Certs, courses, etc.

IDPA has it's issues but yes, at least you're shooting to some standard instead of "I'm ok compared to the guys I shoot with". You clarified everything I was wondering about.

Josh

I spend alot of time with a Marlin bolt action .22Lr rifle at one hundred meters. I use a simple 3x-9x33 Simmons scope. Once upon a time a well known P100 shooter told to me to spend as much time with the .22Lr as I would with a 5.56 or .308+ He is right !!! All of my mistakes/fleas with the .22Lr will show themseves in the .22Lr caliber.

Once my .22Lr hits are accurate, then applying the same techniques to the larger calibers is basically the same. Only difference ? Recoil !!!! :D

I have also used a high class Austrian pellet rifle, with scope to sharpen my rifle skills. I helped me a lot. It was also a lot of fun, shooting the occasional Crow or Rat. The best part it doesn't make any noise compared to a .22. In a city setting firearms noise can be a problem. Ammo costs are very minor as well.

J.A.B. mentioned the use of the conversion kit for his 9MM pistol. I too did this for my Govt. model .45 and saved a lot 0f $$$ in ammo costs. It is a very smart move. :2c:

(1) If that's being directed at me, then either you are not reading my posts well, or I am coming across badly. I will now step away slowly from this thread...

(2) I don't disagree with anything you said, did my best to ask what seemed the appropriate questions to the issue, and made comments that seemed applicable.

I appreciate your taking the time to give me the 411 on the issue. :)

WB, you're doin now what most of us wish we were doin, gym, range, gym, range, and getn paid for all of it........ALONG WITH being your own boss.

JAB's quote was basically directed at himself, the way I read it.

Kinda like sayin 'I learned my lesson', so to speak....in a humbling sorta way... ;)

One point that's not being addressed is the pro-timer as a stress inducer, gunshot simulator. I hated hearing the jolt of eeeeennnnnggght in my ear. Immediate heart rate jump, stress through the roof, get to kakkin right now.

sunny, if the tool you have in your hand is the only tool you have on hand and the target is at 50yds, you better be damn good with that 'tool'....... :uhh::p FFT

Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, FRONT SIGHT FRONT SIGHT FRONT SIGHT.

Correct with the speed AND accuracy post.....speed without accuracy is a waste of time

and money.
....neither of which I have enough of.

:2c:

WB, you're doin now what most of us wish we were doin, gym, range, gym, range, and getn paid for all of it........ALONG WITH being your own boss.

And I have to hear that "eeeeennnnnggght in my ear" almost every weekend during IDPA season...:)

WB, in no way shape or form am I saying you have an ego issue at all... That is the first thing I tell anyone who comes to a class I teach (mil or civ) and it's the number one killer of learning! It took me several $$$$ and a lot of being frustrated as a young kid/ adult, before I finely pulled it together. Its kind of my personal catch line...

The point I am making witch I sure you understand now, is that you would waste your hard earned $$$$ going to these combat courses, if you are not fully prepared and at a level to receive and retain the training. Test your self on the 50 yards stuff, see how you do. If you can not keep at least a 9inch group at 50 yards. Go back refresh on the basic fundamentals, humble your self and spend some self training time to advance your self. Then start rebuilding the speed and stress...

If you need any courses of fire, shooting drills, or just advice on how to diagnose/ correct a problem to help you along, I am more then happy to post them here or email them to you!

J...

WB, in no way shape or form am I saying you have an ego issue at all... That is the first thing I tell anyone who comes to a class I teach (mil or civ) and it's the number one killer of learning! It took me several $$$$ and a lot of being frustrated as a young kid/ adult, before I finely pulled it together. Its kind of my personal catch line...

The point I am making witch I sure you understand now, is that you would waste your hard earned $$$$ going to these combat courses, if you are not fully prepared and at a level to receive and retain the training. Test your self on the 50 yards stuff, see how you do. If you can not keep at least a 9inch group at 50 yards. Go back refresh on the basic fundamentals, humble your self and spend some self training time to advance your self. Then start rebuilding the speed and stress...

If you need any courses of fire, shooting drills, or just advice on how to diagnose/ correct a problem to help you along, I am more then happy to post them here or email them to you!

J...

Thanx for the clarifications. Much appreciated. At my range right now, best I can do handgun is 25 yards, so I use a 5 " plate. The 50 yard and on, are rifle only. PITA really. I will probably join a better range in the near future.

Things to know/ practice before embarking on a combat course:

Equipment:

Test all your equipment before taking any paid for training! Put the cool guy gear on and roll around in the dirt, check for workability in all position (standing, kneeling, prone, supine), check to make sure you can perform a mag change in all positions. check to ensure all your equipment will with stand rolling around and excessive wear.

Magazine changes:

Practice magazine changes tactical and emergency 20 time daily for at least 2 weeks prior to attending a course. Practice these from all position. One handed mag changes (think muzzle discipline) and practice as many different ways to change magazines one handed, using weak and strong hand. Do not go for time, just doing it the same way every time.

Drawing from the holster:

Tape a piece of white paper on a wall, point the (unloaded) pistol at the paper. You want your muzzle to be no more then 5 inches away from the paper at full presentation. Holster and practice drawing with a 4 point pistol draw, ever time you get the pistol to half lock out focus on the sights as you go to full lock out. Do this at least 20 times a day for 2 weeks prior to training. Do not go for time, just doing it the same way every time.

**Note** Your sights should already be aligned when you are at full lock out. The white paper shows if they are or not.

Marksmanship:

1.Dry fire at the white paper 1 to 2 time per every live round fired, make sure your muzzle is just far enough away so that it is not touching the wall. Practice pulling the trigger and holding it, cock or rack the pistol with non firing hand (while holding trigger) release and listen for the click. Never divorce your finger from the trigger until you have completed the firing. Adjust grip and trigger control, so that sights do not move when hammer falls...

2.Bulls-eye at 25 yards slow fire 5 live and 2 dummy per mag (mix the dummies in) for 100 rounds, think every round is a dummy. Mentally tell your self that the gun is not going to go off every time. If you still notice anticipation, dry fire 5 times prior to ejecting the dummy and firing again.

3.B27 type target at 25 yards, fire 5 live and 2 dummy per mag for 100 rounds, practice tap rack bang every time you hit the dummy (unless you anticipate recoil, then dry fire). Fire 2 magazines from standing, kneeling, prone and supine. (all groups under 6 inch)!

4.B27 type target at 15 yards 3 by 5 index card center chest, and 3 by 5 index card center head, fire 2 shots (controlled pair, no double taps) 2 to the chest 1 to the head and then in reverse, 2 to head 1 to the chest. Fire at least 50 rounds and add magazine changes and stoppages.

5.4 B27 type targets (same thing on each with index cards) at 15 yards, space targets out 12 inches apart. Fire 2 to the chest 1 to the head on target 1 and 2, reload and fire the same on targets 3 and 4. then fire 1 chest shot on each target (1,2,3,4,) come back to target 1 and do 2 to the chest 1 to head. Next go 1 chest shot on (1,2,3,4) come back to target 2 and 2 chest 1 head. Continue this one every target for at least 100 rounds. All shots on the index cards...

**Note** on all courses of fire use no time limits, just simply enforce accuracy. Speed up and slow down as needed to maintain accuracy.

Mental:

Maintain a marksmanship goal for each range day, push out everything that is not just simple basics (align the sights and control the trigger). If you have a bad shot or a few bad shots, ignore them. Only focus on what you did to archive the good shots... Remember to maintain on only basic skills, do not test or try an new trick. Just plain and simple basics.

When attending training, take anything and everything you have learned in the past (outside of basics) and put them out of your head. Come in to the course with a clear humble mind, that all you know are the basics. Allow the instructor to coach you through his training. Remember you are paying him for what he knows and provides in that particular course, nothing else.

Take written notes on things you find that improve your speed and accuracy. Bring a camera or video camera, and record as much of your performance as possible. Use it as a training refresher.

**Note** confirm that the trainer does not mind a video camera or camera during the course.

These are just things that I found problems with in the past or helped prepare me for a course I was taking. Things I have noticed from training others and just BTDT...

I hope this helps!:);)

Not sure if I ever put this up, but on a search, could not find it. To reserect the thread: I took Jeff Gonzales's of Tricon Concepts* CP-1 pistol course this fall as mentioned, while he's in the area at Sig. The course is 8am to 5pm (with a very short break for lunch) over two days and approx 1,500 rnds. This was a great all around foundational combat handgun course that pushes your equipment and skill hard. Jeff is a great teacher and no BS individual, and I was happy I didn't embarrass myself at his course.

At around 1000rnds, the slide release lever on my 1911 broke, so it would not lock back when it was empty. Had to run it that way 'til the break, then went to a back up (gotta have a backup for such courses!) and was GTG from there.

I have heard complaints about ACT-mags and their crappy base plates. I never had any issues with them, but they were being dropped on dirt at the IDPA matches I competed in vs concrete. I had 3 ACT mags hit the concrete floor during this course, and the base plates completely shattered with springs flying, etc.

Only got my ass chewed out once, which is a record for me...

Course was an A+ for me, and I suspect everyone who attended, mostly LEO it seemed. My hands are sore as shi$, one gun is broke, down 3 mags, my back hurts, and it was all worth it.

If Jeff comes to your area, or within range (2 guys drove 7 hours up from Jersey) take a course with Jeff, you won't be sorry.

* = www.tridentconcepts.com

I hope to take future courses with Jeff, Larry Vickers, Black Water, and other locals. Would enjoy hearing others experiences and opinions of the courses they have taken, etc.

Back