Estate Sale Ribbon Rack

Chopstick

Verified Estrogen Brigade
I saw this posted in a "US Army Vets" Facebook page that a friend invited me to. This was apparently purchased at a yard sale by one of the people in that group. Typical of FB there was a lot of bashing as to why anyone would buy/sell such an item at an estate sale. However, no one completely posted a lucid answer at to what all of these ribbons actually are. I have not a clue nor do I have any idea who these belonged to or where they were purchased. I think it is a little sad that these ended up in a yard sale. I thought it would be nice to post it here so that it's owner could live on a bit as it were, with the military members of SS.

rack.jpg

This may be a rack of a WWII vet.

Ribbons in order: Broze Star w/V 2d award, Meritorious Service Ribbon, Joint Service Commendation, Army Commendation 3d award, Army Good Conduct, Army Defense Service, American Campaign, European-African Middle Eastern Campaign 7th award w/arrow [ given for either: Combat parachute drop, glider attack, helicopter assault landing, or amphibious assault], World War II Victory, Army of Occupation, National Defense 2d award, Armed Forces Reserve. The way they are stacked they may have been worn on a dress uniform. Also, that last ribbon shows he was a reservest. I would say he saw some action.

I don't know why people get upset when this kind of stuff turns up for sale. It's an old ribbon rack. Most longtime service members have multiple ones. If the former owner is like a majority of veterans, he was probably buried wearing the rack that mattered to him.

I bet if I went out in my garage right now I could dig up at least ten old ribbon racks that I've had over the years. The ribbons get dirty, one will fall off and get a hole in it, or you'll get a new award or two and need to upgrade the rack. None of my previous racks or ribbons mean the slightest bit to me. I've got one that I care about, and my family knows which one it is.

When I'm gone, I hope they bury me with the ribbons that are attached to my dress blues, and don't worry about what people on the Internet think about what they do with any of the other ones that I haven't managed to divest myself of.

Makes a lot of sense. I was looking at some pics of the NZDF formals and it looks like they wear the ribbons lower on the breast than you guys do so probably why I hadn't seen it before.

Funny this thread turned up. My FIL recently passed away. 6th Marines plus a stint guarding nukes at Campbell ( the bunkers the 160th uses during green platoon) as a machine gunner in the late 50’s, early 60’s. Anyway, we have his rifle and pistol qualification badges and his good conduct medal. I think my wife has others from him, but I’m not sure.

Given that her sister doesn’t know anything about the military, or care, and my wife and I both served… I told her to bring home every military-related anything and we’ll go from there.

He was also a Seabee in the Navy Reserve, so there’s no telling what he has in his home.

Back