Case Study: Sun Tzu, III/31

I was referring to the next Case Study. As some of them utilize the same Characters and refer back to past Case Studies, I view them (Case Studies) as similar to a series. Thus the statement, "Anxiously awaiting the next installment."

Maybe someone else needs to write a story. Give Mara a break.

Then he can complain about your story. :ROFLMAO:

Thanks, everyone, for your encouragement and most especially for your patience. I enjoy doing these but they always take way, way longer to finish than I expect. Like six months longer. :( Part of it is I often end up doing massive re-writes or the good idea fairy swoops in and takes it off on a tangent. But now this one is officially done. Another one will start after I get caught up on my studies.

So let's talk about some of the lessons learned here, which is the reason we do these case studies in the first place. Here are some of the things I hope were conveyed over the course of this case study:

1) don't be a dick to people when it's not absolutely necessary
2) don't underestimate people, especially people who don't like you
3) if your power base is derived solely from patrons in the organizational hierarchy, you're screwed the moment that support evaporates
4) everything begins with people; if you have good people, and that includes good leaders, everything else kind of sorts itself out
5) relationships matter
6) you can't do everything on your own; trust, delegate, empower, hold accountable
7) haters gonna hate

and...

sometimes, no matter how badly you wish it were otherwise, the good guy gets screwed and the bad guy wins.

At least temporarily.

Any others?

I think the next one is either going to be about the Group Support Company, or focus on an ODA. I don't think I have enough personal experience to write something that is both accurate and interesting about an ODA so it will probably be the former rather than the latter.

Besides, anyone who knows the SF culture would read about an EAST program being set up and say" hah! this is bs, it will never happen" and I'd be dealing with a credibility deficit right from the beginning ;-)

Any experience with interactions between NG and AD groups? I would love to read a case study on that.
Reed

Any experience with interactions between NG and AD groups? I would love to read a case study on that.
Reed
To expand on this idea a little bit: Do a story around a big training exercise (or deployment) involving another service's SOF, or even another nation's. Explore themes of differing cultures within each, and how they conflict as well as mesh. You could call it "Diff'rent Strokes"

OK- I think I have the basic idea for the next case study. I'm going to stick to what I know and do the next iteration of CPT Faith's career after being sent down the road to Division (as opposed to "across the airfield" to another SOF outfit). I'm not ready to do justice to something that focuses on an ODA.

I think I might also do some more character development of other personalities who have been minor players so far, CPT Faith might get killed off or quit the Army or something and someone's going to have to step up.

More to follow in a week or so.

I hope there is a good looking Kiwi exchangee who demonstrates great prowess with the ladies, maybe you could call him Mac....

Back