Chinook continues to be an asset

Grimfury160

Personnel Clerk
SOF Support
Shaking a tree! Do you see me on the map?
“The Chinook has served as the backbone of U.S. Army aviation since the Vietnam era, revolutionizing how we move troops and supplies in combat, and save lives and deliver aid in times of need. The latest F-model has ushered in a new era of heavy-lift capability for the U.S. Army. With continued technology insertions, I fully expect that 50 years from now there will be a centennial celebration for Chinooks still in service.”
-Col. Bob Marion, U.S. Army Cargo Helicopter program manager, Aug. 16, 2012
“Our forces on the frontline in Afghanistan repeatedly tell me that Chinooks are indispensable on operations. I am therefore delighted to announce plans to deliver more of these robust, effective and proven battle-winning helicopters.”
-UK Government’s then Defence Secretary Bob Ainsworth Announcing the Future Helicopter Strategy in December 2009.
“The Chinook has over the years proven itself to be a true workhorse for the Netherlands Air Force. The aircraft proved to be ‘the right tool’ for a difficult and challenging job, especially in austere environments and during the combined air and ground operations in Afghanistan. Both ground troops and aircrew speak highly of it.”
-Air Commodore Theo ten Haaf, Commanding Officer Defence Helicopter Command of the RNLAF. The RNLAF ordered six more CH-47Fs to supplement their 11 CH-47Ds.
Rotor and Wing Magazine, 2012

110302-F-VY794-8091.jpg

21975n7.png

Operation Mount Hope III was a secret American operation to capture a crashed Soviet-made Mi-24 “Hind” attack helicopter. The aircraft had crashed and been abandoned in the conflict between Libya and Chad. In 1988 two U.S. MH-47 Chinooks of the 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment (United States) flew almost 500 miles at night to the site and lifted the helicopter out without being detected. The mission was conducted entirely within Chad, with the approval of the government of Chad.

21975n7.png

Operation Mount Hope III was a secret American operation to capture a crashed Soviet-made Mi-24 “Hind” attack helicopter. The aircraft had crashed and been abandoned in the conflict between Libya and Chad. In 1988 two U.S. MH-47 Chinooks of the 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment (United States) flew almost 500 miles at night to the site and lifted the helicopter out without being detected. The mission was conducted entirely within Chad, with the approval of the government of Chad.
Little mods were done on the original 47 models, plus they flew in brown out conditions! HindChad.jpg

I think it gets down to durability. F-111 was another durable unit that lasted for quite a while.

Back