Army to Extend OSUT for Infantry Soldiers

Based on some of the servicemembers I saw in Afghanistan, we don't have a problem eating....

I spoke to a guy who had done some work at Ft Mead. His observation was "I didn't know the military let people get that big!"

It's unit and leadership dependent, but when the majority of your population is fat, well it will reflect.

There is a ton of things that have changed over the last 17 years, and OSUT has needed a face lift since I went through. Hell just weapons/equipment, theater TTP's, vehicles and TC3 would eat up 8 weeks. And would greatly increase any new minted Infantryman effectiveness.

They better put the 25 mile footmarch back in the program...all you guys wearing crossed rifles, that didn't do that or the stairway to heaven (the real 12 mile one) are cheaters...😛

It's unit and leadership dependent, but when the majority of your population is fat, well it will reflect.

There is a ton of things that have changed over the last 17 years, and OSUT has needed a face lift since I went through. Hell just weapons/equipment, theater TTP's, vehicles and TC3 would eat up 8 weeks. And would greatly increase any new minted Infantryman effectiveness.

They better put the 25 mile footmarch back in the program...all you guys wearing crossed rifles, that didn't do that or the stairway to heaven (the real 12 mile one) are cheaters...😛

Says the Sand Hill grad ;-)

(Harmony Church 1988)

As an aside, we had to do 25s to get the unit certified by division...At least once a year, maybe twice (memory is getting fuzzy). Division standard was <8hrs, as a company with ruck and gear. Nothing more than other guys did, but they did suck.

Come to California, they said. It'll be fun, they said...

Based on some of the servicemembers I saw in Afghanistan, we don't have a problem eating....
I spoke to a guy who had done some work at Ft Mead. His observation was "I didn't know the military let people get that big!"
Maybe if you're in the rear with the gear. Not saying there ain't fat guys in the Infantry, but I could swear that the majority fatties are from the support brigades. It's kinda hard to get fat when you're getting fed twice a day and you're having to supplement rations with food sent from home, or acquired locally, to keep your body from cannibalizing itself.

As an aside, we had to do 25s to get the unit certified by division...At least once a year, maybe twice (memory is getting fuzzy). Division standard was <8hrs, as a company with ruck and gear. Nothing more than other guys did, but they did suck.

Come to California, they said. It'll be fun, they said...

OSUT 2002, our FTX ended with a 25+ mile footmarch, full kit, with 5 mission broke up along the way (ambush, cliff assault, downed pilot, resupply and a Recon patrol), ending with the crossrifles ceremony. I think we kicked off at 0400 and finished around 2100'ish.

I did a few long rucks after OSUT but they were all fun rucks. All my units stuck to the EIB standards (12miles in 3 hours full kit). I think when I was in the scout platoon we did an 18 mile cross country, but that wasn't for standards.

Last edited:
Back