Bear Spray

I'm looking at hitting Yellowstone next year, Lord willing and the Creek don't rise. I'll be accompanied by a shotgun and a pistol. And a camera, which is the only thing I want to shoot there.

Fuck bear spray.

I'm looking at hitting Yellowstone next year, Lord willing and the Creek don't rise. I'll be accompanied by a shotgun and a pistol. And a camera, which is the only thing I want to shoot there.

Fuck bear spray.

The assbackwardness of the parks was exemplified a few weeks ago when a fisherman on the snake spooked a sow with cubs. She got up on her hind legs and he fired a warning shot at the rocks next to her and a scared her an the cubs away. He promptly went to the nearest ranger station to report the encounter, thought being to help warn other folks she was in the area. The result: and investigation and pending charges for unlawful discharge of a firearm. Go figure.

The assbackwardness of the parks was exemplified a few weeks ago when a fisherman on the snake spooked a sow with cubs. She got up on her hind legs and he fired a warning shot at the rocks next to her and a scared her an the cubs away. He promptly went to the nearest ranger station to report the encounter, thought being to help warn other folks she was in the area. The result: and investigation and pending charges for unlawful discharge of a firearm. Go figure.

He should have shot the bear. There'd be no issues then.

Learning a bit about bear behavior might have helped too.

I can't carry a firearm due to age restrictions, but if I could you can bet I'd be packing. Bear Spray may have some merit, but a cast lead bullet offers a much more reliable solution to the problem of something trying to eat you.
http://www.adn.com/article/are-guns-more-effective-pepper-spray-alaska-bear-attack

Most studies say otherwise. Bearspray has a much higher success record in preventing maulings than firearms. Very few handguns would do anything to a bear and many rifles are under-powered as well. I always trusted bear spray when I lived and hiked/hunted in Alaska for 11 years.
Reed

Are guns more effective than pepper spray in an Alaska bear attack?

Most studies say otherwise. Bearspray has a much higher success record in preventing maulings than firearms. Very few handguns would do anything to a bear and many rifles are under-powered as well. I always trusted bear spray when I lived and hiked/hunted in Alaska for 11 years.
Reed

This is why the good Lord made shotguns and slugs. Amen and hallelujah.

Keep in mind the parks were forced into allowing people to carry guns.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bears really like blonds, and red heads; even better if they are wearing bells.;-).

Doc, we elected you to be tail end Charlie, sorry, but that's the vote... you follow directly behind muppet. We figure if you aren't tough and stringy enough for the bears, muppet will at least be a good entrée to your appetizer.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

And for the bear's dessert.... RK... the invective in the fight will upset their stomachs enough to really slow them down, if they live through the verbal bashing that ensues.

Doc, we elected you to be tail end Charlie, sorry, but that's the vote... you follow directly behind muppet. We figure if you aren't tough and stringy enough for the bears, muppet will at least be a good entrée to your appetizer.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

And for the bear's dessert.... RK... the invective in the fight will upset their stomachs enough to really slow them down, if they live through the verbal bashing that ensues.

So be it;-). Tough and stringy will be what he gets. He'll still have to survive all my slug loaded 870 can deliver before he gets a taste.

Last edited:

You can bet your bear ass I'd give him heartburn like he's never had before, lol!

Hunter Escapes Attack By Shoving Arm Down Bear's Throat

I apologize for necroposting, if a ban is the fit punishment I accept it, but if you are getting attacked you can just shove your arm down a grizzly's throat.

“I remembered an article that my grandmother gave me a long time ago that said large animals have bad gag reflexes,” he said. “So I shoved my right arm down his throat.”

The advice worked, and the bear left.

Back