Becoming an officer and a green beret.

By the way, in Navy boot camp, you can take a leadership position, hold that leadership position the entire time, and they will probably give you E-3 even if your credits don’t work. The Recruit Division Commanders (RDCs- Like Drill Instructors) have a certain number of promotions they can give out to outstanding students.

I edited some of what I said about being an officer vs. enlisted. I know a lot of conventional enlisted with degrees that hold fulfilling MOS/Rates. They love being enlisted rather than officer. In a lot of ways being enlisted is thought to be a more fulfilling way of life, despite the pay. Being an officer has a lot of drawbacks.

In regards to becoming an officer, I went through AOBC with a dude who was in the last class at OCS that fell under the 90 credit rule. He had to complete his degree within 24 months of his first duty station or be discharged. You cannot get a slot to OCS in a guard/reserve unit or through active duty recruitment without a bachelors degree. And having a degree just gets you into your local recruiters candidate pool.

The amount of waivers you require will make it very tough to commission. Should you be able to enlist, excellent service at your first duty station with glowing Letters of Recommendation from your chain of command may get you a shot at OCS, but even then it is not simple.

In regards to becoming an officer, I went through AOBC with a dude who was in the last class at OCS that fell under the 90 credit rule. He had to complete his degree within 24 months of his first duty station or be discharged.
Holy smokes...I finished my degree with 8 years of commissioned service...right before CAS cubed...but those were different times...I was allowed to bootstrap for 18 months in order to finish my degree...it was a very different Army then...

You still can here, in WI ARNG, but you're not a top candidate and won't get federal recognition beyond a 1LT. I know a few through my ex that have spent 15yrs as a 1LT in the guard or higher, but no federal recognition. They still accept people with 60 credits, though on a case by case basis.

The wonders of Guard v Regular.

I cant thank you enough for finding this. I was looking forward to reading Steve1839's post, and a little worried that my motives might not be the right ones. I spent a long time reading, and re-reading Arf's reply. Why do I want to do this? I spent a while writing, and deleting. Steve1839 is right. This isnt something easy to explain. I was relieved to find that the motives he listed match my own. If I wanted money, there are better ways. Being cool? Not on my radar. Glory? I want no praise.

What I want is to push myself, and that is something I will always do. There is an awe in it, a coming to God moment. I would stand with those who live under this same Law, without regard for personal safety. To serve alongside my brothers, that's the only way I want to live. Without this, everything else is meaningless.

I cant thank you enough for finding this. I was looking forward to reading SF Meds* post, and a little worried that my motives might not be the right ones. I spent a long time reading, and re-reading Arf's reply. Why do I want to do this? I spent a while writing, and deleting. SF Med* is right. This isnt something easy to explain. I was relieved to find that the motives he listed match my own. If I wanted money, there are better ways. Being cool? Not on my radar. Glory? I want no praise.

What I want is to push myself, and that is something I will always do. There is an awe in it, a coming to God moment. I would stand with those who live under this same Law, without regard for personal safety. To serve alongside my brothers, that's the only way I want to live. Without this, everything else is meaningless.

I cant thank you enough for finding this. I was looking forward to reading Steve1839's post, and a little worried that my motives might not be the right ones. I spent a long time reading, and re-reading Arf's reply. Why do I want to do this? I spent a while writing, and deleting. Steve1839 is right. This isnt something easy to explain. I was relieved to find that the motives he listed match my own. If I wanted money, there are better ways. Being cool? Not on my radar. Glory? I want no praise.

This is a better answer than the kind of thing you said in the prior post. I realize you probably were just mind dumping, but make sure you spend a lot of time sitting and thinking about why you want this. It’s really what separates the guys who succeed from the guys who don’t.

I want to add that at the worst of times during selection— particularly during the Tour (SWCC’s 74ish hour “Hell Week”)— I pictured my loved ones faces, replaying their last conversations with me, rapid fire on repeat. Looking forward to making that phone call to my mom and others with, “I made it through the Tour!” When I was being surf tortured for an ungodly amount of time, my mind went to “I can’t wait to hear that you are successful at the end of this!”
I’m getting emotional just thinking about it. My poor mom was probably so stressed out😂😂😂.

Of course, this can’t be your only motivation, but in the worst of times, visualizing your success, and the joy of those who love you can be very powerful.

Do you want me to send them to you or do you think it would be okay to post them here so others can enjoy the past? I'm missing a couple of pics but have found 3.

@LimaPanther You have so much more military experience than I do, I very much divert to your wisdom on the question of OPSEC. I think it would be awesome to see you in action though!

@LimaPanther You have so much more military experience than I do, I very much divert to your wisdom on the question of OPSEC. I think it would be awesome to see you in action though!

These don't give any info that would counter OPSEC

Attachments

• Escape Tank-1 001.jpg
    Escape Tank-1 001.jpg
    206.4 KB · Views: 40
  • Escape Tank-2 001.jpg
    Escape Tank-2 001.jpg
    258.7 KB · Views: 39
  • Escape Tank-3 001.jpg
    Escape Tank-3 001.jpg
    240.6 KB · Views: 37
Do they have your hands tied?

No. Just wanted us to let gravitation and the life jacket take us up. The hard part was getting use to sitting in the narrow room and having the water rise up your body. Once the water got to your mouth you took a breath of air and then they opened the hatch and up you went. This was to prepare us when we had to exit a sub while it was submerged and swim in to run our mission. Of course when that happened we had our tanks.

Hey thanks. Disclaimer, long paragraph full of "I want this and that" ahead.

Special Forces Qualifications and Benefits

Hey, if you made it through all that, I really appreciate your time.

I'm genuinely not attempting to be a dick, I just tend to be blunt and that rubs people the wrong way.

You just asked us questions where the answers are LITERALLY in the link you posted. Those answers aren't from reddit or quora or something, they are straight from the Army. That also means you can find information on general enlistment questions as well.

It is a little insulting to the person(s) you ask when you have the answers in front of you. You are telegraphing to them that you are unable or unwilling to understand the information and that's not a good look for you.

Good luck.

Back