Editorial -The U.S. Constitution: Time to update, to ensure a functioning government

They would be open to special interests "jobs". The idea of high salaries was to trump that.

But they are basically doing that now anyway. It's kinda of silly to pay them a high salary, plus all the benefits and they are still sitting on corporate boards or acting as a advisors with guaranteed jobs after they leave office. How many people showed up middle class and left a millionaire?

I disagree. In MD, it's all about "gettin' me and mines" so they electorate is very interested in all the free shit the get offered to just vote. The democrat voters here are VERY interested and active (e.g. recent election in Baltimore had more votes than registered voters).

Lindy, that's not involvement in the governing and policing of the country and community, that's laziness and greed.

But they are basically doing that now anyway. It's kinda of silly to pay them a high salary, plus all the benefits and they are still sitting on corporate boards or acting as a advisors with guaranteed jobs after they leave office. How many people showed up middle class and left a millionaire?

Post-USG employment is totally different. Any knowledge, skills, and abilities acquired from USG employment is like having a non-civilian MOS in the military.

Are you advocating that former USMIL be barred from security contracts or running their own security companies?

Post-USG employment is totally different. Any knowledge, skills, and abilities acquired from USG employment is like having a non-civilian MOS in the military.

Are you advocating that former USMIL be barred from security contracts or running their own security companies?

No. But I think there is a difference between having a skill set desired by the private sector vs passing laws that benefit a business for a big paying job after you leave office. Similar to high ranking officers influencing equipment fielding, retiring to work "as an advisor" for the same company that benefited. I'm not saying that is always the case, but I think it's a bit unethical and contributes to the corruption that is becoming overly rampant.

No. But I think there is a difference between having a skill set desired by the private sector vs passing laws that benefit a business for a big paying job after you leave office. Similar to high ranking officers influencing equipment fielding, retiring to work "as an advisor" for the same company that benefited. I'm not saying that is always the case, but I think it's a bit unethical and contributes to the corruption that is becoming overly rampant.

Just like this doooooossssshhhhhh.

Keith Alexander's Unethical Get-Rich-Quick Plan

The 16th amendment was one of the worst things to ever happen to this country. The 17th pretty much blows too...

I wonder why some believe that an "efficient" government is necessary for a functioning country. By efficient, I mean the controlling party's ability to pass its agenda without obstruction. Many people compare the US system to the British Parliamentary system so let's look at the British Parliament. It is extremely efficient in that it can certainly pass its agenda with basically no problem. Assuming an outright majority, anything the controlling party want to pass, it can pass without even glancing in the opposition's direction As the Prime Minister(executive) basically has the say in what happens legislatively.

Our Founding Fathers specifically setup a government that prevented that sort of "efficiency" because a government that can pass its agenda without obstruction can easily usurp the rights of the people from whom it derives legitimate power. A government doesn't need to continuously legislate every minute detail for a nation to function. Why not let the harmony of self-interested actors play out for a while like Adam Smith suggests, and create policies that address the problems that arise out of that instead of letting people proactively legislate what they consider progress without considering the third and fourth order effects. The only problem with our government is that our inefficiency has an affect on our operating budgets and national debt. Address those issues instead of kicking the can down the road and let the people run their country instead of trying to legislate every aspect of social interaction.

The only thing I do agree with is forcing the Senate to hold a hearing on a candidate within a certain time period. Precedence has been set in the past that the refusal of the Senate to hold a hearing constitutes a "no" verdict which really only amounts to BS partisan politics and leaves the nation's highest court at the possibility of leaving a serious matter at a split decision. If anything, I would advocate expanding the role of the court to reign in the Executive Branch. I'm looking at you EPA.

Now, get back in front of your TV and do what they tell you.

It's a viewscreen, the Thought Police and Ministry of Love use it to watch us, Mr. Smith....

Next thing, you'll go all Harrison Bergeron and bust off the chains, mask and lead boots.

(for you younger and or unread members, use the googleinternetsmachinethingy and see if you can find the referenced works, read them, they are scathing indictments of what is currently happening, and were written long enough ago to be truly scary.)

It's a viewscreen, the Thought Police and Ministry of Love use it to watch us, Mr. Smith....

Next thing, you'll go all Harrison Bergeron and bust off the chains, mask and lead boots.

(for you younger and or unread members, use the googleinternetsmachinethingy and see if you can find the referenced works, read them, they are scathing indictments of what is currently happening, and were written long enough ago to be truly scary.)

Scathing indictment or how-to manual?

Back