Case Study: Revolution

Marauder06

Intel Enabler
Verified SOF
This is the start of a new case study. For those of you unfamiliar with how this works, I start a story loosely based on personal experiences and develop it based on your responses. This is a complete work of fiction and unless specified otherwise, none of the units, situations, or people mentioned are real.

The purpose of these case studies is to provide an entertaining venue to discuss military leadership. You should feel free to chime in with your suggestions, comments, observations and questions; that’s what really makes these fun for everyone. At the end of the case study, I’ll wrap it all up and talk briefly about how the case study compared to what happened (or didn’t happen) in real life.

These cases take time (in some instances, “a lot” of time) so no promises on when it will get wrapped up. I’ll go ahead and just say that I’ll work on this as I get time, and it will be finished when it gets finished; no promises.
Everyone is encouraged to participate in this thread and to offer suggestions, observations, and comments either about specific leadership-related themes or the plot in general.

This story takes place immediately after the events related in “Sun Tzu"
case study: http://www.shadowspear.com/vb/threads/case-study-sun-tzu-iii-31.14918/

/////

If there was a more useless, demeaning, and utterly worthless job for a Military Intelligence captain in the entire Division, Captain Scott Faith, formerly of the 2nd Special Forces Group, knew that he would be there instead of here in the 116th Transportation Brigade. Outmaneuvered by Major Dudley, or “The Dud” as he was unaffectionately known in his and CPT Faith’s former unit, Faith found himself not only cast out of his job supporting Special Forces, but also in the unenviable position of working for a man he totally despised.

The Dud, with whom Faith had frequently clashed in his previous assignment, had become the assistant to the Division G2, the senior intelligence officer in the Division. Traditionally, the Assistant G2 was responsible for making the assignments for all of the company-grade (i.e. lieutenants and captains) in the Division. The Dud took great pleasure in choosing for Faith a job that was 1) on the most remote section of post; 2) in a unit that wasn’t on jump status; 3) was a combat service support job; and 4) was subordinate to someone else. So, after clearing 2nd Group, CPT Faith reported to the 116th Trans and his new boss, the Brigade Executive Officer, Major Everly. MAJ Everly, Faith found, was not a bad guy. But he was a TERRIBLE officer. Having been passed over three times for promotion to the next higher grade of lieutenant colonel, MAJ Everly was merely marking time until his mandatory separation from active duty. Fat and hopelessly out of shape, Everly showed up late for work, regularly missed scheduled meetings, and spent most of his time on Internet job-hunting sites. He also never failed to miss the “mandatory” morning PT sessions. But he was not malicious, and in his own way took care of CPT Faith and the others working in the brigade staff.

Faith didn’t mind that Everly was a total slacker. In fact, his hands-off approach to… everything… meant that Faith got to pretty much run the Brigade staff. Faith was, in fact, the senior officer in the staff after Everly. There was only one other captain on the staff, the Brigade S3, a position usually held by a senior major or even a lieutenant colonel. The rest of the brigade staff was filled out with lieutenants, or the officer positions were vacant. This was in part because the Brigade was non-deployable and had only “garrison” responsibilities. It was also because the Brigade was scheduled to be de-activated in six months, and most of the officers (well, the good ones at least) had been shipped off to other units. And, Faith had to admit, it was in part because no one gave a shit about the unit.

But Faith did give a shit. Although he had made the decision to submit his paperwork to resign his commission, he was still and officer and comported himself like a professional. He also expected everyone around him to act like a professional officer as well. So he organized five-day-a-week officer PT, which everyone including the brigade commander (but not MAJ Everly) scrupulously attended. Faith organized by-weekly Officer Professional Development courses, with the responsibility for these events rotating through the various staff sections in the Brigade. He ran ranges, led training exercises, and even planned the Brigade’s first ever dining-out. In short, he did everything he could to keep his mind off the fact that he gotten fired from the job that would likely have been the most important assignment of his career.

And oh yeah, that part about “working for a man he totally despised?” Well, while it was true that MAJ Everly was technically Faith’s direct supervisor, because he was a hopeless wreck of an officer and because he was a non-intel officer and because he was due to get separated at any time, the Division G2 thought it would be in Faith’s interests to have a different “rater” on his Officer Evaluation Report, and assigned his Division Assistant S2 to figure out who it should be. Major Dudley said he would take one for the team and assume the responsibility for being CPT Faith’s rater. So now was Faith not only in the worst job in Division, he had the worst rater in Division as well. Not that he really cared, since he was getting out soon anyway. But it was something that grated him. The Dud made Faith report monthly in order to receive “performance counseling,” which usually involved The Dud inventing a hopeless array of tasks that Faith was to perform over the next month, and a demand to know why the hopeless array of tasks from the previous month was not accomplished. The Dud hoped to provoke Faith into over-reacting or to at least get under his skin, but it didn’t happen. Faith was long past caring.

If Faith doesn't shank/bottle/beat/bum rape that sack of shit of a Major in this one I'm going to download an IP spoofer and register 5 accounts a day pretending I'm a 15 year old kid who knows all about the SOF world from playing COD4, I'll do it Mara!!! I'll have you so busy banning fake annoying kids you will finally have an excuse to not be finishing the case study!

These cases take time (in some instances, “a lot” of time) so no promises on when it will get wrapped up. I’ll go ahead and just say that I’ll work on this as I get time, and it will be finished when it gets finished; no promises.

Translation from Officerese:

When you all start getting into it like a single mother with 5 screaming kids devouring "50 shades of grey" and a pizza I'll put the brakes on and post nothing, I'll laugh at your weak attempts to cajole me into carrying on with it and give weak arsed excuses about spanish papers and shit. When you have finally given up and moved on with your lives I'll post more. Then I'll laugh at you fools getting all strung out again waiting for more of the story. I am George R.R. Martin of the case study genre...

If Faith doesn't shank/bottle/beat/bum rape that sack of shit of a Major in this one I'm going to download an IP spoofer and register 5 accounts a day pretending I'm a 15 year old kid who knows all about the SOF world from playing COD4, I'll do it Mara!!! I'll have you so busy banning fake annoying kids you will finally have an excuse to not be finishing the case study!

When you all start getting into it like a single mother with 5 screaming kids devouring "50 shades of grey" and a pizza I'll put the brakes on and post nothing, I'll laugh at your weak attempts to cajole me into carrying on with it and give weak arsed excuses about spanish papers and shit. When you have finally given up and moved on with your lives I'll post more. Then I'll laugh at you fools getting all strung out again waiting for more of the story. I am George R.R. Martin of the case study genre...

fry meme.jpg

I've resolved to ridicule these for the first few posts, then ignore forever. Laughing whenever I see someone post in the thread every month or so when I hit 'what's new?'.

There was, Faith had to admit, an upside to being in this unit. The biggest benefit was the low expectations. Anything Faith did made him look like a rock star. Also, for the first time in his entire career, he felt like he got along with everyone in his unit. There was genuinely not a single officer in the whole brigade that he did not like. Part of this was because Faith didn’t care as much anymore, but part of it also was that he had matured a bit since leaving 2nd Group and was more prepared to accept people for who they were, and not how Faith expected that they should be.
The day Faith looked forward to every day was Wednesday. That was Ultimate Football day for Officer PT, and with the number of officers in the brigade, the games grew to epic proportions. There was an official “no sports during PT” rule in the Division, but it was routinely ignored in 116th Trans, and no one came this far out in the Back 40 of the Division to check on them anyway. Not only was Ultimate Football fun, but there were some people in the Division who were good. REALLY good. Too bad the game wasn’t a competitive league on post.

Faith had been in 116th Trans for four months. While many of his former comrades from 2nd Group had tried to maintain contact with him, Faith felt like it was better for everyone to sever all ties. Faith’s longtime nemesis, Major Quentin Roberts, had taken over as Group S2 for 2nd Group, the position that Faith was identified to fill before he got fired. Well, “fired” might be a bit harsh of a term, Faith mused. There was nothing in writing about the conditions under which Faith left 2nd Group; and since it wasn’t written down, it never happened. Faith’s record was clear; it looked like a routine administrative move from 2nd Group to 116th Trans… although anyone familiar with the Special Operations community might find the move a bit odd. But Faith new it was a demotion in all the ways that mattered. That was one of the main reasons he was getting out.

With regard to leaving the Army, Faith alternated between optimism, regret, and bitter cynicism. He had always planned on making a career out of the Army, as his father and grandfather had done before him. But he just couldn’t see himself doing this, dealing with people like The Dud, MAJ Roberts, as well as Lieutenant Colonel Suckhole and Major Sellout from his first assignment as a young lieutenant. As far as Faith was concerned, the Army was filled with corrupt and inept officers who fed a corrupt and inept system. He had no doubts that the “outside” was at least as corrupt and inept, but at least his leaders outside the Army weren’t going to get him killed.

Quick couple of questions:

Why would there be a no sports for PT rule? We institutionally play sports every Wednesday afternoon. It builds teamwork and gives you a workout, plus its fun and how often is organised PT fun.

Would it be possible for Faith to try out for the SFQC in his current rank?

Quick couple of questions:

Why would there be a no sports for PT rule? We institutionally play sports every Wednesday afternoon. It builds teamwork and gives you a workout, plus its fun and how often is organised PT fun.

It was a real-life rule they had at Fort Campbell when I was stationed there. The problem was twofold: most of the injuries that were making people non-combat-ready happened during sporting events (Joe plays kind of rough). Also, too many units were playing sports to the extent that it was causing their PT scores to suffer. Hence the crackdown. I think the rule was, "no organized athletics 0600-08o0." So what some units did on sports days was just start PT at 0800. Others just ignored the rule. When I was an infantry PL, we did organized PT in the morning and in the afternoon if we got everything else done, we did something fun. It worked pretty well.

Would it be possible for Faith to try out for the SFQC in his current rank?

That is actually something CPT Faith is mulling over. We haven't gotten to it in the story yet, though.

Oh Mac. Oh geez. I have not laughed that hard in a long freakin' time.

The torment of wondering if you should click on the link, or just ignore it for 7 or 8 months so it's almost half way started. :-/
I was only able to resist clicking until today. I'm so weak. :wall:

Why didn't the Warrants and Sr NCO's at 2nd Group let their counterparts at Div Hq know he was "The Dud"?

They were probably just happy to get rid of him. And SOF tends to not do a good job of putting things down on paper or care about what happens to a turd once they flush it.

No kidding, one time we punted a guy from the 160th for offering "information on our Little Birds and their customers" to a company making a video game, and he got needs-of-the-Army assigned across the airfield with 5th Group, which is where I was before I went to the 160th. WTF...

Like most of the rest of the buildings in 116th Trans, Faith’s office had no air conditioning. The industrial-strength floor fans that droned on endlessly in the hallway outside his open door succeeded only in moving the hot air around. But at least they kept the flies at bay. Peeling paint, which Faith had no doubt was lead-based, flaked off the walls any time they were touched. The floors reeked of something that smelled suspiciously like urine. Faded signs warning of asbestos were hung haphazardly in various places throughout.

Despite it all, Faith was happy. Genuinely happy. While what happened to him in Group was still a raw wound emotionally, he had hoped for the future. After a long discussion with his wife, he had decided to resign from active duty and go to graduate school. After he was done with school, he would move back to Alabama and work at the same defense contracting firm as his father. He would also join the National Guard, and both Explosive Ordnance Disposal and Special Forces had armories in his parents’ hometown. It would be difficult for a few years, but he and his wife were well-supported both by their extended families and each other. They would be OK. For her part, his wife had decided that she was ready to hang it up entirely. She had already submitted her resignation paperwork, and it had been approved. She would be out of the Army completely in two months.

Faith had yet to submit his papers. In fact, his resignation packet was on his desk, along with the application paperwork for a half-dozen graduate schools. The top sheets rustled on his desk every time the breeze from the fan oscillated over his desk, but the staples and the weight of the applications kept everything anchored down. It was 3PM, 1500 hours in Army time, and already most of the rest of the Brigade staff had trickled away and left for the day. Faith didn’t blame them; it was the Friday before a four-day weekend and there was pretty much nothing to do here. But professional pride kept him from leaving before 1600. He was particularly glad he stayed “late” today, because there was a knock at the door and an unexpected visitor appeared: Faith’s good friend, Captain Simon Criss.

Last edited:
[quote="Mac_NZ, post: 280238, member: 248"We institutionally play sports every Wednesday afternoon. It builds teamwork and gives you a workout, plus its fun and how often is organised PT fun.[/quote]

Thursdays for us, Aussie rules and Rugby are played against other units in the Brigade and it is brutal as any footy played anywhere. Especially when it's arms corps units versus other arms corps units. Infantry Battalions routinely win both competitions and many of the diggers are pretty much semi pro footballers, especially on the Rugby side of the house, once they start playing rep Rugby for Army and the ADF they're constantly off playing interstate or over seas.

He was particularly glad he stayed “late” today, because there was a knock at the door and an unexpected visitor appeared: Faith’s good friend, Captain Simon Criss.
Was this the 3A with whom Faith butted heads but eventually became besties with?

Perhaps he's got a hot fill unit assignment at some place neat!

Back