DLAB Failure.

Start getting on it as soon as you know what language you're going to get. Any prep you're able to do (learning the alphabet, memorizing vocabulary) before school starts is that much less stress on you and your family. If your family goes with you to school, try to get your wife to learn some of your target language too.

I've seen some wives sit in on the classes if there's room. If I recall correctly the class prior to mine a spouse sat in for the entire class....something to look into. It will give your wife a better understanding of what you're going through.

To echo what Marauder set, get started on it ASAP. If anything you could atleast get the alphabet down, sound of script ect.

The other thing you need to remember and apply is that it's NOT ENGLISH. Do not try and make sense out of the language by applying grammar rules for English. Pashto: My name milktruckcopilot is..... French: I me call milktruckcopilot....with French you HAVE so many years....you are not so many years old..

I'm starting to have DLI flashbacks, I was there twice... O_o

Sorry for inducing flashbacks :(, but I really appreciate all the feedback from you gentleman! I'm quite a bit less anxious about it now. My wife completely understands that I will be in classes 5 days a week most of the day with a couple hours or more of study/homework to do at night. She is the type of woman that would come and sit in on the classes too if she got the opportunity. So I will talk to her about that.

As soon as my TS is in the works I will be dropping the reclass paperwork. Hopefully all will go well with that and I can get to DLI by the summer, not sure how they structure their class dates. I will hopefully be getting picked up for E-6 next month. I'm 40 points above last months cut-off, 721 now. So that is a plus, so I won't be getting forced out if this doesn't work out.

Again, thanks for all the help and as soon as the packet goes through and I get assigned a language I will pop back in this thread and ask a million questions again :)

I was there in 07-08 for farsi. I am also from Monterey area, so if you have any questions, I would be glad to help.

Well, I got my class date. June 4th is my report date.

I got to choose my language/follow on assignment, so I went with Spanish/7th. I have some friends there from my first deployment. The 35P branch manager is my new hero! Love the man.

My orders will be cut next week. I only have one 'small' issue. My wife is 17 weeks pregnant and our due date is June 18th. I don't want her to fly after April, for her and the baby's safety. I have heard that you can report up to 60 days early to DLI, but don't know for fact.

Always has to be at least one obstacle to make life interesting it seems...

Well, I got my class date. June 4th is my report date.

I got to choose my language/follow on assignment, so I went with Spanish/7th. I have some friends there from my first deployment. The 35P branch manager is my new hero! Love the man.

My orders will be cut next week. I only have one 'small' issue. My wife is 17 weeks pregnant and our due date is June 18th. I don't want her to fly after April, for her and the baby's safety. I have heard that you can report up to 60 days early to DLI, but don't know for fact.

Always has to be at least one obstacle to make life interesting it seems...

I'll send you contact info for a SOT-A that's out there now in the Spanish class. I thought you were a Chem Recon guy?

I was, so hard to get back to a Recon plt and right now there isn't much upward promotion after getting 6. The Army was making my decision a lot easier with forcing reclasses.

I didn't want to get out right now, with the economy the way it is. Now that a little one is on the way.

Thanks both of you! :)

Well, I won't have any of that. Coming from a NATO job. I don't even know how that will work. I'm guessing I will just keep wearing my prior unit crest.

Only thing I got going for me is the rank, CIB and PH. I won't even make it to 7th till next year summer time frame. DLI-AIT-ABN then I'm there finally :)

Well, I won't have any of that. Coming from a NATO job. I don't even know how that will work. I'm guessing I will just keep wearing my prior unit crest.

Only thing I got going for me is the rank, CIB and PH. I won't even make it to 7th till next year summer time frame. DLI-AIT-ABN then I'm there finally :-)

And the balls to become a SOT-A. Only us dipshits would want a job like that. ;) I PM'd ya the info.

I wouldn't say it's balls, but I get some sort of sick & twisted enjoyment out of being in danger. I think it's because I was raised on a farm and bored to death for 18 years of my life.

The recruiter actually called me an idiot for turning down all kinds of tech jobs to join the infantry and he was infantry :-)

Don't fuck up. The young uns at DLI will look up to anyone with the electric butterknife and red hat.

Since he's AD he'll wear the DLI patch and crest...Yankee Samurai!! ;) Group doesn't have him...yet.

Start streaming Spanish. I can't stress this enough.

Spanish was one of the first languages to get the DLPT V while I was there. It was a massacre with the first couple of classes. I'm curious if it improved.

Yea, I actually convinced one of my buddies here to go and take it. Gave him an English Grammar in 30 Min or Less book that I glanced at before I took the test. Also gave him some insight on how the test is structured, so he doesn't get the 'oh what the fuck' face like I did on the very first part of the test. We will see how he does on Thursday.

I got my orders finally, but the report date on the orders say June 30th. Then in the special instructions it says I have to be there no later then 1500 on June 4th. I have to report 60 days early otherwise my wife will be over the 36 weeks no fly rule and that is going 60 days back from June 4th. Hoping that branch can fix that.

I've already started to go over some Rosetta Stone and if I report early I 'heard' that there are study groups that you can get into before the class starts.

The orders do say that I can report up to 60 days early, but it has to be from June 4th. That is my ATRRS course reservation for Spanish. 60 days before that is when I have to get my wife out of Europe or her ass is stuck here giving birth without me.

I don't have any idea why my orders have two conflicting dates. I'm sure I could report June 30th, but then I would be 26 days late for the class. Not sure that would go over well.

Back