Army to Field MultiCam in Afghanistan

To the guys advocating one uniform for all branches as in Mara's post above.

What about the dress uniform? You think we should have one for all? Personally I'd take the Marine's dress uniform over the Army's in a heartbeat but I think the Corps would mutiny.

And so they should. I'm right there with you, Pardus, on those uniforms being the best. Our dress uniforms (USCG) are the same as the Navy's, and while dress whites look great, the Marine's dress blues are hands down the best dress uniform out there. BUT... I would never want to emulate that uniform without earning it the Marine way. (NOTHING looks as good as a Marine in his dress blues IMHO.) :2c:

What about the dress uniform? You think we should have one for all?

No.

A combat uniform as RP mentioned shouldn't provide a "tell" to the bad guys. Dres uniforms can/ should carry some heritage and distinct service-related pride to them. While I think Marine Blues are the sharpest looking uniforms, the Navy's has some history behind it, as does the Army's Blues.....the Air Force, well maybe one day they'll figure something out. :)

The new Army Times has information about the new uniform. The multicam for the ACU for Afghanistan, and a new and improved ACU for everyone. Includes buttons back on the cargo pockets, better collar, and better crotch area.

They also have a picture of the new navy uniform.

No scanner at the moment because I'm in the world of TRADOC via guard learning to analyze and stuff... brains being sucked out like a zombie, but the website may have some pics

Multicam ...
Soldiers receive new MultiCam ACUs, gear

By Lance M. Bacon - Staff writer
Posted : Monday Aug 23, 2010 5:06:29 EDT

CAMP SHELBY, Miss. — A new Army Combat Uniform — boasting nearly a dozen improvements — was unveiled here Aug. 10, and received the quick approval of roughly 3,600 Iowa National Guard soldiers headed to the ’Stan.

The attention-getting ACUs were one of a dozen changes made to improve the safety, comfort and functionality of the Army combat uniform and combat load. Each soldier received 22 new or improved items, all of which were fielded in the Army’s new MultiCam pattern — what the Army calls OCP, which stands for Operation Enduring Freedom Camouflage Pattern.

The upgrades, driven largely by soldier input, went from idea to issue in only nine months — a turnaround the Army’s top NCO characterized as “pretty phenomenal.”

“The OCP allows soldiers to get far closer to the enemy before being observed, and I believe [the uniform is] safer,” Sgt. Maj. of the Army Kenneth O. Preston said. “And we’ve never issued equipment faster than we are now.”

The new gear will be issued to the two brigade combat teams deploying to Afghanistan each month. In addition, a phased approach for troops with at least 120 days left in theater will begin in December and is expected to last no more than eight months.

While the MultiCam pattern is exclusive to Afghanistan, all improvements will also be implemented in the Universal Camouflage Pattern ACUs, according to Brig. Gen. Peter Fuller, Program Executive Office Soldier.

When soldiers will see the new ACUs depends on a few factors. Topping the list is the need to first issue the existing stock to ensure the Army doesn’t get stuck with that bill. But Fuller said the transition should begin “within a matter of months.”

Soldiers can expect a uniform that breathes and wears better, yet provides better flame resistance, Fuller said. The collars are better, the crotches are stronger and there is less Velcro.

The new and improved ACUs include the following upgrades:

• The MultiCam pattern. This is the result of in-depth analysis that started with 57 camouflage patterns. It provided the best concealment in a variety of tests in Afghanistan, and is especially proficient in the rugged terrain near the Pakistani border, service officials said.

• A better collar. Less Velcro and a new design keep it from crumpling up for a more comfortable wear.

• Infrared patches. These are sewn onto a hideaway tab instead of outside the pockets for greater durability. This is to ensure the patches don’t get destroyed through regular wear and tear.

• Buttons on cargo pockets: It’s back to buttons, as Velcro proved too problematic for soldiers trying to carry myriad gear.

• Extended pockets. The Army has added a special “extender button” to the trouser cargo pockets for easier access and expanded carrying capability.

• Stronger crotches. The crotch has been reinforced to reduce the rips that had become all too common.

• Fire resistant. The uniform provides four seconds of flame resistance — time to evade or egress without suffering third-degree burns. The protection also will keep second-degree burns to less than 30 percent. Such protection almost ensures a 100 percent recovery, according to studies by the burn center in San Antonio.

• Insect resistant. The days of treating your own uniforms are over as the preshrunk uniforms will have permethrine treatments before they are issued. The treatments will last for 50 washings, which should more than cover the 120 days this uniform is designed to last.

Four other “Tier 2” MultiCam items are expected to make their way to the troops by February, officials said. They are the aircrew combat uniform, aircrew coveralls, aviation life support gear and fire-resistant environmental ensemble.
New gear, too

In addition to the new ACUs, soldiers from the Iowa National Guard’s 113th Cavalry also received new and improved combat gear.

“There’s a big focus on safety, and that’s good, but there’s also a focus on comfort,” said Staff Sgt. Billy Haley, of the 113th. “If it’s really uncomfortable gear, you’re not going to be 100 percent combat effective. It really is an improvement over what they had.”

Three particular items received repeated praise throughout the fielding.

The new medium-sized ruck sack was a clear hit for soldiers who said the assault pack is too small and the large ruck is too big. In addition, paratroopers will like the pack’s detachable harness, which allows access without compromising pre-jump inspections.

Soldiers also sang the praises of the new Tactical Assault Pack, which evenly distributes 10 magazines while significantly reducing the soldier’s profile.

“These things aren’t getting caught on some part of the vehicle when you’re trying to egress,” said Sgt. 1st Class William Corp, modernization noncommissioned officer for Soldier Clothing and Individual Equipment. “You’re not laying on a big stack of magazines in the prone, and can reach ammo from just about any position. This thing is a huge improvement.”

The “plate carrier” proved to be another popular change. It allows soldiers to abandon their Improved Outer Tactical Vest — thus shedding up to 15 pounds — while keeping vital organs protected from 7.62 caliber, armor-piercing rounds, Corp said.

“If you’re doing ‘running and gunning’ type missions where agility is your security, this is going to work much better,” said Sgt. Ben Leuenhagen, an Iraq veteran serving with the 1st of the 113th Cavalry.

The IOTV will still provide protection from flame and shrapnel, but with three significant changes. The IOTV’s side plate carrier is now adjustable to provide better comfort and protection. The soldier’s quick-release cable is now covered to prevent it from being caught, and the medic cable is contained in a canal to keep it in a comfortable position. This cable enables a medic access to a wounded area without completely removing the soldier’s body armor.

“This is a huge deal because there have been soldiers who have been snagged in a vehicle and died,” said Luenhagen, a combat medic. “This quick release will save lives.”

Other gear improvements include stronger, fire-resistant, combat shirts and a new hydration system with four clips to allow attachment to the outside of gear or body armor.

Soldiers also will get two pair of Danner boots — a decision that won high praise from many returning vets who were getting their new issue here.

Better still, a new boot “that will exceed all expectations” is in its final testing phase, according to Maj. John Bryan, who heads the program. Three lighter, stronger boots are being evaluated. The contract will go out in September, the Army will take delivery in January and soldiers will put the new boots on in the early spring, he said.

Fuller described the boot as “modular,” saying it will have a sock device that can be pulled over it to keep the soldiers’ feet warm without causing them to sweat.
More to come

Soldiers shouldn’t get too comfortable with the MultiCam pattern.

“It is not the new standard,” Fuller said.

In fact, there already are measures in place to ensure the uniform isn’t seen on stateside posts.

But you likely will be wearing a variant in the near future.

Service officials told Army Times they are designing a long-term, “global” camouflage pattern that will support an “expeditionary Army.” In the coming year, officials will identify a pattern that will work well in various environments. Then a set of up to eight colors will provide a woodland, desert and transitional variant will be selected.

Because the cost of organizational clothing and individual equipment is much higher, gear with the same pattern but a broad range of the selected colors will be used with each of the three ACUs, Fuller said.

The Army is moving carefully in this area. Fuller pointed to the Marine Corps as an example, saying the coyote brown on top of green can be identifiable to an adversary.

“When someone is looking to shoot at you, they can recognize where the body armor is and shoot somewhere else,” he said.

Fuller said he understands how this happened: The Marines had one set of OCIE for two uniforms — which is exactly what the Army is looking to do. The difference is that Fuller, pointing to the Marine example, is demanding that the OCIE colors and pattern match each of the various ACUs.

The Soldier System Branch of the Maneuver Center of Excellence at Fort Benning, Ga., is writing requirements and key performance parameters for the colors and patterns. Sources also are being sought within the industrial base that can produce roughly five variants that can be evaluated, said Lt. Col. Michael Sloane, product manager for Soldier Clothing and Individual Equipment.

Officials said the tests may provide a joint solution, adding that the sister services have expressed interest.

A recommendation is expected by 2013.

View attachment 12904

Attachments

• 082310at_OCP1_800.jpg
    082310at_OCP1_800.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 25
If we are going to get different cam when ever we deploy, there is no need to have it stateside at all, they could/should just go back to OD while we are home.

The single best all environment colour uniform IMO was khaki. :2c:

Here's my hope for the female cut ACU:

bikini1.jpg

If we are going to get different cam when ever we deploy, there is no need to have it stateside at all, they could/should just go back to OD while we are home.

The single best all environment colour uniform IMO was khaki. :2c:

Back when they first started talking about MARPAT, I thought we should just go to a single color uniform, khaki-ish (really cyote brown) in color.

Why? Well, you don't see a lot of digital animals, and they seem to hide pretty well. My logic was "if we're in open country, we blend in with the grass/sand; if we're in wooded terrain, we hide behind a tree..."

Seems like it'd make us all uniform, be cheap to produce, and we could worry about things like fit, form, & function instead of colors.

Seems like it'd make us all uniform, be cheap to produce, and we could worry about things like fit, form, & function instead of colors.

Blasphemy! That makes sense and sounds like it focuses on the real world, not some general's idea of playing dress up with his people.

Kinda off topic, but not really; have any of you seen this before:

http://tigerstripeproducts.com/airforcetiger.htm
Read the letters.

Yeah. :rolleyes:

I've heard that logic before. I was told that only 3% of the AF needs an actual battle specific uniform and that those units would handle the issue themselves. That is true in the fact that PJ/CCT types have always worn modified uniforms in the field. However, I instruct over a 1000 AF students a year that are getting trained to go outside the wire and work with other services. These people do not have that luxury...so whats the AF's answer to that? They dont give a shit IMO. That 97% of the AF doesnt understand the need to modify uniforms, dress up/down for field conditions etc. I've treated countless heat injuries in this summer alone. Yes there are factors attributed to not being acclimated to the environment and being out of shape. But I wear that same damn uniform out in the heat all day just like them and it is absolutely ridiculous! The AF needs to pull their head out of their ass and reevaluate the whole damn issue. I've invited leadership of mine to come spend the day out in that POS uniform doing what we do and then ask them their feelings on venting a uniform and the overall impracticality of it. I've yet to have anyone take me up on the offer. They want us to be uniform...its the military and I get that. So do the smart thing and design a uniform for people other than desk and clerical workers. They seem more concerned with creating some AF distinguished uniform and not having to iron and polish their boots.

:2c:

I've heard that logic before. I was told that only 3% of the AF needs an actual battle specific uniform and that those units would handle the issue themselves. That is true in the fact that PJ/CCT types have always worn modified uniforms in the field. However, I instruct over a 1000 AF students a year that are getting trained to go outside the wire and work with other services. These people do not have that luxury...so whats the AF's answer to that? They dont give a shit IMO. That 97% of the AF doesnt understand the need to modify uniforms, dress up/down for field conditions etc. I've treated countless heat injuries in this summer alone. Yes there are factors attributed to not being acclimated to the environment and being out of shape. But I wear that same damn uniform out in the heat all day just like them and it is absolutely ridiculous! The AF needs to pull their head out of their ass and reevaluate the whole damn issue. I've invited leadership of mine to come spend the day out in that POS uniform doing what we do and then ask them their feelings on venting a uniform and the overall impracticality of it. I've yet to have anyone take me up on the offer. They want us to be uniform...its the military and I get that. So do the smart thing and design a uniform for people other than desk and clerical workers. They seem more concerned with creating some AF distinguished uniform and not having to iron and polish their boots.

:2c:

Thought you'd find this humerous:

http://www.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123219081

8/24/2010 - WASHINGTON -- "We are committed to equipping Airmen with the most advanced capabilities available at the earliest time possible," Air Force officials said Aug. 24. "Based on feedback from Airmen, we believe the Operation Enduring Freedom Camouflage Pattern (OCP) provides advanced protection to servicemembers while operating outside the wire in Afghanistan. Army (officials), while beginning an aggressive fielding schedule, (are) working with Air Force (officials) to support developing a long-term joint fielding strategy later this year."

(Courtesy of Secretary of the Air Force Public Affairs)

Back