Case Study: Sun Tzu, III/31

When the Group Commander and Captain Faith arrived back at the SCIF, The Dud was already there waiting for them. “Major Dudley, thank you for joining us,” the Group Commander said.

“Sir, I came over as soon as I could, what can I do to help?” The Dud responded. Faith resisted the urge to chop him in the throat on the spot.

“The major problem is, we can’t get the safe open to get the documentation out to verify our security procedures, and without that, we can’t pass the inspection.”

“This safe?” he inquired, although Faith was confident he knew exactly which one the Group Commander meant. “Yes, I saw Chief Rollins putting a bunch of stuff in there on Friday afternoon, when I was cleaning out my office and following the transition protocols that Captain Faith had established.

Where was The Dud going with this? Faith wondered to himself. Surely he wasn’t trying to blame this on Chief Rollins?
“I think I can help out with that, sir,” Major Dudley said to the Group commander. The Dud them dialed in a series of numbers and the safe popped wide open. Inside it was all of the inspection paperwork, neatly tabbed and labeled. “See? It’s all right here,” The Dud said innocently.

Faith didn’t catch exactly what the combination was, but he knew it wasn’t the same thing it had been two days ago. Faith exploded. “You sorry bastard! he shouted, “You changed the combination!” he said accusatorially.

The Dud looked perplexed. “Well, of course I changed the combination,” he answered defensively. “The SOP, that you wrote, states that the combination must be changed anytime one of the primary office holders rotates out. Since I was leaving the unit, and I changed the combination.”
“But you knew that we were having this inspection today!” Faith exclaimed, “And you knew that without this paperwork, we’d fail.”

“That’s correct,” The Dud said, pausing slightly. Faith had a bad feeling about this whole situation, but didn’t really understand why. Then it hit him- The Dud hadn’t stammered a single time. That meant he was completely confident in what he was doing. Which could mean only one thing: a setup.

The Dud shifted his gaze from Faith to the Group commander. “That’s correct, I knew that without this paperwork you’d fail the inspection, and I also knew that it would be a major gig if the former Group S2 left and the combinations weren’t changed. That’s why I changed the combination and called you with the new combo.”

“You never called me,” Faith challenged, his eyes narrowing. The Dud said nothing, but walked over to the phone and dialed in the number to Faith’s office. Then he pushed in the keys that played through the voicemail. There was a loud beep, then The Dud’s unmistakable stammer:

“Uh, yeah, Captain Faith, this is M-M-M-Major D-D-D-D-Dudley. Just wanted to tell you that I reset the combo before I left, in a-c-c-c-cordance with the n-n-n-new SOP. I don’t want to say what it is over the phone, but you’ll remember it from the first time you went through the inspection with me. I j-j-j-just wanted to s-s-say that I know we have had our d-d-d-differences but n-n-n-no hard feelings. Good luck with the insp-sp-spection tomorrow. I’ll be gone all day inprocessing but call me on my cell if you n-n-n-need anything.” MAJ Dudley then placed the receiver back on the phone and gave an “I told you” look to the Group commander.
“What time did you make that call, Major Dudley?” the Group Commander asked.

“About 1500,” the other man answered.

“Captain Faith, why weren’t you in your office at 1500 on Friday?”

“I was… out of the office, sir,” he answered. He didn’t exactly want to admit he was on his way to getting plastered at the joint retirement/promotion party.

“Let me get this straight. You spend the last day of work before a big inspection getting drunk, during duty hours, then you let the warrant officer who is responsible for running our side of the inspection go on leave, and because you can’t get the safe open, we completely fail a major inspection. Is that about right?” the Group Commander demanded. Faith made no reply, technically everything he said was correct.

At that moment, the Group DCO burst into the room. “Sir, I heard what happened,” he said. “I was at the range with one of our ODAs and the word came in. What do we need to do to fix whatever it is that’s wrong?”

“The main thing I think we need to do,” the Group Commander said evenly, “is to find a new Group S2.”

Someone has underestimated the conniving-ness of their adversaries, and possibly, is not fully aware of who ALL their adversaries are...

Also, I had to look up conniving. It didn't start with a "K". :(

“Wait, what?” the DCO asked, confused, “I don’t think that’s necessary, sir, we’ll get this sorted out and find out what went wrong so it doesn’t happen again.”

“I don’t think so,” the Group Commander said, “I know you said Captain Faith here is a solid guy, but it has been one thing after another with him since I took over as commander. This is definitely the last straw.”
“Sir, we need CPT Faith so we have some continuity in the 2 shop. We have a deployment coming up, and no officers with intel experience left in the Group,” the DCO argued.

“Major Dudley has found someone, actually. A tabbed guy, with experience as an intel guy in 2nd Group to boot.”
Faith was confused. He could only think of one person that fit that description. Please don’t say it…

“I called Division and MI Branch a few minutes ago,” the Group Commander continued, “Major (promotable) Quintin Roberts will be reporting in tomorrow morning to take over as Group S2. Major Faith, I expect you to be cleared out of your office by then.”
Faith was crushed. Roberts? Taking over as Group S2? This was terrible news. In addition to getting fired, perhaps the absolute worst person to take the job was now getting it.

Faith waited a second to take it all in. “Roger, sir,” he finally said to the Group Commander.
“Sir-“ the DCO said urgently.

“Not another word,” the Group Commander said, cutting him off. “We’re done here. Gentlemen…” he said as he left the room. The Dud smirked as he turned and followed.

“Let me talk to him,” the DCO said to Faith.

“Don’t bother sir,” Faith said. “The Commander is right. I failed, and the Group suffered as a result.”

“No, this is bullshit,” the DCO insisted, then he too was gone.

The DCO’s departure left Faith and The Dud alone together in the SCIF. Faith idly wondered if he could kill The Dud and hide his body. Too many witnesses, he decided.

“In my new job over at Division, I handle all of the assignments for incoming intel officers,” The Dud stated. “I’ll be sure to assign you something that’s a match for you’re a-a-a-“

“Abilities?” Faith provided. The Dud glared at him
“Be at the Division Headquarters at 0600 tomorrow morning,” The Dud snapped before turning to leave.

“The combination?” Faith asked, indicating the safe.

“I told you, ‘you’ll remember it,’” The Dud said smugly. “I know I always will.”

Alone now in the SCIF, Faith walked over to the now-closed safe. He at least had to find out whether what The Dud said was true. He squatted in front of the safe and dialed in a combination. “You’ll remember it,” The Dud had said. Faith knew what it would be: 0-50-0 the default combination from when Faith had unintentionally embarrassed The Dud at that first inspection all that time ago. He paused a minute after inputting the combination, then reached out and snatched the safe’s door handle to the left. It shot over with a resounding klank! and the door was unlocked.

Sure enough, all of the inspection materials were in the safe, neatly organized and ready. Faith took them out one by one and set them on the floor of the SCIF. He was about to close the safe door when he noticed one more thing inside.

Faith heard footsteps behind him and knew it would be Sergeant Major Reynolds. “Hey sir,” he said, his voice ringed with concern, “I heard what happened. I came over as soon as I could.” Faith didn’t acknowledge him. His attention was focused on a small piece of paper, a page torn from a book. Faith recognized it immediately. It was a page from The Art of War, taken from a specific book he hadn’t seen in a long, long time. It was page 82, Section III, part 31. One specific portion was underlined lightly with mechanical pencil. “If ignorant of both your enemy and yourself, you are certain in every battle to be in peril.” He knew immediately what it was, who put it there, and what it meant. He held the paper in his hand for a second before folding it twice and slipping it into his pocket.

Reynolds had read the page over Faith’s shoulder. “What the hell does that mean?” he asked.

“It means I lost this one. It means I need to find a new job. It means,” Faith continued, “that I’m never going to underestimate anyone, ever again.” Faith scooped up the pile of inspection materials and handed them over to Reynolds. “You’re going to need this to get the inspection sorted out.”

“What are you going to do now, sir?” Reynolds asked concernedly.

“Well, I haven’t really thought about it,” Faith answered matter-of-factly. “I think I’ll start by going out to my truck driving home, and pouring myself a big glass of Southern Comfort. Then when my wife gets home, I’m going to tell her everything that happened, and we’re going to figure out where to go from there. And tomorrow, I’ll report to Division until I can find a permanent home somewhere else.”

Reynolds shifted the pile of paperwork in his hands. “Listen, let me get this stuff taken care of and we’ll go over to the Stab and Jab with a couple of the guys, I’ll get Captain Criss and Chief Michaels and some of the guys, and we’ll have a good time for a while. I’ll drive you back to your house after your wife gets there.”

Faith smiled. “Will, I’m going to be OK,” he said. It was true; Faith didn’t feel… anything. He was over the anger and the disappointment, he didn’t even feel a sense of emptiness that everything he had worked so hard for had crashed to the ground and the hands of The Dud. Faith had played the game, and had lost. This time. But not for long.

The cell phone in Faith’s pocket buzzed. Cell phones were forbidden in the SCIF and had to be left at the entry control point, but Faith had forgotten to do so when he entered today. One more thing he could add to the “list of things that should have gone right today.” But it was a minor thing, all told, and since he and Reynolds were the only two people in the SCIF, Faith was pretty sure that it wasn’t going to be an issue. Pulling the phone from his pocket, he saw the call was from Chief Rollins.

“Hey Chief,” he said as soon as he connected the call, “How was the wedding?”

Rollins got straight to the point. “Sir! What the hell is going on down there? I left my phone in my room this morning when we were getting ready for the wedding and just not got it back. There are literally like 20 messages saying there is a problem with the safe, and that we’re going to fail the inspection??? Put me on the line with the inspectors, I’ll sort it all out!”

“Chief, we’re past that now, the inspection is over. We got set up.”

“Who the fuck did it!?” Rollins demanded, shouting. “I’ll fucking end them when I get back up there!”

“It doesn’t matter now, Chief,” Faith assured her.

“OF COURSE it matters, sir!” Rollins insisted. “Look, I’ll leave now and will be back home as soon as I can. I’ll get things worked out with the inspectors and we’ll get to the bottom of what happened.”

Faith looked at his watch. “Look Chief, even if you left right this minute, you’d have to drive all night and you wouldn’t get here until… at least 6 AM. As my last order to you as the MID commander, I’m ordering you not to come back home until the sun comes up in the morning. It’s too dangerous, and it’s utterly unnecessary. We have the stuff we needed out of the safe now, there was nothing you could have done had you been here during the inspection, and there’s nothing you can do by coming home tonight, except get in a wreck. So stay with your family tonight, and come home in the morning.”

Rollins was silent for a moment. “You’re not going to be able to order me around so much when you’re the Group S2 and we have a new MID commander,” she said, part teasingly and part petulantly.

“Yeah, well, I’m not going to be doing that anymore, either,” Faith explained. “The Group Commander feels like it’s best that I be moving on now.”

Rollins was silent again. “You…, you got fired?” she asked.

“Pretty much, yeah,” Faith answered. There was no reply, just a sharp intake of breath and what Faith thought was Rollins crying.
“Look, we’re all good here, things always work out for the best. I’ll see you when you get back home. It has been a pleasure serving with you. You were the best warrant officer I ever served with,” Faith said sincerely. When Rollins didn’t respond, Faith went ahead and ended the call as he, too felt himself begin to tear up.

When the call was over, Faith looked down at his uniform shirt and unclipped the SCIF access badge. He tossed it gently on top of the pile of inspection material that Reynolds was now carrying.

“Had to work hard to get that,” he mused, considering the badge for a moment. “Want to walk me out?”

And with that, Captain Scott Faith left the 2nd Special Forces Group, got into his truck and drove home to find his wife (who had been tipped off by either Rollins or Reynolds) already there waiting for him with a tall glass of Southern Comfort and Diet Cherry Coke.

THE END.

“If ignorant of both your enemy Marauder06 and yourself, you are certain in every battle Case Study to be in peril.”

Not the ending I was expecting, but at least it actually ended... So when does the next one start Mara?

He got too cocky, and should have gone to the default setting automatically.

I'd have changed the combo and left a voice message (FWIW- I would have also filed a security incident on the Dud as the guy leaving is not allowed to change the combo).

FWIW, I HATE reading about politics in the military. It upsets me the same way that soldiers bragging about stealing from other soldiers does. I don't want it to be true, yet I know it is. Mission before personel business. Cpt. Faith was a failure just as much as the Dud in this regard.
Reed

SOWT, I agree with the Group Cdr wanting his buddy in the slot, but I thought the voicemail was before the end of the duty day. The writing was on the wall and CPT Faith failed to realize it in time. May be he will get a job across the air field with his buddy.;-)

The mail was left after the end of the duty day.

The Group Cdr was looking for a reason to fire Faith and put his "Tabbed" buddy into the slot.

No it was left before end of duty but Faith was at the retirement party...

“About 1500,” the other man answered.

“Captain Faith, why weren’t you in your office at 1500 on Friday?”

“I was… out of the office, sir,” he answered. He didn’t exactly want to admit he was on his way to getting plastered at the joint retirement/promotion party

Mara dispite all my belly aching I thoroughly enjoyed this case study. I learned a lot and have a tendency to fall in to the same holes that CPT Faith falls in to but not nearly as dramatic.:sneaky: lol The funny thing is kinda the same thing happened to me while I was a SPC in Afghanistan and then again on the trail (that one was a couple of times). This case study has helped me realize where I went wrong.

Well I guess officers can occaisionally be decent teachers....:-/

No it was left before end of duty but Faith was at the retirement party...
Semi-true.
A Retirement Ceremony of such magnitude would be considered an official function (and arguably, a place of duty). The fact that they had Designated Drivers also indicated official acceptance.

The Dud ambushed the CPT, and quite frankly the CPT under-estimated the Dud.

Anxiously awaiting the next installment

... THE END.

Uh... what about ^ do you not understand? :-" No more installments on this one.

Now a NEW Case Study... THAT we can look forward to - though, WHEN is a whole 'nother topic of discussion... :ROFLMAO: :wall:

Here's hoping he compiles these into a cohesive learning tool of some sort. 8-)

LL

Back