Drilling Out Live Rounds

Marauder06

Intel Enabler
Verified SOF
I have a .30 caliber rifle bullet and a .45 caliber pistol round from WWII that belonged to my grandfather. I'd like to drill them out and render them inert. Based on what I've learned, it seems like it would be safe for me to put some padding around the rounds, put them in a bench vise, and simple drill in (from the side, not from the primer). It does not appear that drilling will cause the powder to ignite. Anything else I should be concerned about?

I have a .30 caliber rifle bullet and a .45 caliber pistol round from WWII that belonged to my grandfather. I'd like to drill them out and render them inert. Based on what I've learned, it seems like it would be safe for me to put some padding around the rounds, put them in a bench vise, and simple drill in (from the side, not from the primer). It does not appear that drilling will cause the powder to ignite. Anything else I should be concerned about?
Or use a bullet puller to remove the bullet, drain make the primer inert, and punch the primer out.

Soak in water? Edit- Not sure if this will work but most of the ammo issues I've heard of involved water damage while stored.

Last edited:
In truth, drilling shouldn’t create a problem. The gunpowder isn’t explosive; the primer is. But once you empty out the powder you’d still need to handle the primer to make the shell inert.

Back