Army MI Insignia

Marauder06

Intel Enabler
Verified SOF
Assume, for a moment, that you believe that the Army's MI branch insignia represents everything that is wrong with MI- it is needlessly complicated, cumbersome, and has too much going on to clearly understand everything about it- and that you are tasked to create a new branch insignia for Army MI. What would it look like?

I intend this to be a serious discussion, but humorous suggestions are welcome as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Army_branch_insignia

75px-MI_Corps_Insignia.svg.png

Perhaps something along the lines of a throwback to the OSS

The OSS showing our roots and heritage, the circular form symbolizing global operations and full spectrum capability.

OSS-pin.JPG

In all seriousness, I think it could be something like:

A globe with vertical key or dagger... maybe a dagger blade with a key handle. Crossed key and blade, or just one key on the globe.

An outsider's perspective:

Drop the rose and replace the sun with a north star/ compass rose (Like NATO's insignia). Keep the dagger. Something new and relevant that retains the look of the old insignia.

The sword has always been the symbol of the warrior.

The sun, Helios, has always been the symbol of "overwatch" - all seeing, all knowing.

And the rose has always been the symbol of secrecy - forgive my latin - it's been a few years - but I think the term is "sub rosa," which means "under secrecy"....

So I don't really have a problem with the hearldry of our emblem, sir......with all respect.

I'm thinking crossed daggers... denotes stealth, emphasizes the offensive and defensive nature of intelligence... doesn't look like a "squashed bug."

I'm thinking crossed daggers... denotes stealth, emphasizes the offensive and defensive nature of intelligence... doesn't look like a "squashed bug."

Let's leave the "squashed bug" to the Warant Officer Corps......;)

Crossed daggers are good.......

Have you ever heard the old MI story that our emblem should be ...... two rats, standing knee deep in shit, stabbing each other in the back?

.....so crossed daggers might be very appropriate }:-):p

Let's leave the "squashed bug" to the Warant Officer Corps......;)

Crossed daggers are good.......

Have you ever heard the old MI story that our emblem should be ...... two rats, standing knee deep in shit, stabbing each other in the back?

.....so crossed daggers might be very appropriate }:-):p

Haven't heard that one before, but based on my pre-SOF experience, that is pretty accurate.

Would have to add, "in the dark... with all of the other animals standing around, pointing and laughing."

The sword has always been the symbol of the warrior.

The sun, Helios, has always been the symbol of "overwatch" - all seeing, all knowing.

And the rose has always been the symbol of secrecy - forgive my latin - it's been a few years - but I think the term is "sub rosa," which means "under secrecy"....

So I don't really have a problem with the hearldry of our emblem, sir......with all respect.

Works for me.

Never been a big fan of changing things for the sake of change.

I like the current one as is. Crossed daggers sounds good but maybe the 18 series guys might not care for it hahaha

I like this one with the sphinx and the key.

Attachments

• CIcenter.jpg
    CIcenter.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 77
Actually, that's not too far from the truth. Had a couple of non-violent spy vs. spy encounters with some Saudi and Qatari (at least that was the license plate on their car, and I didn't let them know that I knew) who were pretending to be "stuck" in the sand one afternoon.

Nothing funnier than a bunch of uniformed MI Joes and Arab security agents warily circling and checking each other out. Kind of like when Larry David gives that "look" to someone on his show, trying to catch them in some bullshit.

Back