Two Ranger Students Killed in Mountains Phase

• Thread starter Deleted member 2517
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 2517

Always awful losing dudes. Losing guys in training hits different. These are the 2nd and 3rd Ranger students to die in the last two years.

2 Army Ranger cadets killed in Georgia by falling tree

Two Army Ranger cadets died and three others were hurt Tuesday after being struck by a falling tree during a thunderstorm near Dahlonega, Ga., the service said Wednesday.

Staff Sgt. George Taber and 2nd Lt. Evan Fitzgibbon and the injured soldiers, who were not named, were waiting for the storm to clear during a training exercise at Yonah Mountain when the tree fell at about 3:15 p.m., the service said in the statement.

All of them were taken to a local hospital, where Taber and Fitzgibbon were later pronounced dead, according to the Army.

LT Fitzgibbon was a student here at West Point last year and I recognize the name but he wasn't one of my students and I don't recall ever meeting him. I don't know anything about SSG Taber except he was a tabbed 7th Group guy.

RIP brothers.

Well that is tough to read, especially as much camping as I do. I’ve been out in some pretty windy evenings, and I see a “lot” of fallen trees; Sometimes it is really hard to sleep without thinking about what could happen.

Found online; can't attest to its accuracy but it feels right.

This photo is from "Branch Night." This was his reaction to finding out he got Infantry. We did it in the Cadet Mess that year because of COVID. And before anyone asks, no, Bud Light isn't regularly part of the menu.

-----

2LT Evan Fitzgibbon, Class of 2021, died this week in a training incident while taking part in Ranger School. My deepest condolences to his family, fiancé, classmates and friends. From what I’ve heard over the last few days from his closest friends, is how incredible and great of a guy he was. And that he loved to sing, participate in ski patrol and lifeguard classes, hang with the lads and knock back a few during Firstie year and while at Fort Benning. Almost sounds like I kinda knew him and I would’ve gotten along with him very well. Stay strong 2021 and Fitzgibbon family, we’re here to help however we can. Be Thou At Peace, Evan.

1660239576502.png

Attachments

• 1660239537216.png
    1660239537216.png
    913.1 KB · Views: 0
Found online; can't attest to its accuracy but it feels right.

This photo is from "Branch Night." This was his reaction to finding out he got Infantry. We did it in the Cadet Mess that year because of COVID. And before anyone asks, no, Bud Light isn't regularly part of the menu.

-----

2LT Evan Fitzgibbon, Class of 2021, died this week in a training incident while taking part in Ranger School. My deepest condolences to his family, fiancé, classmates and friends. From what I’ve heard over the last few days from his closest friends, is how incredible and great of a guy he was. And that he loved to sing, participate in ski patrol and lifeguard classes, hang with the lads and knock back a few during Firstie year and while at Fort Benning. Almost sounds like I kinda knew him and I would’ve gotten along with him very well. Stay strong 2021 and Fitzgibbon family, we’re here to help however we can. Be Thou At Peace, Evan.

View attachment 40238
I never appreciated the pressure put on younger service members until I turned 30. I see the youngest enlisted folks at 18 and the O’s at 22… and they look like children. Seeing Lt. Fitzgibbon really hits that home. So young, with so much riding on him.

Back