Army Snipers in Afghanistan get New M-110 SASS

That would be a move backwards.

I can see it as a marksman's rifle but as a replacment for a bolt action sniper rifle, no way. :2c:

That would be a move backwards.

I can see it as a marksman's rifle but as a replacment for a bolt action sniper rifle, no way. :2c:

Agreed. For a quick reacting short-medium range for use at platoon or section level. But there will always be a need for the precise medium-long range efficiency of a bolt action sniper rifle.

From what I hear the SASS is not meant to replace the SWS, its meant to be a addition to their weaponry. Still, I've read (on a different forum) that its not doing so good.

What do you mean by "not doing so good" ?

I'm not one for trying to correct people, but If I haven't seen first hand that a weapons systems performance is either poor or fantastic, I'm not going to take someones opinion on an open forum on the net.

Was this person citing " not doing so good" an SOF soldier with hands on experience ?? Why did the SR-25/Mk11 run so well for SOF units and this rifle does not ? They are made almost exactly the same, except for piston driven operation (Big +) and some minor changes to the rail system, BUIS's, and mounts. And, the suppressor (silencer) is about 2 1/4 inches longer with a newer baffle system and ported expansion chamber allowing for an more quite sound signature. In the video it still leaves a slight sonic crack down range. With a slightly heavier load I've heard this suppressor literally leave only the sound of the bolt cycling and slight "whisp" out of the barrel.

Sounds like to me a good weapon system, but then again I'm not a sniper, never have been, but I'll throw in my personal opinion anyway. :rolleyes:

I will add that there may be "mission creep" with this particular weapon system, both here on the forum and in the field with the men that sport them down range.

It was the opinion of a former SOTIC instructor on PS.

I just did an advanced searched over at PS.COM using "SASS M110" "New Sniper Rifle" "New Sniper Rifle M110" Soldiers Get new M110" etc, etc, etc, etc,

There are no threads or comments regarding the Knights SASS M110.

Did you personally speak with this instuctor ? Is only one instuctors opinion a valid argument for "downing" the rifle to an entire forum ??

If anybody over there should know, it would be Longrange1947, and he's not posted, yet, about the SASS M110 from Knights.

Could you cite a better source than "Some have said" to quantify your statements ??

Pete031 was right about Regiments use of the SR in an urban environment. For us and many SOF groups that have money the semi-auto rifle didn't replace any of the sniper rifle systems it just enhanced the capabilities by adding another weapon to the inventory. Our snipers brought an inventory of firepower with them to threater including the bolt-actions which gives them the discretion of weapon choices for OPs. Like demo18c said it is an "addition" for the big Army.
BTW Regiment just got a new bolt-action }:-) and that is all I am saying :-x

..If anybody over there should know, it would be Longrange1947, and he's not posted, yet, about the SASS M110 from Knights...

He has posted on it at another forum(SN). PM if you want a link, there is a filter in place on this forum that will not let me post on the location.

Chad

He has posted on it at another forum(SN). PM if you want a link, there is a filter in place on this forum that will not let me post on the location.

Chad

Just for professionalisms sake, let's not bring up any other forum members name again. I stand guilty, but let's keep it off line.

PM please.

I just shot this weapon today.

I was hitting 475 and 535 yards easily. Dialed the elevation, got my wind call and fired. It hit on steel every time.

SOTIC is teaching their classes with this platform instead of the M24.

The one neg... With the suppressor mounted, yes it is quieter, but the weight of the suppressor actually flexes the barrel so that your first shot is dead on, but the next five slowly drop on the paper at the same distance... let it cool, remove the suppressor, blow the gasses out, mount the suppressor, and fire again... bingo.. back onto the point of aim.... that is not good... And this was at a zero target of 200 yds....

Anyone ever hear of this happening??

Other than that, I loved shooting the weapon... I think it is a great spotter rifle, and it would allow your team to fight it's way back to the patrol base...

my.02

I think it is a great spotter rifle, and it would allow your team to fight it's way back to the patrol base...

I'm no Sniper but I think this is the best thing I've read about this rifle.
A guy called Remov (Polish forums, MPnet and HKpro) bangs everyone who writes that "the M24 is here to stay".
The guy never did military nor had any exp. except a few shots on the range.

I just shot this weapon today.

I was hitting 475 and 535 yards easily. Dialed the elevation, got my wind call and fired. It hit on steel every time.

SOTIC is teaching their classes with this platform instead of the M24.

The one neg... With the suppressor mounted, yes it is quieter, but the weight of the suppressor actually flexes the barrel so that your first shot is dead on, but the next five slowly drop on the paper at the same distance... let it cool, remove the suppressor, blow the gasses out, mount the suppressor, and fire again... bingo.. back onto the point of aim.... that is not good... And this was at a zero target of 200 yds....

Anyone ever hear of this happening??

Other than that, I loved shooting the weapon... I think it is a great spotter rifle, and it would allow your team to fight it's way back to the patrol base...

my.02

Im not sure about that. My brother and I manufacture sound suppressors and are also B4s having time on that gun. KAC should have included a zero target with the can and without the can showing that the point of impact shift is very little almost non existent. From a manufacturers standpoint speaking from a theoretical perspective i dont think what you are talking about is possible. It might have been some other variable. How many rounds are through the gun? Has the suppressor been attatched and detattched many many times? The only thing that would cause that is loose tolerances in the qd mechanism. But KAC manufactured that too very tight tolerances for that very reason. It shouldnt be effecting anything. Also i know the can is made of 625 inconel a very high heat resistant nickel alloy, same stuff used on the space shuttle engine. So i doubt that it would be flexing. Any questions feel free to pm me.

11B-B4 I've read that Army Snipers arent too happy with the M110, any truth to that ?

Things it should have had per a very trusted sniper instructor i know was, Crane sopmod stock, surefire can, SPR grip, a few other things cant remember off the top of my head. But I know the biggest complaint is that a ton of them have trigger failure problems. Its supposed to be a two stage but they are all breaking and getting refitted at knights. One of ours went down after 40 rounds.

We still have a good one that we are taking to the Interservice sniper comp this saturday. We'll see what happens with that. It should be a two stage trigger but for some reasons they are breaking and only a single long pull is felt until the rifle touches off extremely gay. But i hear turn around at KAC is only 3 weeks. so not bad. But if this happens in country you are severely deadlined. KAC should and maybe they have passed on knowledge to armorers in the field to be able to fix these triggers. But i dont think so. My only other gripe its fuckin long as hell, collapsable stock and surefire colar tpye reflex can would have been alot nicer to cut the OA length. Would be nice when inserting so haji doesnt know your a sniper

Back