Army pathways

NickCheetahMedic

Unverified
Army Community,

Hope everyone is doing well. My names Nicholas. I’m 26 yo from Fresno, CA. I’ve worked as a civilian Paramedic on an ambulance for the past 2 years and have worked in EMS for 5 plus. I’m currently working on an 8 month plan with the intentions to enlist in the Army and leave in June 2020.
I’m looking to strengthen my discipline and leadership skills. I want to advance my medical knowledge and learn combat roles. I see the Army as an opportunity to better myself and apply my knowledge and skills wherever needed.
Currently I’m trying to decide between a 68W with Option 40 or 18x contract.
I have strong medical knowledge and much experience with application. I know I still have much to learn though.
Physically I’m not currently in the best shape but have potential and time to train and become above proficiency at time of bootcamp. I’ve been a PT enthusiast in previous years.
What’re your guy’s opinion?
Any advice is welcome. Let’s talk.

N. Rold.

Truth in lending - 18x is NOT an MOS. It is just a way of tracking new boots as they flow through the pipeline. You also dont always get to pick your SF MOS. Being a Nationally Registered Paramedic certainly might help to get you aligned as an 18D later in the pipeline but when you sign an 18x contract, you will go to Fort Benning to become an 11B well before the system decides which SF MOS you will get.

-After you complete Infantry Boot Camp you will go to Airborne School. If for some reason you cannot or will not complete Airborne school - you will get assigned as an Infantryman according to the needs of the Army.
-After Airborne School you will do SFAS - if that doesn't pan out - you will get assigned as an Infantryman according to the needs of the Army.
-After selection you will find out what SF MOS training you will attend.

That is a lot of time and effort spent "hoping" that they put you in the 18D track. Selection and the needs of the Regiment have a lot to do with your MOS. Keep in mind, the sole purpose of SFAS is to assess your trainability and suitability for service in the SF Regiment. The vehicle for that assessment is your demonstrated level of physical fitness, motivation, and the ability to cope with stress. I would tell you that MANY candidates look at the minimum PT standards as a baseline - don't fall for that illusion. If your best is just meeting the minimum standards, your chance of success goes way down. If your body is not in GOOD condition your chance of injury during selection goes way up. Don't focus on the minimum standard, focus on doing your very best.

If you really want to advance your medical knowledge and do it in a way that allows you to serve the nation - 68W would be your best bet. You could still go to Airborne School and you can always go to SFAS sometime down the road if your interests and goals change.

Best Wishes and Good Luck

(Mod Edit - moved post here from Intro thread). Ooh Rah

Last edited by a moderator:
The two jobs are different, the schools are somewhat different, your downrange experience is different...

What do you know about the 75th and SF? You need to look at the two units and decide based upon that, not what schools you'll attend.

The two jobs are different, the schools are somewhat different, your downrange experience is different...

What do you know about the 75th and SF? You need to look at the two units and decide based upon that, not what schools you'll attend.
Thank you for the response!
I’m pretty ignorant on both jobs.
I like SF 18D because of the opportunity to broaden my scope of practice and apply my medical knowledge and skills to other countries and it’s communites. I like that you’ll learn more languages and have a better path towards PA after the service.
I like the 75th because of the combat and opportunities to be an elite combat medic. I like team and physicality aspect.

Thank you for the response!
I’m pretty ignorant on both jobs.
I like SF 18D because of the opportunity to broaden my scope of practice and apply my medical knowledge and skills to other countries and it’s communites. I like that you’ll learn more languages and have a better path towards PA after the service.
I like the 75th because of the combat and opportunities to be an elite combat medic. I like team and physicality aspect.

Re the bold above, you also just described SF. I'm not going to beat you up for not knowing what you don't know. I do want to illustrate how much you have to learn about the units in general.

With that said, @Box's post is awesome, as it should be given his time in SF.

Good luck.

Back