Dark Horse Beasts preping for work

... Rather than dropping straight down like a rock would, they would come straight down in a circular path, Like the shape of a cork screw. Very tight turn, bird spirally down at a steep angle...

Wouldn't it be around this time the crew gave out paper bags? }:-)

Cork screw?

As I recall they (Pilots)would flare up and rock the Acft. back. By the time they rocked it back the fast ropes were already on the ground and the customers were being inserted. Pretty Awesome. Still makes the hair on my arms stand up. Not to mention the extractions. -WOW- NSDQ!!!

Having crewed Chinooks for 6 years, I`ve seen plenty of them land. The reason I asked the question is because I`ve never seen a landing as he described, and I wanted to be sure I understood what he meant. All the landings I`ve been in, or seen, have been straight down with no, or very little turning.

Edit: I was replying to Hoosierannie asking me if I`ve ever seen a helicopter land, but I didn`t hit the "quote" button apparently.

As I recall they (Pilots)would flare up and rock the Acft. back. By the time they rocked it back the fast ropes were already on the ground and the customers were being inserted. Pretty Awesome. Still makes the hair on my arms stand up. Not to mention the extractions. -WOW- NSDQ!!!

This was my experience with the 160th when I flew with them.

On a side note I got some pretty good footage of some guys fast roping out of a 160th Chinook maybe some day i will be less lazy and put it up

I was wondering if my memory was correct. Bob just called me (The Troll and LL knows him) he is a retired SgtMaj (29 years in the Corps). He was in RVN a year before me. I asked him about it, he said, yep that is the way they come in, especially if Arty is pounding the ground. Over time, I hate to admit it, but the memory cells start playing games.

I was wondering if my memory was correct. Bob just called me (The Troll and LL knows him) he is a retired SgtMaj (29 years in the Corps). He was in RVN a year before me. I asked him about it, he said, yep that is the way they come in, especially if Arty is pounding the ground. Over time, I hate to admit it, but the memory cells start playing games.

I know what you mean now Hollis. You`re referring to a coordinated, nose low continuous 360 degree descending turn. I kept picturing an aircraft spinning on it`s vertival axis and dropping out of the sky.

I know what you mean now Hollis. You`re referring to a coordinated, nose low continuous 360 degree descending turn. I kept picturing an aircraft spinning on it`s vertival axis and dropping out of the sky.

We called that descent the tilt-a whirl, or the puke machine... for good reason... I preferred NOE and nose flair so you could just fall out onto the ground...

Back