Army to Field MultiCam in Afghanistan

Secretary of Army Approves Multicam for OEF
February 19th, 2010 LTC Cummings of the Army Public Affairs Office has confirmed that the Secretary of the Army, the Honorable John McHugh approved a plan today to begin the fielding of MultiCam uniforms and individual equipment as soon as possible. Sources have informed Soldier Systems Daily that the Army plans to begin issuing as early as July of this year for Afghanistan bound troops and to complete the initial fielding by May of 2011.

http://soldiersystems.net/

Good news- maybe this will begin the phase out of ACUs, MARPAT, whatever the Navy and Air Force are calling their uniforms now, and a return to ONE services-wide uniform like when we had BDU/DCU.

Now if the Army would just get rid of that ridiculous black beret (but at least we don't have fuzzy black boots- Go Navy!).

Good news- maybe this will begin the phase out of ACUs, MARPAT, whatever the Navy and Air Force are calling their uniforms now, and a return to ONE services-wide uniform like when we had BDU/DCU.

Now if the Army would just get rid of that ridiculous black beret (but at least we don't have fuzzy black boots- Go Navy!).

I've always said that it will come down to the bean counters in the end...

Army Times Article

The secretary of the Army announced today that the Army will provide combat uniforms in the MultiCam pattern to all soldiers deploying to Afghanistan in support of Operation Enduring Freedom, starting this summer.
This decision follows a rigorous four-month evaluation and reflects the Army's commitment to giving soldiers in Afghanistan the most effective concealment possible.

Soldiers deploying to Afghanistan this summer will receive fire resistant Army combat uniforms in MultiCam, along with associated equipment including body armor, rucksacks, and helmet covers.

The Army's selection of MultiCam for soldiers in Afghanistan culminates phase III of a four-phase plan to thoroughly and deliberately evaluate camouflage alternatives.

The Army took action in fall 2009 to provide two battalion-size elements in Afghanistan with uniforms and associated gear in patterns other than the standard-issue universal camouflage pattern (UCP).
One unit received uniforms and gear in MultiCam, and the other in a variant of UCP known as UCP - Delta.

In addition, the Army deployed a team of experts to Afghanistan in October to gather extensive data and photos on the diverse environments of Afghanistan, where soldiers often travel through multiple environments in a single mission, from snow to woodland to desert.

The Army incorporated the information gathered into a photo simulation study it then administered to nearly 750 soldiers who had deployed to Afghanistan. The study asked them to compare six patterns against eight different environments. The results, along with surveys of soldiers in the two battalions who received alternate camouflage, formed the basis for the Army’s decision on MultiCam.

The Army will now implement phase IV of its plan for camouflage, which is to evaluate long-term Army combat uniform camouflage options for all soldiers.

Camouflage alternatives represent one facet of the Army’s ongoing efforts to improve the Army combat uniform. The Army has made more than 26 improvements to the ACU since it was first fielded in June 2004.

This shouldn'tbe an Army initiative- this should be DoD-wide. One standard ground combat uniform for the general purpose forces; call it a GCU.

This shouldn'tbe an Army initiative- this should be DoD-wide. One standard ground combat uniform for the general purpose forces; call it a GCU.

Never happen. MARPAT works (unlike other patterns) and the Corps has too much invested in it to change without good reason.

A directive from the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs would be a pretty good reason.

The parochialness of the services has to end. The way forward for our military is joint- all this "I want to be different" stuff needs to stop. Having multiple uniforms is an enormous waste of time and money, and creates a logistical burden for the forwards forces (having to manage multiple different sets of uniforms). If MARPAT is the best we can get, then let's outfit all of the services with it. I would have no problem wearing MARPAT if that's the best uniform out there; I already think it's better than ACUs.

A directive from the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs would be a pretty good reason.

The parochialness of the services has to end. The way forward for our military is joint- all this "I want to be different" stuff needs to stop. Having multiple uniforms is an enormous waste of time and money, and creates a logistical burden for the forwards forces (having to manage multiple different sets of uniforms). If MARPAT is the best we can get, then let's outfit all of the services with it. I would have no problem wearing MARPAT if that's the best uniform out there; I already think it's better than ACUs.

The Corps designed a new uniform, the Army tried to follow suit and made a horrendous decision. Now to say "We should all look alike" or "the parochialness of the services has to end" makes the Army look like poor losers. The Army was all about being Army Strong & having their own cool-guy duds, until they realized they chose poorly. Now all of the sudden we should all change to the Army's way of doing business?

If you want to spend millions more dollars to outfit the Army with ANOTHER uniform (how many has it been so far in the 21st century?) go ahead, but I don't see any reason to spend millions more on top of that to force all the other services to buy new uniforms.

The Corps designed a new uniform, the Army tried to follow suit and made a horrendous decision. Now to say "We should all look alike" or "the parochialness of the services has to end" makes the Army look like poor losers. The Army was all about being Army Strong & having their own cool-guy duds, until they realized they chose poorly. Now all of the sudden we should all change to the Army's way of doing business?

If you want to spend millions more dollars to outfit the Army with ANOTHER uniform (how many has it been so far in the 21st century?) go ahead, but I don't see any reason to spend millions more on top of that to force all the other services to buy new uniforms.

Maybe the other services would have adopted MarPat if the marines hadn't copyrighted the pattern?
Everyone (exept the Marines) should go to Multicam, that way the Marines can be disticntive, and manage their own shit.

I can appreciate the Corps' position, but with the exception of the EGA weren't their BDUs the same as those worn by the other services? Suddenly digital camo comes along and every service has to have their own uniform?

I could care less whose uniform we use or what the background story is, but as a taxpayer is all of this "diversity" needed?

I know on a daily basis I see the services crow about being joint or "purple" and then garbage like this comes up. We can't even get computer networks to talk so a uniform is no surprise. Maybe the best way to be "purple" is to be the same in some respects......

Were a military. Shit isn't fair and it isn't always equal. We've forgotten that.

Maybe the other services would have adopted MarPat if the marines hadn't copyrighted the pattern?
Everyone (exept the Marines) should go to Multicam, that way the Marines can be disticntive, and manage their own shit.

Haven't had any problems so far...

I can appreciate the Corps' position, but with the exception of the EGA weren't their BDUs the same as those worn by the other services? Suddenly digital camo comes along and every service has to have their own uniform?

I could care less whose uniform we use or what the background story is, but as a taxpayer is all of this "diversity" needed?

I know on a daily basis I see the services crow about being joint or "purple" and then garbage like this comes up. We can't even get computer networks to talk so a uniform is no surprise. Maybe the best way to be "purple" is to be the same in some respects......

Were a military. Shit isn't fair and it isn't always equal. We've forgotten that.

AFAIK the old woodlands were exactly the same for every service. Until 1992, all we had on them was an EGA iron-on patch on the pocket (and stenciled names on the back for the ship's laundry on a deployment that faded in two months). Forced you to learn people's names. Then we had to get name & service tapes so we'd look more like the other services :rolleyes:. Then the CMC decided he wanted new cammies, research was done, and the CANPAT was the best pattern we found. Did some mods & came up with MARPAT. Then the roof fell in and everyone wanted their own patterns. Personally, I think the other services patterns were chosen more on "diversity" then effectiveness. I haven't heard anyone say negative things about MARPAT, either the colors or materials. But I don't think I've heard anything positive about the other patterns.

Personally, I could care less; I'm not buying anymore cammies. But everyone was happy to jump on the "we need our own pattern" until they realized the pattern they'd chosen was crap (Tiger stripes? Blue cammies on ship? Really?). Now somehow, we should all go back to wearing the same cammies... :rolleyes:

Funny you mention that - I got out just before MARPAT came into existence... I was at DLI and could hear all the other NCOs goofing on it. Look who had the last laugh. ;) Semper fi!

Funny you mention that - I got out just before MARPAT came into existence... I was at DLI and could hear all the other NCOs goofing on it. Look who had the last laugh. ;) Semper fi!

Trust me I was WAY pissed when MARPAT became mandatory. I had 18 years in, 12 sets of serviceable woodlands, and at LEAST 5-6 pairs of green jungle boots in the closet. I was good for the rest of my career. Then the order went out. :(

Luckily I was able to take the woodland cammies with me to Thailand for CG 03 and sell them to Thai Marines (they wear/wore woodlands, but the ones they were issued were crap) for drinking money. Got rid of every pair. :D

AFAIK the old woodlands were exactly the same for every service. Until 1992, all we had on them was an EGA iron-on patch on the pocket (and stenciled names on the back for the ship's laundry on a deployment that faded in two months). Forced you to learn people's names. Then we had to get name & service tapes so we'd look more like the other services :rolleyes:. Then the CMC decided he wanted new cammies, research was done, and the CANPAT was the best pattern we found. Did some mods & came up with MARPAT. Then the roof fell in and everyone wanted their own patterns. Personally, I think the other services patterns were chosen more on "diversity" then effectiveness. I haven't heard anyone say negative things about MARPAT, either the colors or materials. But I don't think I've heard anything positive about the other patterns.

Personally, I could care less; I'm not buying anymore cammies. But everyone was happy to jump on the "we need our own pattern" until they realized the pattern they'd chosen was crap (Tiger stripes? Blue cammies on ship? Really?). Now somehow, we should all go back to wearing the same cammies... :rolleyes:

Honestly, I hated the service specific patterns when they first came out and liked the idea that the Corps had: One for woodland, one for the desert as opposed to this one color fits all crap (and I don't even know how to speak about the Navy's decision).

Were I king for a day, I'd go to the same pattern, the same uniform for all of the services (multicam/ 1 for the woods, 1 for the sand/ whatever) with name and branch tapes. Choose a branch-specific piece of headgear if you want, same with your field/ Deuce gear, and go from there.

We're worried about the wrong things, IMO.

The MARPAT desert ia hot shit and IMHO works better in Iraq then any of the other stuff to MC included. But MC is the the best all around camo I have seen yet. The MARPAT wood's is to dark and I only see the benfit in a dark jungle terrain. MC from what I can tell blends with Afghanistan a lot better then the MARPAT, ACU and DCU.

I agree with Free that there needs to be standard uniforms for the US Military and the each branch has their own needs to go. If MARPAT works better for me in Iraq I should be able to wear it with out having to be a Marine and the same goes for MC, ACU, blahhhhh. Personally I liked the old BDU and if we would have been able to use MARPAT desert for Iraq we would have been GTG, but nope can't wear that "you have to be a Marine" :uhh:

At this point I just hope the Army shit can's ACU and uses MC or something better. I would even take the stupid ACU-D, some thing to make the Michelin man clown suit a little less "hey look at me i glow" and a little more "hey I can at least hide at night now"... :doh:

Honestly, I hated the service specific patterns when they first came out and liked the idea that the Corps had: One for woodland, one for the desert as opposed to this one color fits all crap (and I don't even know how to speak about the Navy's decision).

Were I king for a day, I'd go to the same pattern, the same uniform for all of the services (multicam/ 1 for the woods, 1 for the sand/ whatever) with name and branch tapes. Choose a branch-specific piece of headgear if you want, same with your field/ Deuce gear, and go from there.

We're worried about the wrong things, IMO.

Ditto. One "joint" service, one "joint" uniform (or two, woodland/desert). The services wasted millions on R&D designing their own uniforms and re-equipping the force. Not to mention the logistical nightmare created forward. And now I read that the Army has "female cut" ACUs? :uhh:

Look at the photo of the soldiers in the article, awesomely cammed uniforms while carrying BLACK rifles :rolleyes:

Ditto. One "joint" service, one "joint" uniform (or two, woodland/desert). The services wasted millions on R&D designing their own uniforms and re-equipping the force. Not to mention the logistical nightmare created forward. And now I read that the Army has "female cut" ACUs? :uhh:

To the guys advocating one uniform for all branches as in Mara's post above.

What about the dress uniform? You think we should have one for all? Personally Id take the Marine's dress uniform over the Army's in a heartbeat but I think the Corps would mutiny.

Back