Data Breaches

The WPA2 hack is bad, but barely so. Sure, it affects every almost wireless user out there, but you need to be in close proximity, Windows has patched the vulnerability, and Apple's in beta testing. This is massive in scope, but minimal in impact. Use HTTPS (an option for this forum and default for many other websites) and/ or a VPN (which you should do anyway).

I did send the details to my users today, if only because many of them aren't geeks. I knew the articles, if they even saw them, would confuse the hell out of a non-tech guy.

The WPA2 hack is bad, but barely so. Sure, it affects every almost wireless user out there, but you need to be in close proximity, Windows has patched the vulnerability, and Apple's in beta testing. This is massive in scope, but minimal in impact. Use HTTPS (an option for this forum and default for many other websites) and/ or a VPN (which you should do anyway).

I did send the details to my users today, if only because many of them aren't geeks. I knew the articles, if they even saw them, would confuse the hell out of a non-tech guy.

Don't forget about how easy HTTPS stripping is.

Anyone here an Uber rider?

From USA TODAY

Uber kept mum for a year about hack of info for 57 million users

Uber paid hackers $100,000 to hide year-old breach of 57 million users

SAN FRANCISCO — Personal information belonging to about 57 million Uber customers and drivers was stolen by hackers last October, a breach the company kept hidden for a year and for which its chief security officer was fired this week.The stolen data included names, email addresses and phone numbers of 50 million Uber riders and 7 million drivers. The drivers’ stolen information also included 600,000 US. drivers' license numbers, CEO Dara Khosrowshahi said in a statement. "You may be asking why we are just talking about this now, a year later. I had the same question," Khosrowshahi wrote.After asking for an investigation, Uber discovered that instead of notifying regulators and the affected individuals it had "identified the individuals and obtained assurances that the downloaded data had been destroyed," he wrote.

Any different than a hospital paying a ransom?

Yeah, I saw that episode of Grey's Anatomy last week too.

Uber withheld information from the public that their personal data had been hacked.
#sleazy

Personal information belonging to about 57 million Uber customers and drivers was stolen by hackers last October, a breach the company kept hidden for a year and for which its chief security officer was fired this week.The stolen data included names, email addresses and phone numbers of 50 million Uber riders and 7 million drivers. The drivers’ stolen information also included 600,000 US. drivers' license numbers,

Yeah, I saw that episode of Grey's Anatomy last week too.

Uber withheld information from the public that their personal data had been hacked.
#sleazy

Personal information belonging to about 57 million Uber customers and drivers was stolen by hackers last October, a breach the company kept hidden for a year and for which its chief security officer was fired this week.The stolen data included names, email addresses and phone numbers of 50 million Uber riders and 7 million drivers. The drivers’ stolen information also included 600,000 US. drivers' license numbers,

I can't really get upset that names, emails, and phone numbers were hacked. It's all public information and all Uber was protecting was their image.

Was it really in an episode of Grey's Anatomy? Way too much stuff on Netflix to catch up on to watch hospital drama shows.

Meanwhile.. My Oculus Rift has a mic and three sensors on in my room that can probably be grabbed by someone

Back