Back again to the drawing board

///M3

Unverified
Hey folks, I posted a while back last year about deciding to whether to try to go active duty and do my best to get a Ranger contract or stay in the Guard and try out for 20th Special Forces group out of Chicago.

well, I stayed in the guard. Since then I've become airborne qualified and been to the pre-Ranger course down in Benning that's required for all national guard soldiers wanting to go to Ranger School.

i messed up down there, on both the land nav and RPFT. did the RPFT twice and missed the push-ups by 3...and then I knew I had to absolutely nail land nav to have a chance.

got done with one week of the course and right before we were starting our ftx I got booted out because I missed 2 land nav points, not because I didn't find the points, but because I didn't right down the number along with the point punch assigned to them.

here's the down and dirty: I needed to find 5/5 land nav points for the day to stay in the course. I did find all of them. 2 of the points had both a number on them as well as point punchers, and my dumb a*s decided to just mark the point punchers on my score sheet and leave out the numbers. I got done, and ran back to the SP and see an RI.

RI: "Hey Ranger, where the hell are the numbers with these two points you punched in?"
Me: "I just punched in them in sgt since they had them"
RI: "Damnit Ranger you're supposed to f*ckin write down the number to it too!....You know what Ranger, NO GO, failure to follow instructions".

on the flip side of things I didn't quit. we started off with 120 and by the end of the first three days we had less then 80. obstacle course was fun, the worm pit sucks when its 30 degrees outside tho. but I learned a lot and can't wait to go back when I can get another slot.

More recently, a couple of weeks went to the 20th SF tryouts out and got pulled off the ruck march because of a back injury (got a herniated disc that I'm working off). I didn't quit so I was told I could come back for second shot at their training team next March. I am very grateful for going and getting to see just exactly what it takes to earn a spot on an ODA team.

so what now? I'm about to re-enlist for a year, I just passed the second phase of the FBI selection process for Special Agents and waiting to see if I made the list on their Hostage Rescue Team.

Ups and downs but that's what life gives you. We'll see how things work out but so far so good.

Hope all is good with you all and with your families.

Good luck, but my understanding is the National Guard is a no-go for FBI agents. You may have to let one dream go.

Thank you, and yes I would have to let one dream go. more decisions to make but nothing wrong with that, just happy I have prospects and the ability to continue to pursue my dreams.

Good luck with the FBI.

Remember that there are strict qualifications for the TRP. If you make it through the screening, you still have to do two years in a field office before you basically try out for HRT again. TRP is a slightly faster way to HRT than the normal path most SAs take but it's far from a guaranteed billet.

Good luck with the FBI.

Remember that there are strict qualifications for the TRP. If you make it through the screening, you still have to do two years in a field office before you basically try out for HRT again. TRP is a slightly faster way to HRT than the normal path most SAs take but it's far from a guaranteed billet.

Thank you.

That's cool, that's what I gathered on their website as well. I'm waiting to hear back if I made the list, hopefully tomorrow I'll have good news.

Best of luck to you, being a SA with the FBI is a hell of an acomplishment in its self. Making it on the HRT would be a major bonus as well, but keep your sights on the 25m target. Again best of luck to you and keep us updated (I can always use another SA buddy to call on). ;)

Tactical Recruiting Program.
The operational tempo for HRT has been high in the years since the terrorist attacks of 9/11/01. This has required that the staffing of HRT be increased to meet these demands. For the first time, the FBI is seeking candidates with special tactical qualifications, to become Special Agents (SA), and to serve as HRT Operators. This competitive program will be open to candidates with extensive tactical experience. To qualify, candidates must be fully qualified as Special Agents, and possess at least three years of either law enforcement or military tactical experience. Tactical candidates should be in excellent physical condition. Tactical candidates are required to perform to an enhanced standard on the FBI Physical Fitness Test. Physical fitness is one of the dimensions evaluated in this competitive program. Candidates must also demonstrate motivation and commitment to apply for the HRT when eligible, and to serve on the team if selected. Persons employed under the FBI Tactical SA program will receive accelerated eligibility to attend HRT selection, with possible assignment to the HRT.

To apply for the FBI Tactical Recruiting Program (TRP), applicants must first apply for the FBI Special Agent position using the on-line application. The link to the TRP application is located at the end of the SA application. Those candidates who qualify as SA applicants and the TRP based on the on-line applications, will be scheduled for the Phase I test. Those candidates who pass the Phase I test will then have a telephonic interview with the HRT personnel. The purpose of the interview is to verify tactical qualifications and ensure the candidate is fully informed about the TRP as it relates to the SA hiring process.

Those candidates who pass the telephonic interview will continue their SA processing as TRP candidates. Those candidates not deemed competitive as TRP candidates will be so informed, and will continue their SA processing under their original critical skills category. Those persons not accepted as TRP candidates, who later become FBI SAs, will later be eligible to try out for HRT under existing program guidelines.

http://www.fbi.gov/jobs

If you got pulled off SFAS because of back injuries, the Academy, HRT selection, and NOTS (if you make it through the Academy and selection; the majority don't) are going to be tough.

If you got pulled off SFAS because of back injuries, the Academy, HRT selection, and NOTS (if you make it through the Academy and selection; the majority don't) are going to be tough.

Understood, it's been about 4 weeks since the injury and I've started to work out again this past weekend. I'm able to run and all the fun stuff, just going to take a bit longer off before I start rucking again. just depends on what my doc and physical therapist say.

Good luck, but my understanding is the National Guard is a no-go for FBI agents. You may have to let one dream go.

I actually just went through a TRADOC school house with an FBI agent. There are probably a few exceptions.

RI: "Hey Ranger, where the hell are the numbers with these two points you punched in?"
Me: "I just punched in them in sgt since they had them"
RI: "Damnit Ranger you're supposed to f*ckin write down the number to it too!....You know what Ranger, NO GO, failure to follow instructions (FFI) ".

on the flip side of things I didn't quit.

Congrats on the 'not quitting' but enlighten me on why I would want you in a Ranger Battalion-ODA- or a shooting gig with SOC/SMG OCONUS if there's a possibility that you FFI and fail to lock n load on a 360° shooting range with real bad guys?

someone had to say it.......:uhh:

Stay in school. :cool: n Welcome back!!

Congrats on the 'not quitting' but enlighten me on why I would want you in a Ranger Battalion-ODA- or a shooting gig with SOC/SMG OCONUS if there's a possibility that you FFI and fail to lock n load on a 360° shooting range with real bad guys?

someone had to say it.......:uhh:

Stay in school. :cool: n Welcome back!!

yes I'm an idiot at times that needs to pay greater attention when the sh*ts on me :doh:

open to learning more of course and working on improving.

and for what it's worth i've had run ins with real bad guys in my tour in sh*t-tackistan. ...and I didn't quit :cool:

staying in school presently!

Thanks for the welcome!

Spoke with some bureau personnel and it seems staying in the National Guard can still be an option. I'm meeting with them soon to discuss specifics.

made it. took two years for my background check but it went through. staying in the guard still and still want to earn a spot in SF. I'm also an E6 now.

made it. took two years for my background check but it went through. staying in the guard still and still want to earn a spot in SF. I'm also an E6 now.

Are you saying you graduated the FBI Academy?

Back