David Petraeus’s first year at the CIA

I must admit I have been pleasantly surprised. Initially I was like WTF? As much as you have to love GEN Petraues he is not an Intel type. Fortunately his SOF resume and leadership abilities gave him the bonafides to make it happen. I thought it might have went to a guy like Vickers though...

I must admit I have been pleasantly surprised. Initially I was like WTF? As much as you have to love GEN Petraues he is not an Intel type. Fortunately his SOF resume and leadership abilities gave him the bonafides to make it happen. I thought it might have went to a guy like Vickers though...

Petraeus has SOF credentials? I wasn't aware of that.

I too thought that this was the case, but a quick look at his bio doesn't really show any SOF experience. Though he was the honor grad at Ranger school, for what its worth.

McChrystal and McNeill were the only two ISAF commanders to have any US SOF experience. McNeill was in SF before they gave out tabs.

You can't worry about that kind of thing with general officers though. If you used dress uniforms (minus rank) as resumes, the average SOF E-7 would have be much more impressive than some of the most formidable general officers- in impact awards, valor awards, purple hearts, deployments, specialty badges, etc.

Back