EOD pipeline

Grayboyd

Unverified
Hey guys Im waiting to ship out in May on an EOD contract with the Navy. Im eager and can't wait to get started. With that being said any information on the day to day life in Dive School and EOD School would be much appreciated, I understand it's very rigorous training and I'm well prepared my PST scores are as follows
10:17 - 1.5 mile run
92 push-ups in 2 minutes
76 sit-ups in 2 minutes
16 pullups no time limit
9:14 - 500 yard swim

Any tips as to where I need improvement, or any insight on the pipeline at all would be much appreciated.

I'll start off by saying I'm not an EOD tech, nor SOF. I have a very good friend who's currently in some hot, dry, sandy country with an EODMU from SOCAL. We've chatted about the fun times he had in P-cola on many occasions while consuming adult beverages. So, you can take what I have to say with a grain of salt or at face value.
Your 1.5 mile run needs to be quicker. Shoot for sub 10:00.
Do EOD guys swim CSS or freestyle? If it's CSS, it's a pretty good time, keep trying to get it under 9:00. If it's freestyle, it's very slow.
Aside from the running, pushing, pulling, sitting and swimming you'll do, be prepared to have your ass handed to you on a regular basis in the pool. There's a big difference between someone's who's a good swimmer and someone who's comfortable being uncomfortable in the water. You'll need to be both.
Again, just my $.02

A
I'll start off by saying I'm not an EOD tech, nor SOF. I have a very good friend who's currently in some hot, dry, sandy country with an EODMU from SOCAL. We've chatted about the fun times he had in P-cola on many occasions while consuming adult beverages. So, you can take what I have to say with a grain of salt or at face value.
Your 1.5 mile run needs to be quicker. Shoot for sub 10:00.
Do EOD guys swim CSS or freestyle? If it's CSS, it's a pretty good time, keep trying to get it under 9:00. If it's freestyle, it's very slow.
Aside from the running, pushing, pulling, sitting and swimming you'll do, be prepared to have your ass handed to you on a regular basis in the pool. There's a big difference between someone's who's a good swimmer and someone who's comfortable being uncomfortable in the water. You'll need to be both.
Again, just my $.02[/QUOTE

Yeah I've been killing myself getting my times down. I'm puttin ten miles a week in on the beach and another 12-15 on the road. And yeah we swim CSS every time we've PSTed I manage to cut a few seconds off so I'm confident I'll be sub nine by the time I ship.

I was in the Army, so I've got absolutely nothing I can contribute to life at dive school. However, I can give you a few pointers about life at NAVSCOLEOD. It might be a little dated, as some of my classmates have been recent instructors, but some information is timeless.

Be prepared for early days and late nights. The information will be coming fast, like drinking water from a fire hose. Study hall is mandatory, as you can't take the study materials with you. You also have access to the practical areas during study hall. USE IT!!! Practice your tool placement and use the nonexplosive ones, such as the mechanical impact wrench.

There always seems to be one subdivision that chews everyone up. It goes in cycles with no rhyme or reason. When I went through, it was dispensers and payloads in Air Ordnance Division. Just before, it was bombs. For a while after, it was tools and methods. It happens. Just go with it. If you fail a test, you'll get a retest. If you bollocks that (what we call a double tap), you go up in front of the academic review board. They will look at your overall performance to date, they will speak to you and your instructors, and they will decide if you get another chance. If you do, you'll have what's called the do-or-die. That's self-explanatory. Fail that, and you're "needs of the Navy."

You'll most likely start in a Navy only class. If you double tap, you'll roll into whatever class is going through the subdivision and has an opening, so you could be the only squid in a class of soldiers and Marines, whether you're up on your shots or not ;-). As the Navy runs the school, you'll get priority on openings.

All this, and you're still going to be priming your liver for life on active duty. After all, EOD techs are known for their ability to consume large amounts of booze. That leaves you with a whole lot of room to step on your dick. Do enjoy yourself, but don't fuck yourself. There were several people that got bounced for showing up for class late and still drunk. That was back when the military was desperate for bodies to throw into the IED fight; it's definitely much less forgiving now.

They take academic dishonesty very seriously there. Don't tempt fate on that. At the same time, if the instructor gives the class a wink and a nod, take it! You'll know those openings when you see it.

All told, you're going to be building the bonds that is the brotherhood of the EOD community, regardless of service branch. You're joining a community of the bravest (it sounds nicer than craziest) souls the military has to offer. We do a job that even most members of the SOF community would not do if they could help it. Trust me on that. Take a walk at the Memorial while you're there, and read the names. Learn about some of them. Attend the induction ceremony the first Saturday in May. Your instructors will have friends, family, and classmates on that wall, as I do. That is the reason they're gonna ride you: not to be a gatekeeper, but to make damn sure your name doesn't wind up on that wall.

And you have to go to the Matador at least once while you're there. }:-)}:-)8-)

Wow, yeah I'll certainly make good use of study time, one of the EOD Chiefs in charge of my prep right now spares no words on emphasizing how academically stressful it can be. Thanks for all the wisdom and insight and most of all your service. Can't wait to get to it.

I was fortunate enough to get 90 days OJT before I reported to the course as a reclass troop. Two hints for you: learn your ordnance type by function, and 60-A-1-1-22 saves lives. You may not remember specifically what its nomenclature might be, but you'll know what it is (and isn't), and that drives what safety precautions from 1-1-22 you'll observe.

Iraq and Afghanistan forced us to think and work outside of the box in the IED fight, but remember what the O stands for. That's our bread and butter, and it's suffered some as a result.

If Chief hasn't brought that up already, talk to him about it. Initiative is a good thing.

And don't forget, you still have to keep yourself healthy, unbroken and out of trouble until you ship. Then you have to make it through boot camp. I saw guys lose contracts in the first week of boot camp because of shit that should have been caught at MEPS before they ever earned their NSO/NSW contract. Then you have to make it through EOD Prep. RK has provided some great insight, but you have a very long way to go before you make it to P-cola. Keep that in mind as you continue to progress and keep us updated as you see fit.

Yeah I know what you mean Skrewzloose, I made sure to tell them everything I could think of at MEPS just to make sure I don't have something come up down the line. I had a buddy on SWCC contract get dropped in boot for some bs documentation in his med kit. He's gotten another contract for SWCC since then but it still set him back an entire year.

Back