EOTech help???

fox1371

Exitiabilis
Verified Military
I haven't been around in a little while due to work but I've come into some problems and figured I'd check out what input you guys have. We're all working with the EOTech 552 and noticed some things that we are not sure are correct. After spending some time zeroing from 25m I finally managed to get a good zero with my shot group being with 3/4". I then went back to the 50m line and shot again and found that my shot group was 6-8" above the point of aim. I found this to be quite a drastic change and was wondering if this is normal. Confirmed all of this with 3 different shooters and all of their shot groups were much higher at 50m, however some were only 3" higher while others were as high as mine. I'm not very well versed on the EOTech at all so any input is always appreciated.

Yes it's normal and has nothing to do with EoTech, it's more so to do with the line of bore vs the height of the sight from the bore line and distance of range. 50m BZO will give you a pretty flat bullet flight from 50-250 roughly 2.5 inches in change. However it's high at 0 to 50m, normally about 4 inchs but can very from rifle to rifle, you also are about 8 inchs low at 300m.

How many battery/ power failures do you guys see with EOTech's?

Speaking for my team- None. No problems at all, actually. In fact, we still have a very very very very veryveryvery old early model on one of our less-lethal shotguns and it worked just fine the other night when a beanbag was called for.

I'm still getting used to the Eotech magnifier; I'm planning to run it through its paces getting ready for/shooting at the NPRC.

Yes it's normal and has nothing to do with EoTech, it's more so to do with the line of bore vs the height of the sight from the bore line and distance of range. 50m BZO will give you a pretty flat bullet flight from 50-250 roughly 2.5 inches in change. However it's high at 0 to 50m, normally about 4 inchs but can very from rifle to rifle, you also are about 8 inchs low at 300m.

This is pretty much why our team adopted the 50m zero.

...entire post...

The 50m zero with an M4 allows for the least amount of bullet travel (or hold off). This info can be found all over the internet, many times with specific ballistic tables, graphs, and sweet videos. Line of sight, line of bore, bullet trajectory all play a role. JAB covered it pretty well. 50m zero puts your point of aim/point of impact out to 200m, meaning you hit what you aim at (the 1MOA red dot in the center of an EOTech) at 50m and 200m. Down and dirty, but there is so much info out there open source you can do the research on your own. Green Eyes Black Rifles is an excellent source.

I'm sorry but...I thought EOTech was for very close range targets (or close)... have you to break into Madison Square Garden?.. LOL
wow... not bad... but EOTech is made to point the target with both eyes... (istinctive shooting)

While the EOT may be considered a true "reflexive sight", it's as accurate as your eyes and the shooter. It allows you to use both eyes in a CQC/CQB type environment, but you can close one eye for the distant shot if you need to. Ive done both, with comparable distance (400-600m) with no magnification. If you know your hold off, and can actually shoot a weapon, the EOT is a great sight. And the flip down 3x mag you can get makes distance shooting feasible, too.

How many battery/ power failures do you guys see with EOTech's?
I have never had a batt problem with the EOT, and I have used both the double A and the 123 versions. Something like 800 hours battery life.

This is pretty much why our team adopted the 50m zero.
Your team is right.

Speaking for my team- None.

I have never had a batt problem with the EOT, and I have used both the double A and the 123 versions. Something like 800 hours battery life.

Interesting and thank you for the replies. I ask because I've been told (I have zero experience with them) that the springs in the battery compartment would lose tension and cause the sight to die. I don't have a dog in the fight, I was curious what your experiences were. Danke.

Interesting and thank you for the replies. I ask because I've been told (I have zero experience with them) that the springs in the battery compartment would lose tension and cause the sight to die. I don't have a dog in the fight, I was curious what your experiences were. Danke.

Sounds like some stuff that Mr. Pat Rogers has been putting out.................and I would not agree with him on it.9mths in Anbar and never had to change batts once.JPG

9mths in Anbar on one set of batteries and not one problem.

Pat Rogers? I've read enough on that guy to discount his opinions.

Okay, I had a buddy take his carbine course and came back telling me the same stuff about the batteries......So I figured it was the same stuff he was spreading. My persoanl experince with the EOTech, is that the AA battery model's are better in regards to longevity. I am all EOTech & ACOG for a carbine.....

Yea, I have never had a battery die on me, and I have used an EOT my entire career. Never had a problem with a single EOT losing "spring integrity" either, I have used the same one now for about 2 years at home station. Batteries loaded the entire time.

Doesn't mean there isn't an issue; just means I haven't had it, ya dig?

I'm anal and mandate battery changes once a month, but I know that it's probably unnecessary even if we leave the sights on for 8 hours a day (using the automatic shut off, which is what I do). I've never seen the low batt warning; I just like to be careful.

I've never had one fail to work. Some of ours have been dropped, they get bumped in the cars, they're generally abused. They just work. Which isn't surprising, since I'm unlikely to stress the system as much as a deployed infantryman will, and the EoTechs seem to work just fine in that environment.

I may replace mine someday (particularly if I get a good price after the T&E of the newer models I'm setting up :sneaky: ) but it's running fine and it's about 8 years old.

Awesome information. I will be re-zeroing at 50m and have been suggesting that others do the same. Another example of my love for the site haha.

I hate the EOTech. I'm a 68 Kinda guy, that stupid thing used to shut off in firefights left and right. That's the LAST thing I need when balls deep in someones house and we're being engaged. Same thing on stress shoots too, I've had a horrible time with the thing killing itself. My team had NO SHIT, 2/75s fastest run time during CS a couple years ago, but we all had EOTechs and they all kept shutting off so we ended up missing pie targets. YES, we did PCC's PCI's and shit, the sight just sucks ass.

Back