Bad day for some NSW parachuters

Diesel_Actual

Banned
It was a bad day day from some NSW operators in Virgina Beach.

http://www.wavy.com/dpp/news/local_news/vb-parachutists-stuck-in-tree

VBFD assists parachutists stuck in tree
Paratroopers part of training exercise at Ft Story

Updated: Tuesday, 15 Jun 2010, 3:27 PM EDT
Published : Tuesday, 15 Jun 2010, 11:00 AM EDT

VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. (WAVY) - Fire crews assisted five paratroopers from Navy Special Warfare Group TWO who ended up stuck in a tree during a training exercise Tuesday at Fort Story in Virginia Beach.

Tim Riley with the Virginia Beach Fire Department told WAVY.com several ladder companies responded to the scene.

A reported fall came in at around 9:30 a.m. Once on scene, emergency crews determined a paratrooper had gotten caught on a tree limb, Chief Bruce Nedelka with Virginia Beach EMS told WAVY.com.

Nedelka said a tree limb eventually broke and one of the paratroopers fell to the ground. He was subsequently taken to the hospital and treated for minor injuries. The other paratroopers were not injured.

"We had one individual who was in an unstable position," Captain Greg Benshoff, Virginia Beach Fire Department, told WAVY News 10. "The branches were breaking around him. He was pretty much bear hugging the tree. He became our number one rescue priority then our second priority was to keep the other individuals from trying to climb down because they were in a position where they could fall and get hurt."

A spokesperson for Navy Special Warfare Group TWO said the paratroopers were on a normal, routine training mission.

Chief Robert Fluegel said training is inherently dangerous for members of naval special warfare.

The incident is under investigation.

Chopper 10 was above the scene as it was wrapping up Tuesday afternoon. See video shot by Chopper 10 to the left of this story.
Fort Story is part of Joint Expeditionary Base Little Creek-Fort Story, consolidated a base that includes the Navy's Little Creek Amphibious Base and the Army's Fort Story.

The Virginia Beach Tech Team, fire department and EMS all responded to the incident.

A scary situation, but no one was hurt and while tree landings aren't necessarily routine (except for some units who prepare for it), the accidental tree landing is common enough that it must have been a slow news day up there.

If it was MFF, then it was a bad HARP, we did a 25,000 MFF jump and we had a guy who landed in the trees.

Im curious how high up they were stuck and why the fire department was called in. We train in tree letdown procedures for just an occasion. Anyways, hope the guy that fell is ok. I snapped through the branches at about 40' up once. So much for achieving vertical decent to get hung up in the trees...

"This is 911, what is your emergency?"

"My SEAL is stuck in a tree, please send someone to get him down!"

Someone was going to say it. :D

alright so i just got home to where i could actually watch the news video. those guys either had a bad spot or a malfunction imo. im guessing bad spot since there were two guys in the trees. but STILL that DZ was HUGE!!! not to mention the parking lot next to the dz...shit i would have went for that pond before i went in those trees. hopefully they learned from it. they definitely owe beer haha!

"This is 911, what is your emergency?"

"My SEAL is stuck in a tree, please send someone to get him down!"

Someone was going to say it. :D

Ok now my screen is dripping with the soda I just spit out... first time I've ever lost control reading SS... Bravo :)

alright so i just got home to where i could actually watch the news video. those guys either had a bad spot or a malfunction imo. im guessing bad spot since there were two guys in the trees. but STILL that DZ was HUGE!!! not to mention the parking lot next to the dz...shit i would have went for that pond before i went in those trees. hopefully they learned from it. they definitely owe beer haha!

Could have been the old adage, " If in doubt, throw 'em out."

Back