Dream of becoming a Ranger Advice

Justin Goodwin

Unverified
Hi, I am a junior in high school and want to join the U.S Army. I want to be a member of the 75th Ranger Regiment more than anything and am willing to do anything to reach this goal. I made one huge mistake though. I received informal probation for assisting my "friends" at the time by driving them to an empty house so they could rob it. I also took money they offered me from it. I am a good Christian and have high morals but made a horrible mistake while feeling pressured, and regret it everyday. My probation officer saw this, and that is why I got such a minor punishment. I am a D1 level runner, and would score around 270-300 on the PT Test. I am a 3.9 GPA student, and based off practice ASVAB tests, predict I would score high. I want to know if there is any way I could make it to the Regiment. I know the Option 40 is unavailable if a waiver is needed. Is there any way I could make it another route? I am ready to give up any scholarship I will be offered to run so I can serve this nation and pursue my dream in life of becoming a Ranger. I will do any amount of hard work to achieve this, I am just asking for guidance and advice to begin the work. Thank you.

More than likely, you won't get the option 40. Doesn't mean you can't apply, but regardless of the circumstances, having a charge of being an "accessory to a robbery" nugget in your background isn't going to bode well. Hopefully, you got this pled down to a misdemeanor and hasn't remained on your record as a felony.

Best alternative - 11B with an Option 4. You have 2 chances here.

1. Work your ass off, keep your nose clean, excel at everything that comes your way and possibly get picked up by the 75th RR Recruiting TM sometime before shipping to another unit, while still in training.

2. Complete your training, do some time in the 82nd, get both time, technical and tactical expertise under your belt and some leadership experience, then apply for a slot at RASP. Time wise? Think 2-3 years as ideal.

More than likely, you won't get the option 40. Doesn't mean you can't apply, but regardless of the circumstances, having a charge of being an "accessory to a robbery" nugget in your background isn't going to bode well. Hopefully, you got this pled down to a misdemeanor and hasn't remained on your record as a felony.

Best alternative - 11B with an Option 4. You have 2 chances here.

1. Work your ass off, keep your nose clean, excel at everything that comes your way and possibly get picked up by the 75th RR Recruiting TM sometime before shipping to another unit, while still in training.

2. Complete your training, do some time in the 82nd, get both time, technical and tactical expertise under your belt and some leadership experience, then apply for a slot at RASP. Time wise? Think 2-3 years as ideal.
Thank you sir.

Back