Colt Awarded Contract For New MARSOC Pistol

Isn't the MK23 the size of a small child before you add all the extra cool guy shit to it?

The .45 ACP is an awesome round. Don't know why they would not go with the H&K Mk 23?? It has all the 'extras" one would need...View attachment 6475
The Mk 23 is too fucking big to be useful.
IIRC H&K also had a non-standard rail system;meaning all weapon attachments came from them.

The new "MARSOC .45" will probably be a good backup weapon, but I think it will have teething problems and there will be some amazed Marines when they discover one round of .45 isn't the killing machine they were told it is.

In the end, shot placement is the determining factor.

The Mk23 is large,as it was designed to be shot with big, bulky gloves. I don't know if you have ever shot one, but they extremely accurate. And I'm a Glock fan!!:D
The USP is also a nice pistol, and should be given high consideration.

300px-FN5701.jpg

Herstal Five-Seven for the win.

The Mk23 is large,as it was designed to be shot with big, bulky gloves. I don't know if you have ever shot one, but they extremely accurate. And I'm a Glock fan!!:D
The USP is also a nice pistol, and should be given high consideration.

The Mk23 is an over engineered, very accurate, extremely large and heavy albatross. It is a half pound heavier than the HK45, and that's meaningful because the HK45 incorporates many of the important features of the Mk23 and improves on others (such as having a standard 1913 rail). It is also heavier, believe it or not, than the Colt Rail Gun MARSOC selected. The USP is a nice pistol, but in my view in .45 ACP it's been eclipsed by the HK45.

The Mk23 is a cool pistol, but it isn't practical and in fact wasn't designed to be used as a general issue sidearm, even to SOF troops. It's no longer made, and the SEALs replaced it with the HK45CT.

If they are set on a .45 pistol, why not go with a rifle chambered in .30 carbine? Why not a machine gun in .303 Enfield?

I'm pretty sure mostly everyone despises the Mk. 23. Well, mostly everyone in SOF who has access to them. In the arms room. Where they should remain forever. }:-)

No but seriously, whats wrong with the idea of using a five-seven?
I'd love to see it in some platforms other than the current. It's a good round, I think they need a different pistol to shoot it.

I gather not many people know about Chesty Puller;

Puller cracked his knuckles, loaded up his Colt 1911, and landed at the head of the 1st Marines at Inchon in September of 1950. At the Battle of Choisin Reservoir, Puller and his men found themselves holed up in the town of Koto-ri, completely surrounded by ten full Divisions of Chinese Infantry hell-bent on killing every American they could find and then re-animating the dead bodies to fight as their undead army of the night. Heavily outnumbered, and fighting in ball-freezing sub-zero temperatures, Puller’s troops broke the enemy lines, smashed through seven enemy divisions, and then stayed behind as a rear guard, bearing the brunt of the Chinese onslaught so that the rest of the Marines could complete their retreat (Puller refused to refer to it as a retreat, however, he preferred to call it, "attacking in a different direction").

"All right, they're on our left, they're on our right,
they're in front of us, they're behind us.
They can't get away this time."

If a 1911 was what he used, then let the rest of the Marines use it too. It is not the weapon, it is the person behind the weapon.

If a 1911 was what he used, then let the rest of the Marines use it too. It is not the weapon, it is the person behind the weapon.
- Davie Crockett was really good with his flintlock, but I'd bet on any 18 year old PFC with an M4 against him.
- It never hurts to have the best piece of equipment in your hands. The 1911 was the best pistol we had in the Korean War, that's not the case anymore.
- Chesty also probably carried an M1 Garand, definitely not something I'd recommend to anyone these days.

Back