Captain Juan E Lightfoot 2/7th Sfg(a)

TLDR20

Verified SOF
RIP Sir.

FORT BRAGG, N.C. (USASOC News Service, Dec. 16, 2010) - U.S. Army Capt. Juan E. Lightfoot, 34, died at Womack Army Medical Center on Fort Bragg, Sunday, Dec. 12, following an accident during unit pre-scuba training several days earlier.

Lightfoot was a Special Forces detachment commander assigned to Co. C, 2nd Bn., 7th Special Forces Group (Airborne). He was a native of Elmont, N.Y.

Lightfoot graduated from Xavier High School and enlisted in the U.S. Marine Corps in 1995 as a Personal Finance Records Clerk. In 2004, he completed the Marine’s Officer Basic Course and the Infantry Officer course in Quantico, Va.

After serving for five years as a Marine Infantry Officer, Lightfoot attended the Special Forces Assessment and Selection Course in July, 2008. In November, 2010 after successfully completing the Special Forces Qualification Course, he was assigned to the 7th Special Forces Group.

Lightfoot conducted multiple deployments as a Marine Corps officer in support of the War on Terror to both Operations Iraqi Freedom (OIF) and Enduring Freedom (OEF).

Lightfoot’s military education includes Marine Combat Training, the Marine Infantry Officer Course, the Expeditionary Warfare School, the Reconnaissance Long Range Surveillance Course, Tactical Air Control Party Course, Basic Airborne School, Special Forces Qualification Course, and Survival, Evasion, Resistance, and Escape Course.

His awards and decorations include the Combat Action Ribbon, Marine Corps Good Conduct Medal, Navy and Marine Corps Achievement Medal, National Defense Service Medal, Afghanistan Campaign Medal, the Iraq Campaign Medal, the Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal, the Global War on Terrorism Service Medal, Sea Service Deployment Ribbon, Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal, Navy Meritorious Unit Commendation, Navy Unit Commendation, Special Forces Tab, and Parachutist Badge. He was posthumously awarded the Meritorious Service Medal.

Lightfoot is survived by his parents, Denise Carter and Damian Gennino of Elmont, N.Y.

The circumstances surrounding his death are currently under investigation.
Attached Thumbnails

I just saw this. This is absolutely heartbreaking news. Juan and I were stationed together in Newport, RI from 1999-2000 when he was still a young Devil Dog and I was still an aimlesss Squid. One word to describe Juan: Honor. (for those that knew Juan, you know why I chose that word). He was an absolute PT beast and VERY intelligent, but more than that he was a good friend. He and two other Marines staioned there served as inspiration for me at a young age; my first real exposure to real professionalism. I didn't keep up with him afer I PCSed (and now I'm kicking myself for it) but I have no doubt he was an outstanding Officer. We just lost a super guy. :(

Back