Common body type in SOF units? Lean or Football player like?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can tell you two of the higher ranked CSO's from 1st MSOB in Sangin were FREAKISHLY big... but they also had a few boys with them that were on par with their Afghan allies size. Anyone from 1st MSOB could probably figure out who I'm talking about as far as the larger sized CSOs go. Those boys were hard to miss.

When I got to Batt, one of my first questions was "when do I start bulking up?", I got laughed at and told I came to the wrong place for that. I'm 6' 1" and weighed 180 in Battalion and never had a problem carrying my weight as it was all muscle, sinew, and bone, with a slight amount of gray matter for good measure. I now weigh 200# and am comfortable with that as I'm still agile. The most I ever got up to (and it wasn't fat weight) was 225 and I hated it for my lifestyle. I ate like a pig although it was all healthy foods, and hit the gym religiously. I still ran a bit, but biked more. As someone said earlier, it really depends on the needs of the job. My old SQL started eating everything in site while he was training for SFAS and bulked up, but it was muscle weight as he was not one to lay around in the weight room for all his fitness needs. He could run your ass off and beat up students from School of the Julio's with parts of phone booths. Being a Sniper, I could slither through the woods a lot better than the chunkies who would hit every sapling and vine with their pudginess, and get busted on a stalk most always.

I don't think it's whether you look like a football player or a marathon runner, it's whether you can pull your weight and keep up. What I personally observed in Batt. was that most guys would lose alot of weight during the training cycle, and then bulk up on deployments. Guys would deploy with half an ISU of supplements, not to mention there are pallets of METRX already overseas when you get there. Then you get back home and back to ruck PT, running everyday, range weeks, etc. and you start to lean back out.

1165105984usvrxl.jpg

Takes all sizes, the bloke on the left is a midget and nuggety, the bloke on the right (disregard the muppet on the far right) is a touch over 2 meters tall 6'6"/6'7" and about 2 pick handles across the shoulders. They're both the same in the muscle that counts, the one in between their ears. Like goon was saying, the first pics of Ben Roberts Smith VC. MG, he looked like his shirt and jacket were two sizes too big for him after coming back from a recent deployment, he'd just lost a fair bit of weight while away.

At my old work we had two guys were ex SF that I know of and one ex Brit Para. One of the ex SF blokes is huge, he's a big big guy. The other (the top boss) is a short arse and skinny as hell. Actually I used to make fun of how small he looked in photos until I realised we're the same height when we finally met LOL.

The Para was quite a small guy but tough as hell, you could just tell.

I've seen lots of different "body types", it varies on job and free time to spend with the weights. I've even seen some pretty small guys do the same and in some cases more than the bigger guys. The only thing that matters is what's inside your melon.

Of the guys who were from my class and are in CQT now, the shortest guy is 5'5"/160lbs. The tallest is around 6'6"/210lbs. Both guys and all the ones in between are quick in the water and on the sand. But, as was mentioned earlier, they have what it takes in that 6" space between the ears.

Thanks for the information everyone, means a lot to a noob like me.

Doesnt Rusty fit on a charm bracelet? :confused::D

Pretty damn close to it. At 5'8" and 165 lbs., I'm about 10 pounds heavier than I was when I was in 2/75. However, I was one of those skinny guys who could carry an assload of weight and make it look easy...

Pretty damn close to it. At 5'8" and 165 lbs., I'm about 10 pounds heavier than I was when I was in 2/75. However, I was one of those skinny guys who could carry an assload of weight and make it look easy...

Doesn't make sense if you look at the numbers but it works, and that's all that matters.

I didn't give a shit about the size or strength of someone, I looked at their performance under a heavy ruck a few days into the bush, that's where things got real.
To be honest, all the muscle heads were bloody useless, all pussies who ended up crying about "injuries" when the skinny dudes kept patrolling along. Seen it may times.

Doesn't make sense if you look at the numbers but it works, and that's all that matters.

I didn't give a shit about the size or strength of someone, I looked at their performance under a heavy ruck a few days into the bush, that's where things got real.
To be honest, all the muscle heads were bloody useless, all pussies who ended up crying about "injuries" when the skinny dudes kept patrolling along. Seen it may times.

When I joined the army I was 6 ft 165. When I finished SFAS I was prolly 175. Gaines weight in Basic. After my time in SF I am now 205. Not fat either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back