Configurable Extended Range Sniper Rifle (CERSR)

Chad

U.S. Optics
Verified Sniper
:uhh: Reads like it was written for the Remington MSR

Solicitation Number:
W15QKN-09-X-0416
Notice Type:
Sources Sought
Synopsis:
Added: Jul 22, 2009 8:49 am
The U.S. Army Joint Munitions and Lethality Life Cycle Command, PicatinnyArsenal, NJ is interested in determining the state of the art/state of thepractice of readily available (non-developmental) firearms that could serve as a Configurable Extended Range Sniper Rifle (CERSR). The purpose ofconducting this survey as part of a research effort is to identify potential sources of different types of CERSR candidate weapons that will extenda Snipers effective range when engaging personnel targets beyond current 7.62x51mm and .300 Winchester Magnum (Win Mag) based platforms and ammunitionwhile also providing the option of reconfiguring the rifle to fire 7.62x51mm and .300 Win Mag cartridges currently available to US Armed Forces. Theoverarching objective of this CERSR research effort is to ascertain 1) the viability of a rifle/cartridge materiel combination that will maximize personnel size target probability of hit and ensure lethality at various ranges out a minimum of 1500 meters and 2) if the platform can be configuredto meet the operational needs of military Snipers (i.e. weight, size, user interface, and caliber flexibility) based on Mission, Enemy, Terrain and weather, Troops available, Time (METT-TC) and Rules Of Engagement (ROE) considerations. In addition, the government seeks to characterize the effectsof changes on such things as weapon shooter interface design features, weight, barrel length/twist characteristics, cartridge performance, ease of reconfiguration, component alignment repeatability, and overall physical dimensions. Potential CERSR candidates shall meet the following criteria:

1) Readiness Level: Design is ready to work in its final form and under expected conditions with exception to minor user induced changes that are primarily user interface related and materiel submissions are immediately available for evaluation. The manufacturers existing technical datacurrently provides sufficient data to support fabrication of prototype materiel (Developmental Design Drawings) for test and can be ready formanufacture (Product Drawings) within one (1) year of this announcement.(See MIL-DTL-31000C, section 3.6.1 for Developmental and Product drawingdefinitions).

2) Caliber: Chambered to accommodate a .338 caliber cartridge, however, .338 cartridge configuration is open to any commercially available variant andbullet weight (See FAR 2.101 Commercial item) and also capable of reconfiguration to chamber 7.62x51mm NATO STD ammunition particularly M118LR (DODIC AA11) and .300 Win Mag (DODIC A191) cartridges.

3) Configurability: It is desired that the serialized receiver be common to all caliber configurations, however, one serialized receiver per caliber isan acceptable solution at this time for this research effort. The rifle shall be reconfigurable at the Field Maintenance level (combined operatororganizational level (-10) and direct support (-20)) by MOS 45B-Small Arms Repairman after receiving contractor supplied training and special tooling(See AR 750-1 for Army Maintenance Policy). It is requested that a brief description of any special tooling (and associated cost) be disclosed inresponse to this sources sought announcement if required for rifle reconfiguration.

4) Sound Suppressor: Configured with one (1) sound suppressor and applicable interface hardware capable of tool less attachment to and removal from7.62x51mm, .300 Win Mag, and .338 caliber rifle barrels. Sound suppressor shall not shift point of impact by more than two (2) minutes of angle in allcalibers. Impact shift direction shall be consistent when removing and reattaching the suppressor.

5) Stock/Chassis: Stock shall accommodate detachable box magazine configurations designed to reliably feed 7.62x51mm, .300 Win Mag, and .338, with an ergonomic adjustable comb, length of pull, and folding butt stock.

6) MIL-STD-1913 Rail: Shall be configured with a MIL-STD-1913 rail capable of accommodating both a day optic, an in-line, forward mounted detachableclip-on night vision device as well as other rail mounted ancillary target acquisition and aiming devices.

7) Day optic: Shall be configured with a day optic scope (DOS) and mounting rings. The DOS will have ample magnification to easily acquire and engagetargets out to a minimum of 1500 meters, be fitted with a rapid ranging stadia reticle, 1/10th milliradian elevation and windage adjustments, and enough reticle travel to accommodate a minimum of 1500 meter engagement given the proposed ammo/weapon and in combination with the platforms1913 rail declination (if any).

This survey will provide insight to the government on the trade-offs associated with integrated CERSR rifle design, reconfiguration advantages, andcartridge configuration. Interested responders should provide a description of their weapon system(s) including technical specifications (e.g. overalllength, barrel length(s) and associated rifling characteristics (i.e. twist rate and direction, type of rifling, number of grooves), loaded/unloadedweight, firing rate) along with any additional information the responder deems necessary to describe the physical characteristics and performance of thesystem. This is a market survey only.

In paragraph #4, at what distance are they evaluating the 2 moa? That's a hell of a lot of ballistic error at 1500m as stated in bullet 1) of the opening paragraph if the zero is at 300m, or maybe I'm missing something here. That's almost 2 feet of error not counting wind, temp, terrain, stress, visibility, etc. I also don't like the use of the term "probability" when it comes to Sniping at those distances. Our job isn't to scare the shit out of someone just for the fuck of it, there needs to be a confirmed if the round goes down range. :2c:

I would also like to hear from some users.

In paragraph #4, at what distance are they evaluating the 2 moa? That's a hell of a lot of ballistic error at 1500m as stated in bullet 1) of the opening paragraph if the zero is at 300m, or maybe I'm missing something here. That's almost 2 feet of error..

2moa at 1500m is a little over 30".

That should be workable if: "Impact shift direction shall be consistent when removing and reattaching the suppressor." The "consistent" should give you a value that can be dialed into the scope.

I'm not sure what the current requirements are for existing systems, if there are any requirements.

2moa at 1500m is a little over 30".

That should be workable if: "Impact shift direction shall be consistent when removing and reattaching the suppressor." The "consistent" should give you a value that can be dialed into the scope.

I'm not sure what the current requirements are for existing systems, if there are any requirements.

Not to split hairs here but don't forget to subtract your zero range from the 30" I'm just thinking of the pain in the ass of shifting between targets at various distances and having to dial all that shit in when under a time crunch. Just nitpicking as I tend to do with WS. I'd still shoot the fuck out of it though. }:-):D

The MSR was designed by a former CAG guy. It's more accurate than Remington says (1moa) and caliber changes are pretty easy.

As far as the stock & the torture test that I saw - it will last at least a couple deployments. And that's when you are absolutely trying to put the gun thru the paces and then some. I'd prefer something more like the PRS stock (for just the buttstock) but the MSR stock is no less durable.

I'm "pretty sure" there will be a select few Army guys running around with it in the near future.

Not to split hairs here but don't forget to subtract your zero range from the 30"..

I'm not tracking your line of thought?

If I zero at 100m, 300m or 1500m a 2moa shift in POI at 1500m is 34.3".

I'm not tracking your line of thought?

If I zero at 100m, 300m or 1500m a 2moa shift in POI at 1500m is 34.3".

I'll try and be clearer. Your position on the line is 0 meters and then you Zero at 300m you are then starting at 0 moa from that point, which takes off the 6 inches in question. You then have have a 24" + variation from the 300m point which is your zero or 0.

I'll try and be clearer. Your position on the line is 0 meters and then you Zero at 300m you are then starting at 0 moa from that point, which takes off the 6 inches in question. You then have have a 24" + variation from the 300m point which is your zero or 0.

And if you Zero at 1500m?

And if you Zero at 1500m?

If you zero at 1500m then you loosen the screws and reset your knobs back to that as zero. Then once you are at zero, anything beyond that becomes the adjustment. Same as when you zero the M24 at 300m with a 168gr Sierra boat tail, that is your zero point and then you adjust from there. zero means zero, or nothing, nil, etc. When you start from a zero at whatever distance, you are starting at nothing, no adjustment at that range except for windage.

No:

What are the same calculations, based on the above, but w/ a 1500m zero?

Your position on the line is 0 meters and then you Zero at 1500m you are then starting at 0 moa from that point, which takes off the "X" inches in question. You then have have a "y" + variation from the 1500m point which is your zero or 0.

No:

What are the same calculations, based on the above, but w/ a 1500m zero?

Your position on the line is 0 meters and then you Zero at 1500m you are then starting at 0 moa from that point, which takes off the "X" inches in question. You then have have a "y" + variation from the 1500m point which is your zero or 0.

I agree, my original point was in the wording of the accuracy for the rifle. So we both agree zero is zero, but getting that zero and proper grouping at that distance I would hope for a more reassuring description than what I read if the rifle is made for those ranges. It is also going to be heavily reliant upon the ammo run through it as you well know.

Back