BUD/S Class 58 Rededicates Bell

Ravage

running up that hill
http://www.socom.mil/socomhome/newspub/news/pages/budsclass58rededicatesbell.aspx

SAN DIEGO – A few familiar faces visited the Naval Special Warfare Center Aug. 20 Friday for a bell rededication ceremony.

Members of Basic Underwater Demolition/Sea, Air and Land class 58 began their training in 1969 and graduated in 1970. Forty years later, class 58 returned to rededicate the bell they gave as a gift to the NSWCEN.

Class 58 was joined by retired SEAL Master Chief and “Survivor” contestant, Rudy Boesch. The class’s officer-in-charge, retired Capt. Stanley Antrim, brought the bell for the ceremony.

“We started our training on the bay side, the old [Underwater Demolition Team] training area,” Antrim said.

He said the NSWCEN was under construction when class 58 began training, and upon building completion, the class moved across the street into the new facility before graduation.

“We were the first class to graduate from here,” he said. “We thought it was appropriate to present the new command with a new bell for the quarterdeck.”

The bell has been a symbol for BUD/S and the challenges training students endure to become SEALs. Retired Boatswain Master Chief Terry Moy was a first phase instructor at the time and originally owned the bell.

“It was a tug boat bell,” Moy said. “I gave this bell to the officer-in-charge of the class, Mr. Antrim. I said, ‘Here, donate this bell from your class, put your class number on it and we’ll hang it up here.’”

The ceremony provided an opportunity for the former UDT and SEAL members to reunite at the site where most began their journey in the Naval Special Warfare community.

100820-n-7883g-026.jpg
Retired Capt. Stanley Antrim, Jr. poses with the new bell he and other members of Basic Underwater Demolition/Sea, Air and Land class 58 first dedicated to Naval Special Warfare Center in 1970.

Back