Review Multiple Book Reviews

AWP

SOF Support
Rather than spam threads, here's a roundup of my latest.

Guarding Hitler: The Secret World of the Fuhrer by Mark Felton
Dr. Felton is an actual historian with a fantastic Youtube channel. You should check him out. The book covers Hitler's various PSD's over the years and how they even influenced protocols of the modern Secret Service and other countries' security details. It is well written, well researched, and covers the time from pre-beer hall to burning his body outside of the Fuhrer Bunker. Personalities, their fates at the end of the war, all of his various residences, aircraft, and HQ compounds. I thought the air aspect was particularly fascinating. Overall, the book is worth the pickup if you're into that sort of esoteric history.

A Wing and a Prayer: The "Bloody 100th" Bomb Group of the Eight Air Force by Harry H. Crosby
This deserves its own thread, so I'll try to be brief. With Masters of the Air out, the book has particular relevance today. I believe it was even used as source material for the series. Crosby, a navigator, was one of the original crews. He is a masterful storyteller covering both his life and the 100th during his time with the unit. He went from 2LT to Major and the Wing's senior navigator. Wow...the losses, how some crews dropped their bags on their bunks, went on a mission, and never returned. Literally arrived in the morning, checked into the unit, and were dead or POWs by lunch. Social aspects, training, some larger than life personalities...everything. If Masters isn't getting it done for you, go pick up this book.

Before He Wakes: A True Story of Money, Marriage, Sex, and Murder by Jerry Bledsoe
Pretty standard true crime stuff. A woman, living WELL beyond her means, mercs out two husbands under very similar circumstances, all to claim their life insurance. A good book if you're into true crime.

A Handful of Hard Men: The SAS and the Battle for Rhodesia by Hannes Wessels
The title says it all. Great interviews and history of Rhodesia's SAS, their missions (holy shit, some of the missions...), the war, and how it all ended. Fantastic if you want to read about the Rhodesian War.

How to Build a Car by Adrian Newey
As a returning fan to Formula 1, I found this book to be amazing. Really, if you're into cars or racing in general you should read the book. More than an autobio, it rolls Indy and F1 history into engineering discussions. Newey as a real talent for breaking down complex engineering problems and solutions into something a moron like myself can understand. He's designed cars for 7 or 8 driver's championships, Indy 500 winners, and sadly, the car that killed Ayrton Senna. There must be a half-dozen major rules F1 created to offset Newey's ingenuity. He's probably the most successful and impactful engineer in motor racing. A must buy if you're into racing or even cars in general.

How to be an F1 Driver by Jensen Button
I have no clue why these two books have similar titles. Button is the 2009 F1 champion racing for the Brawn team (a series on Hulu is out about the team and the 2009 season) which eventually became today's Mercedes team (how ya' liking that Hamilton news, Toto?) A great autobio with some fun advice, quite cheeky at times, from a guy who takes himself seriously, but not too serious. A very revealing look into what he sacrificed to become a world champion.

I second everything said about A Wing and a Prayer that @AWP said. I listen to audio books as I've mentioned before, and I found myself sitting at my destination wanting to continue listening. I highly recommend it.

I haven't read A Handful of Hard Men: The SAS and the Battle for Rhodesia. However, if you have Audible and its monthly subscription, it is free right now. I just downloaded it for this week's drives. Go get it if you're interested, like me, while it's free.

Back