At some point the Army is going to run out of beret colors

What I do not agree with is this notion that every Marine is "Special".

Yeah, I don't agree with that, either...by a long shot. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the "special" in special operations pertains to the types of missions those unit are tasked with. Aside from Recon, Raiders and Scout/Snipers, the rank and file infantry are generally--with some exceptions for expediency or unique circumstances--confined to conventional operations.

I've met my share of Marines who are anything but "special."

The Marine Corps didn’t want to join SOCOM because the service didn’t want to give up capabilities, resources, and manpower to an organization outside the naval forces. We are a small service and resource taxes like MARSOC, Marine Security Guards, and MARFORCYBER cut us deep.

@DZ you, or SOCOM for that matter, were never the target for that propaganda. I believe that audience has always resides inside our own service. We need our Marines, especially our combat support career fields, to believe they are ‘special’ and strive to live up to that standard. It’s part of what defines us as a service.

The Marine Corps didn’t want to join SOCOM because the service didn’t want to give up capabilities, resources, and manpower to an organization outside the naval forces. We are a small service and resource taxes like MARSOC, Marine Security Guards, and MARFORCYBER cut us deep.

I attended a conference where SOCS-F manpower and training were discussed and I think the entire audience was shocked how small the force actually is. From my experience, the SOCS-F are on par (knowledge, skills, and abilities) with another unnamed unit.

I’d like to see some of the MSOTs debrief their recent CENTCOM experience with Agency historians to preserve the facts.

My comment wasn't directed at anyone on the board, but at the attitude I hear from Marines a lot, ie the reason the Marines didn't join SOCOM to begin with. "All Marines are special already."

Yes, you hear that, because that's what they want you to believe. They say it so often, they start buying into it, too.

And there is a brown one too?

Berets of the United States Army - Wikipedia

I’m going to say something a little controversial, but I’ve always believed that only the Green Berets and the 75th should be authorized to wear that particular headgear. But to add on to what @Vagabond said above:

What fun is it to be Special, if you cannot show everyone you are “Special”.
I'm reposting this oldie because I think its even more relevent. I agree, IMO if you are not Special Operations Forces (Ranger, SF) you dont need a special headgear. It worked fine when conventional soldiers just rocked their PCs. The military should not be handing out trophies to everyone.

I'm reposting this oldie because I think its even more relevent. I agree, IMO if you are not Special Operations Forces (Ranger, SF) you dont need a special headgear. It worked fine when conventional soldiers just rocked their PCs. The military should not be handing out trophies to everyone.
I'm not arguing about the special headgear aspect, but there is a whole lot more to SOF than just SF and the Ranger Regiment, even in just the Army.

Generic ARSOF already have special headgear--the maroon beret, which they share with the conventional airborne forces.

Sure but they can do those same jobs in a patrol cap, right? Sir, its just my opinion but I hated wearing that ridiculous head condom.
I concur. The beret is the second-most useless piece of headgear in the Army, after the garrison cap. But if it's done right, it at least looks cool.

I don't know why the Army is still screwing around with the black beret as wear for the general purpose force. We ***ALL*** hate it. Needless inconvenience and expense. Plus, for those of us who are old enough to remember when it was fielded, simmering resentment.

It was authorized by Shinseki prior to the enlistment surge post 9/11 so I’m betting recruitment had something to do with it. I remember thinking it was a bullshit move.

Yeah, I remember Shinseki basically saying he wanted everyone to feel special but most of the Army down to the lowest Private didn't like wearing the beret and especially taking the black beret from the Rangers. So at least Gen. Shinseki managed to unite us all on something.

The Army is so fucking broken we're agreeing with Cav Scouts. The Cav! Like...what the... fuck, c'mon Army, just...fucking Cav Scouts?

The world is so broken we're agreeing with the Cav? Stetson and spur wearing (at least they have a historical reason, I'll grant them that) "we're as good as the infantry" soldiers?

We deserve to be beaten by syrup snorting Canadian soldiers who smell like a moose's vagina.

OVER BERETS!

The Army is so fucking broken we're agreeing with Cav Scouts. The Cav! Like...what the... fuck, c'mon Army, just...fucking Cav Scouts?

The world is so broken we're agreeing with the Cav? Stetson and spur wearing (at least they have a historical reason, I'll grant them that) "we're as good as the infantry" soldiers?

We deserve to be beaten by syrup snorting Canadian soldiers who smell like a moose's vagina.

OVER BERETS!

Don't forget the Canadian's will be wearing berets that are formed and fit, way better.

We have a Yukon Cap that's for our winter dress uniforms but I've never seen them worn. I think it's mostly a Navy thing. I should see if I can get one. I'd wear it in the winter.

View attachment 40496
Shit, I would wear that anytime! Looks nice and comfortable. Plus I love interesting headwear👍

Back