Aspergers

coolusername

Unverified
So I just posted my intoduction. So here's why i joined this site. I have Aspergers syndrome (High functioning Autism) but I have always wanted to be a SEAL. I need a challenge in my life, I have been abused as a kid and that made me stronger mentally. I was diagnosed when I was 3 and I had a loving mother who was a behavioral therapist and from 3 to 9 or 10 I was medicated but at 9 or 10 I was taken off medicine completely and that worked wonders. Anyway I want to practice medicine in SOF. My primary goal is to be a SEAL medic but also SARC and PJ. I know they are all different and all the ways they are. Here's my situation
-17 ,plan on enlisting at 18
-PT with USMC recruiters at least 2× a month
-As and Bs in school
-No criminal record
-Medically as healthy as possible (As a matter of fact its textbook perfect minus unexplained moderate knee pain that I can suck up)
-Not the best swimmer but I am working hard at it
So what's the likelihood of me getting a waiver (I know it isn't great)? But I will at least go to the recruiters office and try.But I can't go against big Navy despite my never quit attitude. Also would it be easier for me to go fleet to SEAL instead of trying to get a SO contract from the recruiters office?

Medically as healthy as possible (As a matter of fact its textbook perfect minus unexplained moderate knee pain that I can suck up)
You may want to consider getting an explanation for your unexplained knee pain. What you’re able to “suck up” now, may not be so easy to do if you find yourself following the path that you desire.

My oldest son has Aspergers. You are definitely more driven than he is :rolleyes:. You took medicine so long ago it may not even matter, just disclose it in your physical paperwork. At one time it was not waiverable, which is just stupid, but it is what it is. Have you asked the Marine recruiters their thoughts when you PT? They may be a good sounding board and place to start; and ask a Navy recruiter.

Waiverable conditions have different weight depending on needs of the service and what the recruitment environment looks like.

One of my close friends who shipped before me with a SEAL contract had Aspergers. I'm not sure he told the Navy or not, but regardless he was able to get a contract. I didn't know he even had it. He speaks multiple languages, and was the toughest candidate I've ever seen. I'd keep it on the DL once you are in the military. You have a bunch of idiots who might not know what that means, and you don't want to get isolated from your peers. A lot of guys don't know what that is, and they may think it means you are weird or something.

When you go to the recruiter for the Navy ask to speak to a NSW Scout. A lot of scouts worked with SEAL and SWCC teams at one point, and their main job is to bring in talent for the PST. It is difficult to go to BUD/s from the fleet. It's possible but there are a lot more factors involved than just your PST scores now. You have your job and the needs of your command that becomes priority.

In 2016 I was at MEPs telling them I wanted to be a SEAL, but I failed depth perception. The people at MEPs immediately started saying "Oh well, guess you need to pick a new job. You can't be a SEAL without depth perception." It was bullshit. I argued with them for 15 minutes and told them that I was not going to join unless SEAL was open for me. They had the officer in charge there call up NSW, and they confirmed that DP was not needed to get a SEAL contract. Don't let anyone bullshit you. They may tell you Aspergers DQs you but you tell them that you want to see where it says it'll disqualify you. They may yell or tell you to leave but their ultimate goal is to sign you up if you meet the qualifications. It isn't personal. If they have to call NSW to get a confirmation then let them do it.

Kill the PST and make that SEAL mentor think "Damn, this guy wants this shit." I washed out in Prep due to femur injuries but if you have any questions about PSTs, Boot camp, or Prep you can message me.

One of my close friends who shipped before me with a SEAL contract had Aspergers. I'm not sure he told the Navy or not, but regardless he was able to get a contract. I didn't know he even had it. He speaks multiple languages, and was the toughest candidate I've ever seen. I'd keep it on the DL once you are in the military. You have a bunch of idiots who might not know what that means, and you don't want to get isolated from your peers. A lot of guys don't know what that is, and they may think it means you are weird or something.

When you go to the recruiter for the Navy ask to speak to a NSW Scout. A lot of scouts worked with SEAL and SWCC teams at one point, and their main job is to bring in talent for the PST. It is difficult to go to BUD/s from the fleet. It's possible but there are a lot more factors involved than just your PST scores now. You have your job and the needs of your command that becomes priority.

In 2016 I was at MEPs telling them I wanted to be a SEAL, but I failed depth perception. The people at MEPs immediately started saying "Oh well, guess you need to pick a new job. You can't be a SEAL without depth perception." It was bullshit. I argued with them for 15 minutes and told them that I was not going to join unless SEAL was open for me. They had the officer in charge there call up NSW, and they confirmed that DP was not needed to get a SEAL contract. Don't let anyone bullshit you. They may tell you Aspergers DQs you but you tell them that you want to see where it says it'll disqualify you. They may yell or tell you to leave but their ultimate goal is to sign you up if you meet the qualifications. It isn't personal. If they have to call NSW to get a confirmation then let them do it.

Kill the PST and make that SEAL mentor think "Damn, this guy wants this shit." I washed out in Prep due to femur injuries but if you have any questions about PSTs, Boot camp, or Prep you can message me.
Im pretty motivated afterall this has been my life goal for a long time. I ain't going to let some petty recruiting bs keep me from accomplishing it, however the NFQ attitude only goes so far fighting big Navy. As far a keeping Aspergers on the DL , you better believe I will. I know the BUD/S instructors will know and give me extra shit, but that will just motivate me to show them but also earn trust. Since a persons reputation at BUD/S follows them their whole SEAL career. A shitbag BUD/S graduate will likely be a shitbag SEAL.

Your situation reminds me of a story from just a month ago, asking the military to allow waivers for high-functioning autism.

why the military should consider a waiver for high functioning autism

The author only mentions the army and marines, but as he mentions the military overall, you may have trouble attempting to enlist if you disclose your condition.
I read that article yesterday while doing updated research. But I feel that I will disclose my condition because
1. It's a federal felony to lie
2. I don't want to graduate BUD/S and them find out and I suffered for 6 months f or nothing
3. That would violate my integrity

So I just posted my intoduction. So here's why i joined this site. I have Aspergers syndrome (High functioning Autism) but I have always wanted to be a SEAL. I need a challenge in my life, I have been abused as a kid and that made me stronger mentally. I was diagnosed when I was 3 and I had a loving mother who was a behavioral therapist and from 3 to 9 or 10 I was medicated but at 9 or 10 I was taken off medicine completely and that worked wonders. Anyway I want to practice medicine in SOF. My primary goal is to be a SEAL medic but also SARC and PJ. I know they are all different and all the ways they are. Here's my situation
-17 ,plan on enlisting at 18
-PT with USMC recruiters at least 2× a month
-As and Bs in school
-No criminal record
-Medically as healthy as possible (As a matter of fact its textbook perfect minus unexplained moderate knee pain that I can suck up)
-Not the best swimmer but I am working hard at it
So what's the likelihood of me getting a waiver (I know it isn't great)? But I will at least go to the recruiters office and try.But I can't go against big Navy despite my never quit attitude. Also would it be easier for me to go fleet to SEAL instead of trying to get a SO contract from the recruiters office?
My primary goal is'nt to be a SEAL and PJ or SARC. I am using a crappy device and I meant to say but also looking into

My oldest son has Aspergers. You are definitely more driven than he is :rolleyes:. You took medicine so long ago it may not even matter, just disclose it in your physical paperwork. At one time it was not waiverable, which is just stupid, but it is what it is. Have you asked the Marine recruiters their thoughts when you PT? They may be a good sounding board and place to start; and ask a Navy recruiter.

Waiverable conditions have different weight depending on needs of the service and what the recruitment environment looks like.
Well then you know Aspergers better than most. If your son can find something to strive for and be inspired by then I think he will be driven as well. But to answer your question yes I have asked them, they all have pushed me to follow my dream and I have talked to a Navy Recruiter and he just gave me the basic SEAL info that I already know. But he said since I am under 18 there isn't much he can do unless I come back with my parents and start at 17 (Which will NOT fucking happen)

I read that article yesterday while doing updated research. But I feel that I will disclose my condition because
1. It's a federal felony to lie
2. I don't want to graduate BUD/S and them find out and I suffered for 6 months f or nothing
3. That would violate my integrity
I was told by my Recruiters to lie. I told the truth and got PDQ. (Marines) They will only pull your file if you come clean at the Moment of Truth, they simply wouldn't pull everyone who goes through MEPS' medical file.
Integrity is a very important thing, it's your call to either lie, or tell the truth.

I have aspergers also. I fear that I will be banned from the military but at the same time I must be honest about what I have.

How do you know that you have Asperger's?
I was diagnosed with it after a check up with a Dr. .They way I talk talk is flat and some say robot like. I im very interested in SOF history especially the United States(Interesting fact did you know that commandos comes from the afrikan word kommandos). I think it is that those that fall in that group have a obsession for things or we just hyper focus on things like sports uniforms or a gun platform even engineering is fucking dope thing to be obsessed with I tell you that.IDK really other then the social issues that is the only difference I see .

Coolusername-

This is anecdotal and worth exactly what you paid for it, but I believe there was an Airman in my brother flight in basic training that had Asperger's. The guys in his flight knew and they were all very sensitive to it, and they were the first to jump on anyone who may have made any remark about him. Unfortunately I can't tell you whether he disclosed his diagnosis to the Air Force or kept it under wraps, but you may want to at least talk to the Air Force and see if it is a disqualifying factor. Best of luck to you on your journey, if you have any questions feel free to message me.

-AV

Back