Case Study: Sun Tzu, III/31

Despite a herculean effort on the part of the entire MID, the laptop in question was, in fact, missing. At 1530, Faith called the DCO via a secure line in the SCIF and informed him of the possible security breach. The DCO asked all the questions Faith had anticipated- did you look everywhere? Did you check with PBO? Did you call in all of your people off of leave and from training? Did someone contact SGT Turner? After Faith answered in the affirmative to all of these questions, the DCO let out a deep sigh. “OK, it’s a lockdown. I’ll let the old man know.”

The only thing worse than being the victim of a lockdown caused by someone else’s negligence, Faith mused, was being the one that caused it in the first place. Soldiers from all over the Group were streaming back into their office areas to join the search for the missing laptop. They were NOT pleased. Much of the goodwill that the MID had developed through countless hours of training with and deploying alongside the 18-series Soldiers evaporated, reminding Faith of the old adage, “One ‘oh shit!’ wipes out all of your ‘atta-boys.’”

“Where do you need me, Chief?” Faith asked when he went down into the SCIF and found Chief Rollins. Now was not the time for fixing the blame for this, Faith knew, now was the time for fixing the problem. And Chief Rollins seemed to have a plan.

“Sir, we cleared four of the five rooms down here,” she replied, all business. “We have one more to go. We could use you in getting some of those heavy Pelican cases down and opened,” she added, indicating where those items could be found. Faith stripped off his uniform top, but before he went to work helping move the storage cases, there were two places he wanted to physically check first. It wasn’t that Faith didn’t trust his subordinates; it was just that in a situation this important, there were some things he needed to see with his own eyes first. This was something that he learned during his time as a company commander in Korea. Having satisfied himself that the missing laptop was not in either of the two areas he thought it might be, Faith dove into the work and started sorting the heavy cases.

“ATTENTION IN THE SCIF!” Faith heard someone bellow from the entry control point a short time later. The SOP was that the guard at the entry control point would call the SCIF to attention any time an officer from outside the MID entered, or if the MID commander was present, anytime an officer who outranked the MID commander entered. This served two purposes: it helped maintain military decorum, and informed the workers in the SCIF anytime an “outsider” was present. Since Faith was currently the highest-ranking officer in the SCIF, he knew that someone in the grade of at least major had entered. Faith hoped it wasn’t The Dud.

It wasn’t. Faith was surprised to see the Group Commander standing in the SCIF, for what was probably the second time, ever. He did not look pleased. Faith tugged on his uniform top, which he had removed while he helped shift heavy equipment around the SCIF and approached the Commander.

“Hi, sir,” Faith said, intending to give the Group Commander a status update.
“Captain Faith,” the Commander stated evenly, “Can you explain to me why two whole ODAs got called in from pre-deployment training and are now locked down in the Group area, the last free day they have before they are supposed to be on a plane to Afghanistan?”

Sensing that he was about to be on the receiving end of a major butt-chewing, Faith replied, “Sir, we’re missing a classified laptop. We’re doing everything we can to find it.” The Commander didn’t reply to his comment.

“Where have you looked?” he demanded.

“Pretty much everywhere,” Faith answered.

“What about in there?” the Commander asked, his eyes lingering on a metal wall locker behind the entry control point.

“Yes, sir, we looked there,” Faith said, feeling a bit uneasy.

“Humor me and open it up,” the Group Commander instructed. Faith had one of his Soldiers take off the lock and open the doors to the locker. Inside was a jumbled mass of computer equipment which was marked for turn-in. This was one of the two places Faith had checked when he first came down to the SCIF.

“What is it we’re looking for?” the Commander asked. Faith told him. The Commander fished around inside the locker and pulled something out. Faith felt his senses tingling.
“What is the serial number?” the commander inquired. Faith told him. The Commander looked at the serial number on the laptop he was holding, looked at Faith, and then tossed the laptop onto a nearby desk.

“There’s your missing laptop, Faith,” he said. “The lockdown is off.” He started to move towards the door.

“Sir,” Faith said, stunned, “How did you know where to look?”

“I ran into MAJ Dudley on my way down here, and he mentioned that if he were in charge of the SCIF, that locker would be the first place he would look,” the Commander answered. Lowering his voice, he added, “I’ll do your job for you if I have to, captain,” his emphasis on the last word making it sound like an epithet, “but if I do, that means I don’t need you in my Group.” And then he was gone.

Faith stood there for a moment, perplexed. That wall locker was one of the two places he had checked before pitching in with the rest of the search. He was utterly confident that the laptop had not been in there even just a few minutes ago when he had checked it. He stood there in silence, looking at the wall locker and thinking. He didn’t even notice Chief Rollins approaching.

“Sir, I saw what happened,” she said. “I searched that wall locker myself, and that laptop wasn’t in it.” She looked upset.

“Yeah, I know,” Faith replied, “I checked it too.” He looked around. “Who is on entry control point duty?” he asked the Soldiers around him.

“I was, sir,” answered SGT Bradley.

“Did you see anyone else from outside the SCIF come down here in the last hour or so?”

“No, sir.”

“Where you here the whole time?” Faith asked.

“Yes,” came the answer. Faith turned to leave. “Well…” SGT Bradley started.

“Well, what?”

“Well, I went to take a leak about a half-hour ago, and when I came back I went to help move some things into the store room. But anyone who might have come in would have had to have had a SCIF badge."

Faith looked over to Chief Rollins. “When people badge in, is there a record?”

“Yes,” she responded, “But it only shows the time and that it was a ‘valid entry,’ it doesn’t note the badge number.”

“So we have no way of knowing who comes and goes from the SCIF?” Faith asked, rhetorically. They would need to fix that.

The setup needs exposing and fast. The blame for this needs to hit the Dud like a ton of rotting bull testicles.

It wasn't the Dud who stole it. It was the new guy.
Stole it or placed it in the locker? If the S2 was part of the line of hand receipts, Occam's Razor would put money on someone in the S2 being involved in the disappearance, not a newcomer. The prodigious appearance of said computer in the Magic Locker, on the other hand...

I would wager that when SGT Turner cleared, he returned the machine to S2 and didn't get the hand receipt back.

If the S2 was part of the line of hand receipts, Occam's Razor would put money on someone in the S2 being involved in the disappearance, not a newcomer. The prodigious appearance of said computer in the Magic Locker, on the other hand...

I love it when you talk logic like that. :bow:

The prodigious appearance of said computer in the Magic Locker, on the other hand...

Makes the person that took it guilty of mishandling classified material...if you can prove it.

Oh, and new guy doesn't have a SCIF badge yet unless I missed it somewhere. The guard needs some remedial training on not leaving a post without relief. If the person that stole the laptop tailgated through the control point, then the guard that left his post has to get fried as well as the person that allowed the tailgating or the whole thing falls apart and Faith is screwed.

Stole it or placed it in the locker? If the S2 was part of the line of hand receipts, Occam's Razor would put money on someone in the S2 being involved in the disappearance, not a newcomer. The prodigious appearance of said computer in the Magic Locker, on the other hand...

I would wager that when SGT Turner cleared, he returned the machine to S2 and didn't get the hand receipt back.
Makes the person that took it guilty of mishandling classified material...if you can prove it.

Oh, and new guy doesn't have a SCIF badge yet unless I missed it somewhere. The guard needs some remedial training on not leaving a post without relief. If the person that stole the laptop tailgated through the control point, then the guard that left his post has to get fried as well as the person that allowed the tailgating or the whole thing falls apart and Faith is screwed.

I never said the new guy put it in the locker after Faith searched it. I said...

It wasn't the Dud who stole it. It was the new guy.

I never said the new guy put it in the locker after Faith searched it. I said...

Sorry, the rest of my post wasn't directed towards yours, just the first sentence. The second block was a general observation that the guard was derelict in his duty and, if it turns out that a non-cleared person entered the SCIF due to that dereliction, Faith has to fry him.

Faith had, of course, no idea who put the laptop in the “magic locker” and made it appear out of thin air. Faith himself had checked the locker, and Chief Rollins claimed she had, as well. Another NCO and a Soldier both said that was the first place they checked, and it wasn’t in there. So someone put it there. And it had to have been very, very recently, because it wasn’t’ there when Faith came down to the SCIF not 30 minutes ago.

But who would have done it, and why? The obvious perpetrator would have been… who? Surely not SGT Bradley. Faith had come to trust the man, and did not think he would do something like this. Why would he? If not him, who? Someone who had access to the SCIF, whose presence wouldn’t arouse suspicion, and who would have known that the internal entry control point was unmanned. That left out MAJ Roberts, who was every bit dirty enough to plan something like this, and every bit devious enough to pull it off. Unless…

“Hey! Listen up!” Faith said in a voice loud enough for everyone to hear. “I need everyone up front in the ECP for a second!” Not everyone was able to crowd into the tight confines of the ECP, but everyone got into a position where they could listen.

“Is there anyone here right now, who is not in the MID?” he questioned. Other than a few low, scattered “no, sirs,” there was no answer.

“OK, got it. Listen guys, we have a situation here. Someone took control of a classified laptop, hid it from us to get us all panicky, and then put it back inside the SCIF to make us all look bad. I want to find out who it was.” There was angry, scattered muttering in the crowd of Soldiers. They were probably at least as pissed off as Faith was.

“Now, I have some ideas about what happened, but I need some more information before I do anything about it. First,” he continued, “Did Major Roberts come through the SCIF at all, in the last 30 minutes or so?” No one seemed to think so.

“Sir, I don’t even know who that is,” said SGT Bradley.

OK fine, Faith thought, it was most likely not Roberts. He wasn’t assigned to the unit, so he definitely didn’t have a SCIF badge. He would have had to have had someone else’s badge and someone else’s code, AND not be seen coming or going from the SCIF. So most likely, it wasn’t Roberts.

“Did anyone see anybody from the S2 shop down here today?” There were many positive responses to this question.

“Sir, I think pretty much all of them were through here at some point, helping us look for that laptop,” Chief Rollins explained.

“Even Major Dudley?” Faith inquired.

Rollins nodded. “But that was like… an hour ago, well before you came down.”
Faith considered what she said for a moment. It still would have been possible for The Dud to come down while SGT Bradley was away from the desk, enter the SCIF, toss in the laptop, and get out without anyone noticing. The Dud had to be the guy.

“OK, this is important and I should have asked this at the very beginning, but I’m asking it now,” he said, raising his voice so everyone could hear. “Does anyone have any idea how the classified laptop we’ve all been looking for so frantically got into this wall locker,” he pointed at the locker in question, “after it was cleared?” No one responded. Faith looked directly at SGT Bradley.

“Sergeant Bradley, do you know anything about how this laptop,” Faith said, pointing at the laptop, “got into that locker?” he pointed at the locker.

“Sir, I have NO idea,” Bradley responded, looking distressed. “You’ve got to believe me!”

Faith believed him.

“OK, I think we’re done here,” Faith said. “First Sergeant, take charge of the company and dismiss them for the day. 0600 PT tomorrow. Thanks everyone for all of your hard work on this.” Faith exited the SCIF before anyone could respond.

“Sir- sir!” Chief Rollins exclaimed, almost running to catch up to Faith. “We should talk about th-“

“Talking time is over, Chief,” Faith said evenly. “We all know what happened.”

“Do we, sir?” she inquired. “All we know is that someone put that laptop in locker.”

“We all know who did it, Chief,” Faith said.

“Do we, sir?” she asked again.

“Chief, this ‘do we sir’ shit is starting to get old,” Faith said irritably.

“Well, what are you going to do now?” she asked anxiously.

“I’m going to go find Major Dudley and punch him in the fucking face,” Faith explained.

“Two times,” he added, holding up two fingers.

At that moment, the door to the SCIF opened and First Sergeant Reynolds burst through. “Hey Chief!” he said to Rollins, “Where did- oh there you are,” he finished, seeing Faith. “What are you two talking about out here?” he inquired.

“Well, tell him!” Rollins demanded, expecting Reynolds to help talk Faith out of the course of action he had decided to embark upon. Faith said nothing.

“He said he was going to punch Major Dudley in the face!” she exclaimed with exasperation.

“Two times!” Faith corrected her, holding two fingers again.

Reynolds was silent for a moment.

“Right on, let’s do this,” he said, unbuttoning his uniform top. “Want me to hold him down or something?”

“Well,” said Chief Rollins, “I don’t think we need to hold him down, we just need to talk him out of attacking Major Dudley.”

His uniform top removed, Reynolds looked at Rollins with confusion. “I’m not talking about holding down Captain Faith, I’m asking him if he wants me to hold that conniving jackass Dudley down while he gets punched in the face.”

“Two times!” Faith reiterated.

“NOT helpful!” Rollins exclaimed, stomping a foot and glaring at Reynolds, who she thought would be on her side in this discussion. “Look, both of you, there is something here that we’re not seeing yet.” The door to the SCIF opened and two Soldiers appeared, probably on the way home. “Get your asses back in the SCIF and tell everyone else that no one is going anywhere until the three of us are done talking!” she shouted at them. The two stunned Soldiers, to their credit, took it in stride and, raising their hands in mock surrender, retreated back into the SCIF and closed the door behind them.

“That was kind of rude,” Faith said. Rollins ignored the comment.

“There’s something going on that we don’t see,” she reiterated, her voice almost pleading. “Whoever did this, they knew you would blame it on The Dud-“

“Yeah, because he’s the one that did it,” Reynolds interrupted. Nonplussed, Rollins continued:

“They knew you would blame it on The Dud, and probably over-react, which isn’t going to help ANYONE, and would only serve to make you look bad and get you into trouble. Look, both of you, you worked too hard- we ALL worked too hard- to get the MID where it is today. Don’t screw this up acting in the blind.”

She had a point, Faith knew. He already felt the anger leaving his body. Reynolds looked at him, ready to back him up however this ended up going.

“Chief,” Faith said, putting a reassuring hand on Rollins’ arm, “we’re just teasing. We’re not going to do anything to Major Dudley.”

“We’re not?” Reynolds questioned. Rollins glared at him.

“But we have to get to the bottom of what happened,” Faith continued. There was a noise at the top of the staircase leading down to the door of the SCIF and the hallway where the three MID leaders were talking. “I know The Dud did this, I just have to prove it.”

“That guy isn’t smart enough to pull something like this off!” Rollins insisted loudly. At that moment, the person descending the steps turned a corner and came into view. It was The Dud.

“Oh hi sir,” Rollins exclaimed, embarrassed. If The Dud knew that the three had been talking about him, he made no sign.

“There you are, Faith,” The Dud said. “Th-the G-G-Group Commander w-w-wants to see you in my office right n-n-n-n-“

“Now?” Faith finished for him. The Dud, angry at being mocked yet again, turned and stomped back up the steps.

“You just can’t help yourself, can you?” Rollins asked rhetorically of Faith.

Reynolds tugged his uniform top back on. “Come on sir, I’ll go with you,” he offered.

“I still think I should punch him in the face,” Rollins heard Faith mutter as he and Reynolds began to ascend the stairs.

“Two times,” Reynolds replied.

The conversation Faith overheard with the new guy and the Dud might have a bearing on this..

Back