Canadian soldier dies in firefight in Afghanistan

RackMaster

Nasty-Dirty-Canuck
SOF Support
Damn! RIP Brother!

I hope that the investigation doesn't find the security company at fault. That's not the kind of news any one needs right now.

Canadian soldier dies in firefight in Afghanistan

Last Updated: Saturday, August 9, 2008 | 12:16 PM ET Comments1Recommend8

CBC News

A Canadian soldier has died of injuries sustained in a firefight with insurgents in Zhari district of Kandahar province, military officials said Saturday.
The soldier has been identified as Master Cpl. Josh Roberts of the 2nd Battalion of the Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry based out of Shilo, Man.
The Saskatchewan native died as a result of a gunshot wound, officials said.
He was involved in a joint operation aimed at disrupting insurgent activity in a rugged farming area when the incident occurred.
It's believed a private security company passing by in a convoy may have accidentally opened fire on Canadian troops.
An investigation into the incident is underway.
Since 2002, 89 Canadian soldiers have been killed during the Afghanistan mission.
Last month, two Canadian soldiers were killed in explosions in southern Afghanistan and a third died in a non-combat-related incident on a Persian Gulf military base.

I knew I'd see a post as our flags were at half mast this morning, I just didn't know the nationality or circumstances.

I won't speculate or rant here about the story, I'm sure enough press on it will be generated soon enough to justify a seperate thread.

Blue Skies.

Rest In Peace Brother....
VP
Another sad day for the Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry.

Update - Compass Integrated Security Solutions not responsible

Even in the light of the tragic situation, this is good news.

Insurgent fire killed Cpl. Roberts of Saskatoon: investigators

Last Updated: Saturday, September 13, 2008 | 1:11 PM ET

CBC News

Investigators looking into last month's death of a Canadian soldier in Afghanistan's Zhari district have concluded he was killed by insurgent fire.
Cpl. Josh Roberts of the 2nd Battalion, Princess Patricia’s Canadian Light Infantry, based in Shilo, Man., was shot during a confusing gun battle between coalition forces and insurgents on Aug. 9.
There was speculation at the time that he might have been shot accidentally by an Afghan security contractor.
Military officials said Saturday that personnel from the firm Compass Integrated Security Solutions were in the area, but were not responsible for Roberts' death.
The Canadian Forces National Investigation Service based its conclusion on physical evidence, witness interviews, and an analysis by military police investigators.
Troops were engaging a group of about 15 insurgents along a rugged tract of farmland when the incident occurred.
Roberts, the 89th Canadian soldier to die in the Afghanistan mission, was shot in his armoured vehicle during the operation.
He was born in Saskatoon and was a soon-to-be father when he died. He is survived by a fiancée, who lives in Prince Albert, Sask.

Back