.Bringing back the APAT- Reserve Recon folks, input?

RockHard13F

Firepower Controller
Verified Military
Gents,

Our T&R requirement to embed and integrate with other agency and SOF forces has been worked as an angle by the active duty side to work back towards being designated as SOC units alongside the reserve ANGLICOs.

Along with that effort, work is being done towards getting our screening and community specific requirements standardized in the T&R. Last August, 2d and 5th ANGLICOs conducted the ANGLICO Physical Assessment Test (APAT)- an event designed by 5th ANGLICO in conjunction with 3rd Recon to resemble the RPAT.

I have been tasked with updating, rewriting as necessary, and executing the ANGLICO Basic Course curriculum for this year. We will have Marines from 1st, 3rd, 4th, and 6th ANGLICO attending, as well as possibly a few folks from the Scout Sniper instructor course cadre. Part of this will include an APAT (discussion over whether it will be swim/ruck run/double O or the same with an Army PFT+ pullups on the front end is ongoing). During discussing this, the issue of enlisted Marines who contract for the unit, then cannot pass the standard and cannot be involuntarily transferred because they are local came up.

My question then is this- for those of you in reserve recon units; is anyone tracking on whether attempts have been made to screen prospective candidates for your community specific requirements prior to them enlisting? I know the National Guard SF units are able to conduct SFRE prior to signing on civilians, but I haven't seen or heard of any formalized similar program within the SMCR. How do you all deal with guys who contract to join the unit and then are unable to pass the RPAT?

S/f,

This was a problem with the reserve recon side for awhile. The difference is that BRC is an MOS producing school and you can now drop a Marine from a contract if they are unable to get their initial MOS and are unwilling or unable to reclassify into another. ANGLICO doesn't have an MOS that I know of, which would make it difficult to do something similar.

My question then is this- for those of you in reserve recon units; is anyone tracking on whether attempts have been made to screen prospective candidates for your community specific requirements prior to them enlisting?

Reconnaissance-specific requirements prior to enlisting? I'm not sure.

I know the National Guard SF units are able to conduct SFRE prior to signing on civilians, but I haven't seen or heard of any formalized similar program within the SMCR. How do you all deal with guys who contract to join the unit and then are unable to pass the RPAT?

Two COAs (and the reserve Reconnaissance community has gone back and forth on this):

COA #1: Reclass to another infantry MOS

COA #2: Separated

Last edited:
is your manpower strong enough to drop what would otherwise have been eligible personnel?

Short answer- I believe so. I've been told that we recently were over our authorized strength. If we no longer are, we are close.

Of course there are folks who would likely disagree with me.

Back