BitterSweet guns, left to me by my Father in Law

The91Bravo

BNDN - Been Nowhere Done Nothing
Verified Military
Friends,

Today was a happy sad day for me. I lost one of the greatest men back on my birthday, June 16, 2007. He was my father in law, and he was a cold war Airborne Rakkasan. I still miss him dearly.

Today, his wife, my mother in law, asked me that if I wanted them, I could take his guns. She would rather not have them in the house. So I went shooting with another deputy, and then stopped by her place.

I was privileged to receive the following weapons that are as old as the mid 1800s to just a few years old.

Ruger Standard (mark IV family) 22 LR pistol
Ithaca model XL900 with custom engraving of pheasants in flight, gold finished trigger, and a plain sweet 12GA semi
Springfield Model 67F 12GA pump
Sears .410 bolt shotgun
Stevens Model 94C break open single 410 with engraving
H Pieper Belgium .32 short rolling breech single shot rifle
Remington Model 66 Nylon .22 semi rifle
Marlin Model 336 in .35 Remington Lever gun with polished receiver and gold trigger with a good quality scope and see through rings
And a Winghester Model 04-22 (looks youth sized) .22lr single shot bolt gun.

I also got a homak six gun safe that is now holding 14 guns....

I share this list with you, because you folks are my friends, and I wanted to.

I'll post some pics later, but still crying as I clean them.

Your friend,
Steve

Thats unfortunate that he died, but at least you have some nice things to remember him by.

Steve,

My sincerest condolences mate.

Thank you for sharing this with us.

I'm glad you have something wonderful like your Father in law's guns to remember him by.

I'm sure he'd be happy to know you have taken possession of them for him.

Your Mate

Pardus.

Here are my new babies....

The four on the top were mine already, and two of the three pistols also.

The M4 almost disappears in the carpet at the very top.. lol

Attachments

• IMG 037a1.jpg
    IMG 037a1.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 105
Thanks Pardus, I appreciate it.

I was doing pretty well, a little more than seven months, but this just got me all cranked up again....

Time, it will simply take time...

One day at a time mate, one day at a time...

Remember we are here for you.

Brothers in arms.

Thanks Pardus,
As a military guy, all my family is shit gone over the hills miles away, and my wife's family took me in just like their real son. I learned alot about how to be a GOOD man from Dave, and who I am now is a result.. (at least the good parts :D )

As for my new children:

I only gave them the once over. Some have not been fired for years, and the gunk is .. well.. gunk..

gave em a quick lube, will disassemble to factory level later. I think I will be able to shoot all of them, the sears 410 is real rough, but I'll check them all real well b4 going hot..

Steve,

My sincerest condolonces. It seems that you made a great impression on your In-Laws and that you were chosen to carry on all those memories that come with such a collection, keeping them in the family.

When you've had the time to give them the attention they need, you will get the opportunity to enjoy the memories that come with firing them. :)

One of the greatest gifts you can pass along to your kids is history.

My condolences on your loss, Steve. I hope you take some comfort in knowing that he surely knew how much he was loved, admired, and appreciated with you in his life.

It's really nice to have a possession of a loved one to hold on to after they physically leave us. The memories...they stay in your heart as your FIL will. Sorry for your loss. As x-SF said, celebrate his life...

Friends,

Today was a happy sad day for me. I lost one of the greatest men back on my birthday, June 16, 2007. He was my father in law, and he was a cold war Airborne Rakkasan. I still miss him dearly.

Today, his wife, my mother in law, asked me that if I wanted them, I could take his guns. She would rather not have them in the house. So I went shooting with another deputy, and then stopped by her place.

I was privileged to receive the following weapons that are as old as the mid 1800s to just a few years old.

Ruger Standard (mark IV family) 22 LR pistol
Ithaca model XL900 with custom engraving of pheasants in flight, gold finished trigger, and a plain sweet 12GA semi
Springfield Model 67F 12GA pump
Sears .410 bolt shotgun
Stevens Model 94C break open single 410 with engraving
H Pieper Belgium .32 short rolling breech single shot rifle
Remington Model 66 Nylon .22 semi rifle
Marlin Model 336 in .35 Remington Lever gun with polished receiver and gold trigger with a good quality scope and see through rings
And a Winghester Model 04-22 (looks youth sized) .22lr single shot bolt gun.

I also got a homak six gun safe that is now holding 14 guns....

I share this list with you, because you folks are my friends, and I wanted to.

I'll post some pics later, but still crying as I clean them.

Your friend,
Steve

You can learn a lot about a man by the guns he owns, and it sounds like he was a good man! ;)

I am truely sorry for your loss. I too have been given the firearms of a passed family member. Its a great honor that you were chosen.

Every time I fire them, it brings back the good memories of when my Uncle was around. I can hear his voice and even the smallest of details about hunting with him.

Enjoy them, fire them and it will be as if he has never left your side....

Sorry to hear about that Steve , He sounded like a good guy.

And the AK is looking nice:)

Sorry to hear about that Steve , He sounded like a good guy.

And the AK is looking nice:)

I am getting there.

I decided to stay original, so I added a high cheek stock pad, covered it and then the Belarus mount for the Aimpoint.

Shot it two days ago, and I tell you what... shoots smooth as butter.. :D

My condolences on your loss, Steve. I understand about the importance of the firearms: I was very close to my grandfather, and I have his .45 sidearm which he carried for much of his 30 year army career. It isn't worth too much money because so many of them were manufactured, but it carries a lot of intrinsic value for me because it was his.

Back