Canadian elite special forces sniper sets record-breaking kill shot in Iraq

In all seriousness, are the Coriolis Effect and curvature of the earth that big of deal? That pretty much sounds like bullshit to me, so that's why I'm asking the question. I've heard both arguments.

In all seriousness, are the Coriolis Effect and curvature of the earth that big of deal? That pretty much sounds like bullshit to me, so that's why I'm asking the question. I've heard both arguments.

I am curious as well. I am not a sniper, but I do precision bolt to 1k yards, and the guy who taught me, a local cop, is a former Marine sniper. He swears it is (a big deal), but I just don't know.

Depends on the distance of the shot and the direction. Not necessarily the curvature but the spinning of the earth. Good video that should answer your question.

Demonstrating How Coriolis Effects Bullet Drop At 1000 Yards

EDIT 2/20/2018

The fuckers took the video down.

Last edited:
<OohRah pauses to change into flame resistant suit >
<clears throat>
<Obligatory "with all respect to the OP and my Canadian friends to the north" statement...

IMG_6448.JPG

Yeah so, I'm a cunt hair away from calling "clickbait" until I see an official statement from the Canadian military or government.

There has been a recent influx of "Heroic sniper makes this amazing shot...." stories, but there is rarely a name attached to it, none of the legit sites pick it up, and witnesses are usually unnamed sources.

Similar to these stories:

SAS sniper kills THREE ISIS fighters with a single shot | Daily Mail Online

SAS sniper kills ISIS executioner moments before he kills 12 hostages | Daily Mail Online

Until someone comes forward as a real person and attests to these feats, I am hard pressed to believe, and will continue to fall back on confirmed kills from the likes of Gunny Hathcock's 2500 yard Vietnam shot with a Browning M2 and the U.K.'s Craig Harrison's 2009 kill in Afghanistan. (2707 yards with .338 Lapua)

Last edited:
The Globe and Mail is a Canadian mainstream news organization. Fox News has picked it up, as has BBC, NPR, and USA Today. So if it's bullshit, everyone has taken a bite.

But you are smart to be skeptical. I am often too fast to click on something bogus and claim it as pure veritas without checking an independent second source.

The Globe and Mail is a Canadian mainstream news organization. Fox News has picked it up, as has BBC, NPR, and USA Today. So if it's bullshit, everyone has taken a bite.

And that is why I stand on the suspected 'clickbait' concern. Every one of those additional sites simply posted the story to their websites (for clicks), and all give The Globe and Mail credit as the source of their information. Let just one of these sites update the story with a statement saying that a reporter from their paper has an independent source who validates the claim, then maybe I'll bite. Til then....

<OohRah pauses to change into flame resistant suit >
<clears throat>
<Obligatory "with all respect to the OP and my Canadian friends to the north" statement...

View attachment 19009

Yeah so, I'm a cunt hair away from calling "clickbait" until I see an official statement from the Canadian military or government.

There has been a recent influx of "Heroic sniper makes this amazing shot...." stories, but there is rarely a name attached to it, none of the legit sites pick it up, and witnesses are usually unnamed sources.

Similar to these stories:

SAS sniper kills THREE ISIS fighters with a single shot | Daily Mail Online

SAS sniper kills ISIS executioner moments before he kills 12 hostages | Daily Mail Online

Until someone comes forward as a real person and attests to these feats, I am hard pressed to believe, and will continue to fall back on confirmed kills from the likes of Gunny Hathcock's 2500 yard Vietnam shot with a Browning M2 and the U.K.'s Craig Harrison's 2009 kill in Afghanistan. (2707 yards with .338 Lapua)

It says in the article that the CAF had confirmed the story. With the Daily Mail articles, they just said "a source".

The Canadian Armed Forces confirmed Thursday that a member of Joint Task Force 2 made the record-breaking shot, killing an Islamic State insurgent during an operation in Iraq within the last month.

"The Canadian Special Operations Command can confirm that a member of Joint Task Force 2 successfully hit a target at 3,540 metres," the forces said in a statement. "For operational security reasons and to preserve the safety of our personnel and our Coalition partners we will not discuss precise details on when and how this incident took place."

Are you saying it's possible the newspaper fabricated this out of thin air and is knowingly falsely claiming that it's been confirmed by the CAF? Even for today's media, that seems a bit much.

Are you saying it's possible the newspaper fabricated this out of thin air and is knowingly falsely claiming that it's been confirmed by the CAF?

Nope. I'm saying that the past two years have caused me to further scrutinize 'news' and be much more skeptical; especially when the only sources are 'unnamed or anonymous' .

"The Canadian Special Operations Command can confirm that a member of Joint Task Force 2 successfully hit a target at 3,540 metres," the forces said in a statement. "For operational security reasons and to preserve the safety of our personnel and our Coalition partners we will not discuss precise details on when and how this incident took place."

The OP's linked story has been updated a number of times and the military confirmation wasn't part of it originally. Glad to see that official confirmation...well done to the shooter!

Nope. I'm saying that the past two years have caused me to further scrutinize 'news' and be much more skeptical; especially when the only sources are 'unnamed or anonymous' .

The OP's linked story has been updated a number of times and the military confirmation wasn't part of it originally. Glad to see that official confirmation...well done to the shooter!

I definitely agree with unnamed or anon sources. I wasn't tracking that you hadn't seen the latest update.

This is just insane to be in overwatch of a target with that much line of sight and then the amount of time you have to be there to calculate that shit. Who ever this guy is, he's fucking filthy. Hats off to you.

Maybe, the dirtbag who took a dirtnap was on guard or looking at something. That's my guess. Considering the distance and flight time of the bullet he was probably none the wiser to what was going on. Or the guy was manning a turret, or technical, or even chilling out in the drivers seat.

Back