.CSO vs. SOCS-C

You're misinterpreting the intent of reply. I'm not comparing the general Marine Corps to MARSOC. I'm just giving a little praise to the Marine Corps as a whole, and stating that in atleast in my experience it has offered me opportunities that I haven't seen from peers in sister service equivalents. Like I said though, I could be way off.

Unfortunately I've missed my chance to ever get there, unless they start taking volunteers from the reserves or something.
I agree with you. It’s hard to cast judgement on the Fleet Marine Forces when you have only been to two or three places. LtCol Kevin Shea (KIA OIF) was a communications officer and platoon commander at 1st Force Recon Company. I would have told you that was impossible but he did it. 2nd Recon gave their adjutant a platoon in 2006 after he passed BRC. I’ve seen intel officers in infantry billets, to include platoon and Company command, and infantry officers in intel billets. The Marine Corps is a great organization with lots of opportunities for hard chargers. You should look into cyber jobs. Lots of communications Marines there and we are always at war in cyberspace.

You're misinterpreting the intent of reply. I'm not comparing the general Marine Corps to MARSOC. I'm just giving a little praise to the Marine Corps as a whole, and stating that in atleast in my experience it has offered me opportunities that I haven't seen from peers in sister service equivalents. Like I said though, I could be way off.

Unfortunately I've missed my chance to ever get there, unless they start taking volunteers from the reserves or something.

Good point, hopefully you find opportunities that satisfy you in the reserves. I'll caution you at the cyber piece because that sort of paints you into a box but in the reserves, it might really be the better option. Best of luck.

Last edited:
Good point, hopefully you find opportunities that satisfy you in the reserves. I'll caution you at the cyber piece because that sort of paints you into a box but in the reserves, it might really be the better option. Best of luck.
Thanks! I finally started working with a PSR, and an 0211 recruiter. Waiting on a damn tattoo waiver, and considering putting it off one more year for an offered contracting gig.

Currently talking with the 0211 recruiter to see if doing that gig, and paying off my debts would be in my best interest for getting the required clearance.

I also hear there are some pseudo-cyber opportunities on the counterintel side of the house. Who know's maybe I'll end up doing something pertaining to that (If I get selected, and make it past the schoolhouse)

Thanks! I finally started working with a PSR, and an 0211 recruiter. Waiting on a damn tattoo waiver, and considering putting it off one more year for an offered contracting gig.

Currently talking with the 0211 recruiter to see if doing that gig, and paying off my debts would be in my best interest for getting the required clearance.

I also hear there are some pseudo-cyber opportunities on the counterintel side of the house. Who know's maybe I'll end up doing something pertaining to that (If I get selected, and make it past the schoolhouse)
There is definitely a role for CI/HUMINT Marines in cyber. Lots of training opportunities as well. It’s only going to get bigger in the future.

LtCol Kevin Shea (KIA OIF) was a communications officer and platoon commander at 1st Force Recon Company. I would have told you that was impossible but he did it. 2nd Recon gave their adjutant a platoon in 2006 after he passed BRC.
One a side note, the USMC named a communications award after him that is given out once a year to the "most outstanding" communications unit. I thought that was pretty interesting.

He was a great Marine and a mentor of mine. He’s one big reason i joined the Marine Corps.
I want to research more about him. Sounds like there's a lot to be learned from his example.

That award is unit based, you're referring to the Littleton.
No, I'm actually referring to the LtCol Kevin M. Shea Award, I understand its a unit level award though. My unit was awarded it three times, and back-to-back while I was there. Apparently we are the only unit to have done that. I don't know anyone who has been awarded the Littleton Award, but they must know their shit.

However, I feel like I'm derailing the thread here, so I'll shut up.

Back