Eagle Scout Roll Call!

I think our troop was a little different because everyone went into Order of the Arrow at some point, so they knew they'd just have to wait. I'm sure yours was at least a little more hardcore than mine though. It certainly wasn't easy, but as I understand it, most scout stuff was pretty intense not even that long ago.

We only had a couple before the troop broke up. We lost our Scout Master a couple of years later, and no one came in to replace him.

I never heard of the Order of the Arrow. In Sea Explorers we had the Order of the Barnacle. You had to be a super badass to get it. Like I was. And it helped if you had big feet :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

IMG_20151110_0001.jpg
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: I wish I could "like" stuff on here. I would like it, then dislike it, only to like it again. At least four times.

The "hate" my response to the O.P. received aside, I still think the word "community" has become overused and the idea of an Eagle Scout "community" is funny. That's neither here nor there, obviously it takes a lot of work to achieve the Eagle rank. A local scout here in Minneapolis is doing his final project to help Vet's...stories like this give me some hope for the future.

http://www.startribune.com/edina-bo...he-call-of-duty-to-help-veterans/345369342/#1

As part of his Eagle Scout project, Ashbrook decided to collect dry goods and other nonperishable items for Fisher House in Minneapolis, part of a network of houses near VA hospitals that provide a home away from home at no cost for family members of veterans who are being treated.

Throughout October, Ashbrook and some of his Scout colleagues left notices on neighbors’ houses that they would be collecting for the project. Ashbrook, an Edina High School sophomore, also made a plea during services at Calvary Lutheran Church in Edina.

More than 150 grocery bags of collections later, Ashbrook was prepared to deliver the goods, only to find out that Fisher House is closed for remodeling and can’t accept his offerings until mid-November.

The "hate" my response to the O.P. received aside, I still think the word "community" has become overused and the idea of an Eagle Scout "community" is funny. That's neither here nor there, obviously it takes a lot of work to achieve the Eagle rank.
On the contrary, I think it's worth talking about.

Either you're not clear on the definition of community, or you have some fundamental problem with the Boy Scouts in general. Why is it so hard to accept?
Community: A social, religious, occupational, or other group sharing common characteristics or interests and perceived or perceiving itself as distinct in some respect from the larger society within which it exists. (the definition of community)

How is it funny? You still haven't explained that.
How is it overused? There are communities everywhere. This forum is a community. My Services Marketing class is a community. Perhaps what you are thinking is people living a smaller area like a city is a community. This is true, but people don't have to live in any sized-specific area to be communal (aside from a BSA member being inside the US).
Sure, maybe the community doesn't interact frequently and/or perform tasks to benefit the other (even though they do through networking). Nonetheless, it's a community.

As for the project, that's awesome. Strange how that got approved, though. They aren't supposed to be collection projects, yet it benefits a community that people respect. Good for him.
As for Eagle projects in general, it has to be a "service project helpful to any religious institution, any school, or your community" (scouting.org). If the one above gives you hope, I would think that most other projects instill the same feeling. Sure there's some "lamer" projects like a tiny bridge across a stream that are questionably helpful.

I'm not trying to be long-winded here, just presenting my case.

RJ

@RetPara
I'm assuming this has something to do with it becoming, i guess, easier? Or less in touch with the original values of scouting? I'd guess both.

Dad's funeral was standing room only; I was really shocked. The town damn near shut down that day.

Scouting has gotten non-inclusive that I can see. Not allowing gay scouts, while pedophiles in the leadership is as bad as Catholic Church was. Scout has become MUCH more political and too much of the leadership really don't know what is like to be in the woods. Also it's cliquish. If you aren't one of the kool aid drinkers about scout doctrine... you don't get far. The experience with the LDS and their Eagle Mills really was sickening. I can remember one night when Dad was a District Commissioner that he was part of the Council leadership from Wichita shut a troop down for being an Eagle Mill. It was an LDS troop. They ran night school to produce 14 year old Eagle Scouts. Wrong answer; it's supposed to be a individual effort.

OA was 'cool' but unless you were in one of the larger troops from around Bartlesville; didn't do much.

Maybe they are Eagle Mills...idk, their service projects were pretty legit where I was from. I remember some of these service projects all of a sudden a guy who'd been out of the troop for three years but just needed to knock out his project and he was good, came back and did so. That annoyed the hell out of me, guys that wouldn't show for troop meetings but you want me to go dig a trench?

One of the cooler projects I've seen is the Butterfield Range complex in Las Cruces, a kid with sponsors of course, built a range for trap and skeet with the houses, several pistol bays, a KD range that went out to 1k yd, 100yd rifle range, covered pistol range, 600 yd rifle range and some other stuff. On the rifle ranges you already have target frames so all you have to do is bring targets to staple. Not sure how you get access to the trap houses. The Range is unmanned, but maintained by the Las Cruces Parks Department. I used to shoot on some BLM property, but this place is worth the drive.

I made it to First Class but got bored with it. Started chasing girls and working. I wish I would have stuck with it. It would have been nice to be an Eagle when my boy startes cub scout's.

@Ooh-Rah that meme is funny as hell.

Not ashamed to admit that I made Eagle and couldn't get my girlfriend's bra off.

In my own defense, though, the garment was working near it's maximum load rating. :sneaky::thumbsup:

Back