Be a Marine Spy?

I got so into reading the comments and absorbing the information that when I realized the title of the thread was 'Be a Marine Spy?' I laughed out loud. One thing about this site is its members and their ability to make a thread more valuable by derailing it. I could probably count on one hand the number of threads I have finished reading without going back to see what it was even about. :-/:thumbsup:

I got so into reading the comments and absorbing the information that when I realized the title of the thread was 'Be a Marine Spy?' I laughed out loud. One thing about this site is its members and their ability to make a thread more valuable by derailing it. I could probably count on one hand the number of threads I have finished reading without going back to see what it was even about. :-/:thumbsup:

Clearly you don't have much experience being around HUMINTers or ASO guys. Par for the course.

As a Marine in the field in question and screener for potential candidates I say it will never happen. We are screened and I personally screen individuals for maturity and other traits that are beneficial to the community. Cowboys, James Bond, and Lemmings need not apply.

My two cents on rank vs. maturity or leadership. In my experience maturity and rank are not directly related. As for leadership, with some bias I would say that Marine non-NCO's and junior NCO's tend to display a higher general competency and level of confidence in their leadership abilities. This of course must be part of the alpha dog mentality and the early structure of our basic training. I would say this also continues to the SNCO levels. After attending many joint schools/academies and working in several joint staffs, Marines display inherent leadership amongst their peers. Problem is sometimes we are the loudest ones in the room and anyone working in or near SOF knows this isn't always for the better.

@WookWrangler - I agree with your first post about who should not apply. I am a Reserve 0231 Sgt and have deployed a few times and have been around the 0211 community on multiple occasions. The lowest rank I have seen get into the 0211 community was a friend of mine that was a Cpl who was originally a 0231 and then went on to be honor grad at Dam Neck. I have heard people say that they want to go 0211 because it has cool schools. Honestly that aggravates me to no end. The reason is yea schools are fun and going to cool ones are great but the thought of the mission must come first and not be placed second. I have had people come to me and ask how to get into the 0211 field and I will happily give them the email address and phone number of the people they need to call or get into contact with about getting information about the lat move process, since I am not a 0211. I just hate when they say the reason they want to go that route is because they want to go to "Jump School". But I will usually tell them to contact the person I told them about and find out more information since there is more to the job then going to schools.

Im a Cpl and am nearly finished with the screening process for 0211. I just have the board left but its the biggest part of it IMO. I have been trying to prepare for it but I jut seem to have a hard time figuring out the best method to study MCWP's and FM's besides just flat out reading them.

Im a Cpl and am nearly finished with the screening process for 0211. I just have the board left but its the biggest part of it IMO. I have been trying to prepare for it but I jut seem to have a hard time figuring out the best method to study MCWP's and FM's besides just flat out reading them.

Flash cards my friend. Use index cards or download an app. Highlight what's important and transfer them to the cards.

Flash cards my friend. Use index cards or download an app. Highlight what's important and transfer them to the cards.
Yea I have written countless flash cards so far and have only made it 2/3 of the way through the first four chapters of MCWP 2-6! Even using the study questions I found on Quizlet. It is just so much information to retain and I dont want to go into the board with holes in my knowledge, if you know what Im saying.

I've been through the board, as a Corporal, so I know what you're feeling. Obviously I wont help you prepare for it with specifics, but go into it with a strong understanding of why you want the MOS, relax, present your true personality, and above all: BE HONEST.

I've been through the board, as a Corporal, so I know what you're feeling. Obviously I wont help you prepare for it with specifics, but go into it with a strong understanding of why you want the MOS, relax, present your true personality, and above all: BE HONEST.
Thanks for the advice. I did end up passing the board. It was pretty stressful but I made it.

Belated comment on rank and responsibility in the Corps. As a L/Cpl I occasionally led combat patrols. This was in a Combined Action unit with an E5 as Actual and an E4 as Bravo. Being an autonomous small unit in constant operation in enemy contested territory, even E3s had significant responsibilities, and often led patrols or 3-man Kill Teams...as satellite forays away from the main ambush.

Back in the States I was a weapons platoon squadleader as a Corporal. SLs were normally supposed to be E5s, but E4 SLs were not uncommon. The Marine Corps has traditionally placed significant trust in its junior NCOs. (Up until the late 1950s when the rank of Lance Corporal was adopted, Sgts had always been E4s.)

Back