"Don't call me Sir..."

s it acceptable for me to refer to a LT as "Lieutenant"? I am not sure if this is his Sea Cadet rank, or his Navy rank.

The Sea Cadets follow the customs of the US Navy. It is acceptable to address any Officer by their rank or rank and last name. Also, junior officers (ENS O-1 thru LT O-3) can be addressed as "Mister."
One major exception to this rule is that any CO of any man-o-war or ship of the line (that's a regular US Navy vessel denotes by the USS before the ships name, as in USS Arizona) is addressed as "Captain"
formally and sometimes "Skipper" informally, regardless of his/her actual rank and is traditionally never addressed as "sir."

BTW, I learned all this as a Sea Cadet. Some of it was in the BMR book., but most of it I found in the Bluejackets manual. The Bluejackets' Manual is an invaluable guide for any sailor that served me well as a Sea Cadet, an active duty Bos'n's Mate, and I even haul it these days to refresh my knot-tying and such.

Ah, crap, I think I accidentally mentored somebody.

Find our what his first name is and address him by that. Or just call him "dude." Officer LOVE that kind of thing. Make sure you do it in front of the Senior Chief.

Oh, to be a fly on the wall.....

Oh, yeah.... if said fly was wearing his flame retardant kevlar boxer shorts....and body armor

Mara, you used to be the 'good Mod'.... now you are just attempting to foment dissent and disquiet among the paramilitary training organizations of our youth... good job, I like that.

Mara, you used to be the 'good Mod'.... now you are just attempting to foment dissent and disquiet among the paramilitary training organizations of our youth... good job, I like that.

I have to act out like this every once in a while and spread some hate and discontent, or Freefalling and the other admins will beat me.

Attachments

• adminpower.gif
    adminpower.gif
    884 bytes · Views: 5
just learn your lesson from it and move on. dont worry about the little stuff just correct yourself and dont or try to not let it happen again.

I didn't read every last post, but I'll put my 2c in anyway, even if somebody beat me to it.
E grade(enlisted, NCO, etc) are to be addressed by rank or some such abbreviation, Sergeant, Master Sergeant, etc.
O grade(commissioned officers) are to be addressed as sir or ma'am.
With Army Warrant Officers(I forgot what their grade alphabeta identifier is), they are called Mr. or Ms.
In the end, just learn your ranks, address the rank appropriately, sticking to addressing them by their rank, Colonel, Sergeant, etc, usually never fails, but you should still know what grade is attatched to the rank since some officers get off on the sir thing. If you are unsure, refer to them by their actual rank and ask a squadmate later.
As for Lt's, just call him butter bars, they like it when you point out the shiny metal on their collars.

As a SrNCO I always let the "Sir" thing slide and answered in kind i.e., Airman/JrNCO ask "Sir?", I responded "Yes Sir?". It’s just a matter of respect, and the way a lot of us were raised. However, one time a 2Lt called me "sir" in a tone of voice that I really didn't like and my response to him was "Don't call me sir, my parents were married!" I counted one thousand one....and made it to four before the insult registered on the dumb SOBs face.

As a SrNCO I always let the "Sir" thing slide and answered in kind i.e., Airman/JrNCO ask "Sir?", I responded "Yes Sir?". It’s just a matter of respect, and the way a lot of us were raised. However, one time a 2Lt called me "sir" in a tone of voice that I really didn't like and my response to him was "Don't call me sir, my parents were married!" I counted one thousand one....and made it to four before the insult registered on the dumb SOBs face.
Funny thing, after I wrote this, I visited a SOF buddy of mine, we walked outside and he called me sir as he thanked me for lighting his cigar. Granted, we're both civvies now, but he was a Capt and I was a SGT, so it was awkward for a moment when it registered, lol.

On the positive side you are interested in learning and I find that refreshing. The Navy is steeped in tradition and a lot of it is just fun to learn. I am truly glad to see the future sailors coming along. The first Engineman Master Chief in the Navy pulled my bacon out of a jam that could have been serious. Once we left the green table I paid dearly for the error.
Welcome aboard
Bill

I served in the Monterey Police Department with an Officer named, Ron Fulkerson. Ron had enlisted into the Navy for four years because he didn’t want to be drafted into the Army and be sent to Vietnam.

The Navy made Ron a corpsman and had him serve with the USMC. He was wounded trying to save the life of one of his Marines and the Navy medi-vacked him and gave him a Purple Heart and a Silver Star.

Ron was an E-5 in the Navy and assigned to the Marine Corps Recruit Depot in San Diego while he recuperated from his wounds. One day on his way back to the dispensary, Ron passed a gunnery Sergeant walking with a Marine 2LT. Ron was preoccupied and passed the LT without saluting. The next thing that Ron heard was the Gunnery Sergeant yelling at him, “Hey Boot!”

Fulkerson ignored the Gunny figuring that he must be yelling at a basic trainee. The Gunnery Sergeant ran to where Ron was walking and grabbed his arm, turning Ron around and started chewing him out for not saluting an officer. The LT walked up and told Ron that he was going to have to report to the commanding officer for not saluting him.

Fulkerson went to his room in the barracks and put on his ribbons then went to the commanding officer’s office. When he was called in to the CO’s office, the Gunny, the LT and the CO were all present.

The CO asked Ron for an explanation, and Ron replied that he hadn’t recognized the “Ensign” because he had never served in the Marine Corps with an officer who didn’t have any combat ribbons. Not only that but he wasn’t a “Boot” but an E-5. The CO laughed and told Ron that he was guilty of not saluting an officer and he would be restricted to his duty post until 1700 Hours.

I served in the Monterey Police Department with an Officer named, Ron Fulkerson. Ron had enlisted into the Navy for four years because he didn’t want to be drafted into the Army and be sent to Vietnam.

The Navy made Ron a corpsman and had him serve with the USMC. He was wounded trying to save the life of one of his Marines and the Navy medi-vacked him and gave him a Purple Heart and a Silver Star.

Ron was an E-5 in the Navy and assigned to the Marine Corps Recruit Depot in San Diego while he recuperated from his wounds. One day on his way back to the dispensary, Ron passed a gunnery Sergeant walking with a Marine 2LT. Ron was preoccupied and passed the LT without saluting. The next thing that Ron heard was the Gunnery Sergeant yelling at him, “Hey Boot!”

Fulkerson ignored the Gunny figuring that he must be yelling at a basic trainee. The Gunnery Sergeant ran to where Ron was walking and grabbed his arm, turning Ron around and started chewing him out for not saluting an officer. The LT walked up and told Ron that he was going to have to report to the commanding officer for not saluting him.

Fulkerson went to his room in the barracks and put on his ribbons then went to the commanding officer’s office. When he was called in to the CO’s office, the Gunny, the LT and the CO were all present.

The CO asked Ron for an explanation, and Ron replied that he hadn’t recognized the “Ensign” because he had never served in the Marine Corps with an officer who didn’t have any combat ribbons. Not only that but he wasn’t a “Boot” but an E-5. The CO laughed and told Ron that he was guilty of not saluting an officer and he would be restricted to his duty post until 1700 Hours.

Sad that a Navy Petty Officer had that little situational awareness. Hope his SA improved when he became a cop.

I seriously hate people calling me dude. I don't know what it is but I just can't stand it. I'm not your fucking surfer buddy.

I seriously hate people calling me dude. I don't know what it is but I just can't stand it. I'm not your fucking surfer buddy.

Don't be hating dude :p

I'm trying to get out of my bad habits of calling everyone mate, first name or Bro. I think my Lt was the only one who had a formal name and the was Boss. I'm so used to living in my nice safe compartmentalised bubble and now I have to deal with all types from the various trades :(

Free, what is the formal term for addressing a contractor? Would it be Sir or Mr/Mrs.

Free, what is the formal term for addressing a contractor? Would it be Sir or Mr/Mrs.

Either one would work. I normally don't care, but like I think there are respectful boundaries. If I know someone I generally don't mind first names as I've called many servicemembers of various ranks by their first names. If I don't know someone, if they aren't familiar to me, they are clearly addressed by rank and I think it is only right to afford me the same courtesy; It is a respect thing. For the record, I was raised to call everyone from 3 to 300 "Sir" or "Ma'am."

We recently had a Captain lose her mind during a one-on-one email exchange with a contractor. After several replies he didn't address her, he just replied to the email. It was respectful through and through. She responded with something to the effect of:
"Tom, In all correspondence you will address me as 'Captain Smith' or 'Ma'am.'

His response was: "Ma'am, in all correspondence you will address me as 'Mr. Jones' or 'Sir' because you and I are not on a first name basis."

She went ballistic, he went to the commander, she lost.

Don't be hating dude :p

I'm trying to get out of my bad habits of calling everyone mate, first name or Bro. I think my Lt was the only one who had a formal name and the was Boss. I'm so used to living in my nice safe compartmentalised bubble and now I have to deal with all types from the various trades :(

Once I was searching this Romanian fellow, I sent him over to a bench and said "chuck yer bags up on the bench there mate" (I was trying to establish rapport early). The Chief heard and called me over and said "It's chuck your bags up on the bench SIR, not mate. No wait, I mean, it's please put your bags up on the bench there sir! Shit!" We had a good laugh about that. :D Even the RO was laughing!

Back