The Racing Thread

AWP

SOF Support
I know most of you are 4-wheel fans , but some are 2-wheel and that's okay. I'm starting this (until the fascist staff shut us down) for any of your race-worthy discussions. I know you're out there, lurking in the shadows and maybe 1 or 2 of you want to post about your series, drivers, cars, and gossip. This is our support group until the Kempeitai show up and delete this thread.

In F1, Mercedes needs a reset, Max is an unstoppable machine because of physical and mental abuse, and I hope Carlos makes Charles look like Logan Sargeant.

For NASCAR history fans, I highly recommend https://www.youtube.com/@S1apShoes and https://www.youtube.com/@nascarfan4888JJ My NASCAR hate is found here. They do great work.

F1 folks, he does a great job with current events and history.
https://www.youtube.com/@AidanMillward/videos

Anyway, go nuts until @Ooh-Rah reminds us this is a dumb idea and locks the thread.

Hmmmmm, fine.

Hamilton didn't deserve his 8th in Abu Dhabi. Prost was better than Senna. Dale Sr. will never be duplicated. Modern NASCAR sucks because it caters to soccer moms. Indy car is disgruntled or never will be F1 drivers until their WEC ride appears.

Dale Sr. will never be duplicated. Modern NASCAR sucks
I still watch it, but only casually. The cars and drivers are all vanilla, cookie cutters and the culture has changed with the times. I just don't think we can ever get that mojo back. You will never see a rock star like either of the Earnhardt's again, but maybe something can bring it back to respectability someday. I am hard into 1000 hp Trophy Trucks and Baja racing now because its still a wild and aggressive style of endurance racing. Its also where Jimmie Johnson learned to race on 4 wheels and then he went on to rule NASCAR.

Last edited:
Shanghai was boring except for Stroll playing "what, what, in the butt" with Ricciardo. I think Max's jet was rolling before Norris crossed the line. Jos beat trained him well to be the driver he is today.

I just don't think we can ever get that mojo back. You will never see a rock star like either of the Earnhardt's again, but maybe something can bring it back to respectability someday.

I'm with you, Top...the greats are gone. It's just like country music. The guys with grit are gone, the rest are a bunch empty hats with fake southern accents.

Awesome Bill was my man. He still holds the track record at Talladega.

My oldest son, Trevor, 34, was a huuuge NASCAR fan as a boy. When he was 8-9, he could rattle off the Nascar standings. He had every matchbox NASCAR car and would line em up on the living room floor in the order of their standings.

He was absolutely crushed when Dale Sr died. He was about 11. He said, "I don't want to watch sports where people get killed." And he never touched those little cars again, never watched another race.

Last edited:
I'm with you, Top...the greats are gone. It's just like country music. The guys with grit are gone, the rest are a bunch empty hats with fake southern accents.

Awesome Bill was my man. He still holds the track record at Talladega.

My oldest son, Trevor, 34, was a huuuge NASCAR fan as a boy. When he was 8-9, he could rattle off the Nascar standings. He had every matchbox NASCAR car and would line em up on the living room floor in the order of their standings.

He was absolutely crushed when Dale Sr died. He was about 11. He said, "I don't want to watch sports where people get killed." And he never touched those little cars again, never watched another race.

Country music sucks ass now. Guys like Sturgill Simpson still play it, but the media won't. You could say the same about rock, but you'll get accused of being a boomer. A lot of young people I know listen mostly to music, country and rock, from the 70s and 80s....

Awesome Bill Elliott was always blazing fast, and the biggest reason NASCAR put restrictor plates on. I liked Bill, but was a Sr. fan through and through. Drivers nowadays grow up following a career path and most never even get their hands dirty working on cars. Thats where they lost the grit.

Last edited:
Shanghai was boring except for Stroll playing "what, what, in the butt" with Ricciardo. I think Max's jet was rolling before Norris crossed the line. Jos beat trained him well to be the driver he is today.
Don't you love how they pan over to Lawson every time they talk about Riccardo? Lando fucked himself in the Sprint. I'm rooting for him, but he won't win unless Max doesn't finish.

Did you watch the Supercross race Saturday night? Pure chaos.

Don't you love how they pan over to Lawson every time they talk about Riccardo? Lando fucked himself in the Sprint. I'm rooting for him, but he won't win unless Max doesn't finish.

Did you watch the Supercross race Saturday night? Pure chaos.

I didn't see the Supercross race.

This was Ricciardo's first good weekend. I'm not a fan of his and wish Marko would punt him to the moon and give Lawson the seat. Lando has the real chance of getting his first win AFTER Oscar's first win. Lando's "move" in the sprint race was hilarious and the sprint gave me hope that the actual race would be good.

Max is good enough you could put him in this year's Ferrari, Mclaren, or Aston Martin and he'd still win races. He is the poster child for parental abuse making you the perfect athlete. His dad's a piece of shit and was charged with murder or attempted murder, so I guess beating your kid and emotionally breaking his soul wasn't hard for Jos.

I'm on the Logan Sargeant death watch now. Poor dude was promoted beyond his abilities.

That IS pretty cool, but made possible by NASCAR hamstringing two key factors in racing: aero and engines. Maybe some other stuff, I don't know if they have to use spec suspension for example.

Go over to the WEC and Hypercars are reasonably unrestricted. At the 24 Hours of Daytona 1st and 2nd were separated by 2 seconds after 791 laps and 32 and 33 pitstops respectively. Formula 1 can't boast that and NASCAR has close finishes because every car is practically the same.

Adrian Newey potentially leaving RB is insane. Massive W for whatever team signs him.

His cars have 2 each CART titles and Indy 500 wins, 12 Constructors titles, and 13 World Driver's championships. That's unheard of.

Hulk going to Sauber, a seat at Merc open, Silly Season will be ridiculous and potentially kick off months earlier than usual.

Adrian Newey is leaving RB next year. Assuming he signs with a new team he won't be able to touch their car until after the 2026 models are developed.

Adrian Newey potentially leaving RB is insane. Massive W for whatever team signs him.

His cars have 2 each CART titles and Indy 500 wins, 12 Constructors titles, and 13 World Driver's championships. That's unheard of.

Hulk going to Sauber, a seat at Merc open, Silly Season will be ridiculous and potentially kick off months earlier than usual.

Is Hulk really the best choice? I don't know how that's going to work out. Maybe Bearman will get the replacement seat at HAAS. So many team shakeup options.

Adrian Newey is leaving RB next year. Assuming he signs with a new team he won't be able to touch their car until after the 2026 models are developed.
Is this the fallout of the Horner chronicles? Wonder what Marko is thinking. The battle of the owners has to be raging on in spectacular fashion.

Is Hulk really the best choice? I don't know how that's going to work out. Maybe Bearman will get the replacement seat at HAAS. So many team shakeup options.

Is this the fallout of the Horner chronicles? Wonder what Marko is thinking. The battle of the owners has to be raging on in spectacular fashion.
Hulk brings German nationalism to the plate so...Deutschland uber alles? It's good for Audi's marketing and allows them to bring in a rookie to learn. I guess that's the play?

My take based upon rumors and other shit which do not matter:
1) Newey likes a challenge
2) Newey has openly expressed his desire to make street-legal hyper cars
3) Newey has won with most of the other players

If you read Newey's book, he wants to design a street legal car using F1 tech. He's sort of done this with McLaren, AMR probably won't allow this, Mercedes has a pile of money and not much else. You're left with RB (leaving), Williams (worked for them before but they are a dumpster fire now), and Ferrari. Ferrari will allow Newey to build whatever street legal dump truck he desires.

Enter Max/ Jos/ Marko and the rest. They are the wild cars. On the surface Ferrari is a lock, but personalities could send Max to Mercedes.

Also, Logan Sargeant is fired around the mid-break. Enter Liam Lawson at some point.

Back