Army to Extend OSUT for Infantry Soldiers

Thats great for the infantry! Does that mean they'll be as cool as 0311's now? :ROFLMAO: Seriously though, I know the 11B's in my battalion PT'd hard, and I didn't see how 14 weeks of OSUT was enough to get guys in that kind of shape.

I hope they spend that extra time wisely and not end up having guys standing around %50 longer LOL.

11Bs might someday approach the coolness of 0311s...but 0311s will never reach the coolness of 0331s. It's science. (Stay out of this, SOF).

Soldiers: Hey, what if we actually trained before we went to war?

Infantry Branch:
images

This would not have been possible five years ago. I think the Marine Corps should follow suit. Only thing training makes you is deadlier.

ITB is 59 days, on top of boot camp, that's about 20 weeks now. I've been away so long I don't know the curriculum (I did med support there for a bit many years ago. Easy duty).

People need to be reminded that we are war fighters and trained to be just that. Infantry has one purpose and they should always be at the top of their game. Good for the Army for doing something that should be done!

Sgt. Maj. of the Army Daniel A. Dailey said. “This pilot program is the first step toward achieving our vision of the Army of 2028. With more time to train on critical Infantry tasks, we’ll achieve greater lethality.”

I like the word, “lethality”.

Sgt. Maj. of the Army Daniel A. Dailey said. “This pilot program is the first step toward achieving our vision of the Army of 2028. With more time to train on critical Infantry tasks, we’ll achieve greater lethality.”

I like the word, “lethality”.

It reminds me of something I heard a battalion Commander say once, and I am paraphrasing: the purpose of the military is to kill people and destroy stuff in the interest of national policy; everything else is either support or a waste of money and manpower.

In OIF during the surge, 3rd ID was getting choppered in to Al-Anbar taking on the last of the major AQ villages and capturing HVT's. I'm not saying that conventional forces can replace SOF doing these types of missions, but any combat arms unit can patrol a muhalla. Infantry should be out busting heads all the time, and the Army should have realized that a long time ago. I hope this extra training encompasses that.

The Army and Marines exist to put a 19 YO with a fully automatic weapon at a 10-digit grid coordinate. Almost everything else is in support of that goal. I don't care if they make Basic 30 weeks long, I want that 19 YO to hold his/ her post until properly relieved and then go home to see their family.

There's always some OJT once you reach your combat unit, providing you live long enough to learn from it; but the right kind of training makes your odds go up.

Last edited:
The Army and Marines exist to put a 19 YO with a fully automatic weapon at a 10-digit grid coordinate. Almost everything else is in support of that goal. I don't care if they make Basic 30 weeks long, I want that 19 YO to hold his/ her post until properly relieved and then go home to see their family.

Agree 100%

I hope the 8 extra weeks teach our guys to EAT hearts and minds....and not try to win them....

;-)8-):-oO_o

Back