calling all snipers

jtprgr375

Verified SOF
Yeah, I am overseas working alil "overtime" and we have a dude I suspect of posing as a sniper. Says he was a sniper in the Army. I am calling bullshit, but apparently he has some people fooled cause they gave him a .308. What are some questions I can ask him to see if he really is one?

Thanks.

See how long it takes him to accurately mil something. Have a guy stand at a known distance away. 400 yards should be good. Have your "sniper" measure him with his scope and determine what the range is. If he can do that accurately in a timely manner, he just may be legit.

That's just one idea off the top of my head.

Yeah, but here is the thing. He has been to a DM course I know that but a civilian one. What is a usual time hack for determining ranger to a target?

Yeah, but here is the thing. He has been to a DM course I know that but a civilian one. What is a usual time hack for determining ranger to a target?

If the range is within 500 yards and the height of the target is known, he should be able to bang it out asap. I'd say no more than 2 minutes, tops. Longer, of course, for further distances, cuz everything has to be so much more precise.

One of the quick methods I used was: Unless specified otherwise, I assumed a man was 2 yards in height (6 ft) and I knew how many mils a 6 ft man should fill at the closer ranges. That way, I could just look real quick to see how many mils he took up and break the shot into the wind. That was good for 500 and in. Further than that and I had to settle down and get increasingly more careful.

Ask him what unit he was in and which school he attended and in which year!

With that and his name you could get someone here to see if it checks out. RB is a great source to PM those details.

It should be pretty easy to check with dates and unit plus his name.

FYI, you can be in a sniper posistion and never gone to a 8541/B4 school. A lot of units have their own sniper/DM course that someone whould not be awarded a MOS or ASI from.

My personal thoughts are, you should not claim to be a sniper unless you have the MOS/ ASI. But of course a shit load of people do...:rolleyes:

The poop on DM:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Designated_marksman

Tuff call.....if he's been to a DM, the 'de-facto' 21st century term everyone is using is...unfortunately...sniper.....even in the regular Army....

Jump down in the prone and take a few long shots with the guy.....if he hits what he's aiming at at 500-600....where's the beef?? If he outshoots you...well.....>ahem<..cough-cough.. :cool: ;)

But I AM a sniper, I swear!!!! I was even the tech adviser for the movie with Tom Berenger!!

}:-)

Okay, so I talk to "el douchebag" today and asked him where he went to sniper school cause this guys couldnt hit a barrel at the range. He said Ft. Bragg. Now correct me if I am wrong but isn't the only Army sniper school at Benning?

Okay, so I talk to "el douchebag" today and asked him where he went to sniper school cause this guys couldnt hit a barrel at the range. He said Ft. Bragg. Now correct me if I am wrong but isn't the only Army sniper school at Benning?

No bro. C'mon, where did your snipers in 3/75 go to school?

SFSC (Special Forces Sniper School), formerly SOTIC is at Bragg. You do not have to be Special Forces to attend SFSC, but you do have to be in SOF. There is also an SFSC II run at the Group level. Anyone in an SFG, including support, and occasionally their associates (JTACs and the like) can attend SFSC II.

Ask him what range his class was on out at Bragg. That's pretty common knowledge. If he doesn't know that, well...

I would just vette him quietly with another DM. Find one that's SOTIC/SFSC qual'd and ask him.

Being that he's already a DM, and I've got a pretty good idea of what job your on, I predict it won't really matter all that much to your PM. #'s are $'s.
Once a poseur is hired AND TRAINED, he ceases to be a poseur and begins his life as an investment in the business model. Not how we were raised in SOF, but you're not wearing a uniform. Some things you just have to suck up, or start building a case against him that would cause him to be a liability to the mission or the contract.

No bro. C'mon, where did your snipers in 3/75 go to school?

SFSC (Special Forces Sniper School), formerly SOTIC is at Bragg. You do not have to be Special Forces to attend SFSC, but you do have to be in SOF. There is also an SFSC II run at the Group level. Anyone in an SFG, including support, and occasionally their associates (JTACs and the like) can attend SFSC II.

Ask him what range his class was on out at Bragg. That's pretty common knowledge. If he doesn't know that, well...

I would just vette him quietly with another DM. Find one that's SOTIC/SFSC qual'd and ask him.

Being that he's already a DM, and I've got a pretty good idea of what job your on, I predict it won't really matter all that much to your PM. #'s are $'s.
Once a poseur is hired AND TRAINED, he ceases to be a poseur and begins his life as an investment in the business model. Not how we were raised in SOF, but you're not wearing a uniform. Some things you just have to suck up, or start building a case against him that would cause him to be a liability to the mission or the contract.

Yeah I was going to mention SFSC. I know the NCOIC there because he used to be my troop SGM.

Yeah, I am overseas working alil "overtime" and we have a dude I suspect of posing as a sniper. Says he was a sniper in the Army. I am calling bullshit, but apparently he has some people fooled cause they gave him a .308. What are some questions I can ask him to see if he really is one?

Thanks.

Where in this post does it say he is a SOF sniper? Okay thought so. So back to my original question. Is benning the only sniper school for REGULAR army?

Where in this post does it say he is a SOF sniper? Okay thought so. So back to my original question. Is benning the only sniper school for REGULAR army?

You said Bragg. I told you about Bragg. I've got plenty of electrical cords around here to whip you with if you want to get lippy (I keed, I keed).

The Arkansas NG runs a sniper school. There are also division level schools. I think they're run by MTT's out of Benning. I know there is one at Ft Lewis. I think it's sponsored by 2ID, but I'm not positive.

In conclusion, no, you don't have to go to Ft Benning to attend sniper school.

Dude did your company vett him? If they made him a DM, it's prolly b/c he has a background in it.

Sniper Schools are taught MTT all over the world by the US Army, We had a few soldiers get their B4 in Bagahdad (Butler Range) back in 2004.

The three main "B4" schools is, Camp Robinson(NGB-MTU), Ft Benning(ITB) and Ft Bragg (SFSC)

As Ajax told you there are Div level and in some cases Btn level sniper courses that do not award a B4 ASI, I have never been to a B4 school/ course but I have attended several basic/ advanced sniper schools and SDM courses. I would let dude alone and wait for someone who has a sniper background to vett him...:2c:

But I AM a sniper, I swear!!!! I was even the tech adviser for the movie with Tom Berenger!!
And I got a true sniper job:

Professional snipers have been brought in to guard a vulnerable colony of penguins in Australia.

The deployment follows the mysterious deaths of nine of the flightless birds over the last two weeks.

The mutilated bodies of the animals, known as fairy penguins, were found in a national park near Sydney harbour.

The main suspects are dogs and foxes. At 40cm tall, the world's smallest penguin species is clearly no match for such aggressive enemies.

To even up the fight, two snipers have been deployed as bodyguards.

They have started night patrols and have instructions to do what it takes to protect these tiny creatures.

They have joined a legion of volunteers, who have also been guarding the birds during the hours of darkness when they are most vulnerable to attack.

Traps have been also been set in a concerted attempt to catch Sydney's penguin killers.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/8153168.stm

;-) :-)

Back