Best of the 80s (song edition)

Marauder06

Intel Enabler
Verified SOF
My oldest daughter is in college and is an amazing musician and singer. So naturally she's in her school's Glee Club.

For the upcoming year their big singing event, they're doing "Hits of the 80s." As someone who graduated from high school in 1990, I feel that I am imminently qualified to help come up with the song she should do, something that would be fun and highlight her singing ability.

My youngest daughter, who is also a great singer and who was clearly raised right by her parents, suggested the song "Maneater." My oldest daughter, who must have been raised by uncultured knaves, to my undying shame replied "Nah, I don't know Madonna."

Um... Madonna--> Maneater? Clearly once again I have failed as a parent.

So given my inability to properly educate my firstborn into the joys of 80s music, and given that perennial favorites of mine like NWA and Public Enemy might not suit her vocal range, does anyone have suggestions for what a highly-talented young singer might do for an 80s song in a big Glee show?

My oldest daughter is in college and is an amazing musician and singer. So naturally she's in her school's Glee Club.

For the upcoming year their big singing event, they're doing "Hits of the 80s." As someone who graduated from high school in 1990, I feel that I am imminently qualified to help come up with the song she should do, something that would be fun and highlight her singing ability.

My youngest daughter, who is also a great singer and who was clearly raised right by her parents, suggested the song "Maneater." My oldest daughter, who must have been raised by uncultured knaves, to my undying shame replied "Nah, I don't know Madonna."

Um... Madonna--> Maneater? Clearly once again I have failed as a parent.

So given my inability to properly educate my firstborn into the joys of 80s music, and given that perennial favorites of mine like NWA and Public Enemy might not suit her vocal range, does anyone have suggestions for what a highly-talented young singer might do for an 80s song in a big Glee show?

What is her vocal range/style? Also if you're looking for performance pieces, what's the musical arrangement (i.e. pit band, backing tracks, is she planning to sing solo or backed with a chorus?)

The STL Blues fan in me is tempted to scream PLAY GLORIA. But the best option? I'm going to give a hat tip to @Muppet and recommend Living in America. Dropped right in the middle of the 80s (replete with Cold War overtones as used in Rocky IV), was strong enough to land Brown a Grammy, plays well with a more big-production revue (especially during the breakdown sections), and Brown sings in register that it wouldn't be strange to have a girl singing it (a band can also adjust the key if it doesn't fit the singer - not as easy if working with a backing track). I've played it live in a similar environment (in the pit band) and it absolutely killed.

Honorable mentions: anything Blondie or Van Halen (even their 70s and 90s stuff sounds 80s) Dio might be too metal for a performance, but RJD has very strong vocals in the right register - Rainbow in the Dark might do well. Roxette also has a surprising amount of 80s-pop-zeitgeist material in their discography.

Not just a great 80's song but one of the greatest songs ever...
Photograph by Def Leppard

Don't think it could work for Glee Club? Taylor Swift made it work when they teamed up...an unexpected "fun" rocker:
The Def Leppard Archive: 2008 CMT Crossroads - Photograph

If you want something more Pop:
Manic Monday - The Bangles
Our Lips Are Sealed - Go Go's
Little Red Corvette - Prince

To add to the above:

Something a little edgy for a glee club environment: Sweet Dreams - Eurythmics
Slow, powerful/ emotional: Time After Time - Cyndi Lauper
More light hearted: The Safety Dance - Men Without Hats
Just 80's in general: 99 Luftballoons - Nena
Much as I dislike the band: With or Without You - U2

Sweet Child O Mine - Guns n Roses
I Love Rock n Roll - Joan Jett
I'm Alright - Kenny Loggins
Keep on Loving You - REO Speedwagon
Edge of Seventeen - Stevie Nicks

The first 3 are in my 80's playlist, I had to look up the others.

A Sweet Dream story.

2013-2015 I'm on Bagram about 0130-0200L. AFN starts playing the song, I'm on the east side, the road that goes past the tent DFAC, the AC First compound, etc. Driving in the opposite direction is a Route Clearance Team heading for ECP 3. Knowing their movements they just left the fuel point and are heading out to troll for IEDs. I realize the song is older than some of the soldiers going out to do the deed and it hit me how goddamned long the war had raged at that point. I felt old, tired, and it was just odd.

Sweet Dreams is a good tune. Was going to suggest that one as well.

A couple others:
Shout - Tears for Fears
Hungry Like The Wolf - Duran Duran

Another different one that could be kind of cool with a female lead:
Sharp Dressed Man - ZZ Top

If your daughter is looking for a good glee club song, "Hallelujah (1983)" by Leonard Cohen is pretty good. It's the OG non trashy version of the song. "I Ran (1982)" by A Flock of Seagulls would sound good with female vocals.

Add on: "Mad World (1982)" by Tears For Fears, might also be a good glee song. With our crazy world it might reverberate with Zoomers.

Last edited:
If your daughter is looking for a good glee club song, "Hallelujah (1983)" by Leonard Cohen is pretty good. It's the OG non trashy version of the song. "I Ran (1982)" by A Flock of Seagulls would sound good with female vocals.

Dude she KILLS that song. I had no idea it was from the 80s, I thought it was much earlier. Thank you for the suggestion, this may be the winner.

SO MANY great song suggestions in this thread.

Dude she KILLS that song. I had no idea it was from the 80s, I thought it was much earlier. Thank you for the suggestion, this may be the winner.

SO MANY great song suggestions in this thread.
That's awesome!!! Something about female vocals and Hallelujah just go together like PB&J. That said, there's been a shitload of good songs posted here.

Probably most famous for its music video, but still very 80s, Take On Me - Ah Ha

Jessie's Girl - Rick Springfield, and you could have some fun with it and change Jessie to girl along with the pronouns if you wanted to get creative and put a female spin on it.

But honestly, I think there are a plethora of gold in here already, and I'm partial to Sweet Dreams.

Also, I was born in the 80s, so I'm not an expert like some of our, uh, more seasoned members ;)

Back