Does this man deserve flag rank?

I know this is quite an old thread, but here's an update!

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news...at-promotion-for-navy-officer-who-sho/?page=1
A Senate committee has refused to approve a promotion to admiral for a Navy officer who, as a young fighter pilot during a training mission, deliberately shot down an Air Force plane whose flier has suffered a life of pain from his forced ejection.
The Senate Armed Service Committee took no confirmation vote on the nomination of Capt. Timothy W. Dorsey as the 112th Congress ended.
Because the Senate did not act, the nomination goes back to the White House. The Navy has the option of trying to resubmit his nomination during the 113th Congress, which convened Thursday.
The Washington Times first reported in February that President Obama had submitted Capt. Dorsey to the Senate despite the officer’s misdeed as an F-14 Tomcat pilot 25 years ago during an exercise over the Mediterranean Sea.

What baffles me is these two snips.

“The September 22, 1987, destruction of USAF RF-4C was not the result of an accident, but the consequence of a deliberate act,” the investigator wrote. “His subsequent reaction [to the radio command] demonstrated an absolute disregard of the known facts and circumstances.”
"Fished out of the water and taken to the Saratoga, Col. Ross waited for an apology from Lt. Dorsey. It did not come until last year, when the former Air Force pilot received a note from Capt. Dorsey as his nomination was pending in the Senate Armed Services Committee."

That really shows a lot about his character.

That really shows a lot about his character.

A persons "character" has never really been the deciding factor in many of this administrations nominations or appointments. Remember the "Czars"?

If the MSM doesn't conduct "due diligence", then why should the POTUS feel the need, he hasn't yet.

A good decision by the Senate IMO. This guy is a fuck up who never should have gotten this far, his commanders at the time should have been held accountable too (maybe they were, I doubt it though).
Apart from a possible character problem with this guy as a reason to not promote him, I think you have to look at they way his subordinates will view him. I know I'd be thinking "Coming from a guy who shot down one our own planes".

I'm tired of the intel community being a consolation prize for wannabes, has-beens, never-weres, and screwups. "Shot down one of ours? No problem! Here's your map marker and order of battle chart. Son, you're now an intel officer." :thumbsdown:

Good to see that the senate put the block on this squeezer.

Although, the saying "Shit floats to the top" springs to mind.

There really isn't a valid reason this guy isn't still in a military prison. Ditto for anyone that interfered in the process.

I agree this guy's CO should have been held accountable as well, but when the guy says he meant to fire a live missile--twice!--at what he knew to be a US plane that is sufficient proof that he is simply too dumb to draw breath.

That's what I don't get. When I first heard this story, I thought, "well, shit happens sometimes, maybe he thought that the other aircraft was a legit threat to the carrier." But when you follow one of your own aircraft FROM the refueler, back into play, and then you attempt to fire two missiles at it... wtf. Maybe he forgot he was carrying live missiles. Whatever. Should not have been allowed to continue in the service as a commissioned officer. I've seen people get worse for less.

SOWT brings up some valid points of mitigation. During the Cold War MIG CAP was serious as hell. Many have read some of the submarine brinkmanship; well for the surface Navy (I can't fucking believe I'm defending the fucking Navy) it was just as much. The Russian were constantly pushing the envelope trying to get close to our carriers via sub-surface, surface, and air. The same thing went on along the inner German and Czech border. The next year one of my Bde's QF birds got locked on, a Cobra gunner got retina burns from a Hind targeting laser. Then the fun times when four or five Warsaw Pact fighters would cut in full afterburner and head straight towards the border prompting a major CAP scramble and blood pressure issues.....

A LTJG is not an Ensign. JG should have some smarts. Most squadrons will pair more senior ranking RIO's with junior ranking pilots and senior pilots with junior RIOs. What was the RIO saying during the whole encounter?

Mara - you'll have to ask your Dad about this since your too young to have remembered "The Kitty Wilder Episode". (THE reason WHY no MI officer went through the Q course till 1989.... The guy that did was friend.)

I'm very familiar with the Kitty Wilder story. But she never committed a live-fire blue-on-blue ;-)

What's the "Kitty Wilder Story"? I ran a Google search, but couldn't find anything.

Back