Exceptional Qualifications at BUDs

Infinitejest12

Unverified
What are the age limitations for being commissioned as a Navy officer assigned to SEAL training?

Applicants must be at least 19 years of age and commissioned before their 29th birthday at time of commissioning. Age waivers will be considered for active or previously active duty enlisted personnel or civilians who possess particularly exceptional qualifications, provided they can be commissioned prior to their 42nd birthday. Waivers will be considered by BUPERS 311-D.

Why would the Navy have waivers for civilians at that age? And what are these exceptional qualifications any examples?

Prior SOF probably. Maybe language skills.
That is my best guess. I’m not actually in contact with anyone who gives out contracts, so I will keep this in mind for the future

The Navy has always had moving targets with age waivers for commission, based on needs of the service and "exceptional qualifications". As an unrestricted line officer, it's difficult to get age waivers unless you have something the Navy really wants.

Been a while since I was there, but most of the age waivers (O and E alike) in the four classes I saw go through were interservice SOF transfers or had some other high demand skill set. Mostly AF PJs and Recon Marines, but some were Intel guys, some were trilingual Harvard grads, and some were IDC corpsmen. All of them were remarkable people and had some kind of ace-in-the-hole skill set/high-profile LOR that got them in the door. Depending on manning levels and year groups, age waivers seem to be an ebb and flow kind of thing depending on what the ECM needs/wants at a given time. Give him something he can't refuse and he probably won't. One thing is for sure either way: where there is a will, there is a waiver. Good luck friend.

Been a while since I was there, but most of the age waivers (O and E alike) in the four classes I saw go through were interservice SOF transfers or had some other high demand skill set. Mostly AF PJs and Recon Marines, but some were Intel guys, some were trilingual Harvard grads, and some were IDC corpsmen. All of them were remarkable people and had some kind of ace-in-the-hole skill set/high-profile LOR that got them in the door. Depending on manning levels and year groups, age waivers seem to be an ebb and flow kind of thing depending on what the ECM needs/wants at a given time. Give him something he can't refuse and he probably won't. One thing is for sure either way: where there is a will, there is a waiver. Good luck friend.

You are not a vetted member of the site, much less a green tagged member. Please refrain from commenting from a point of experience until you get vetted.

Everyone else, go forth and sin no more!

Where do you find this Info about being 42 years old?

I see it on a generic Navy recruiting site; I do know in 2018 they raised max age for enlisted to 39. Some designators (210x, 220x, 290x and 410x) can be waived into the 50s. I have yet to see URL waiver at 42. Doesn't mean it doesn't exist; however, likely does mean it's such a unicorn that it rarely happens. Navy OCS ain't BUDS, the Q, or Ranger school, but it's not a walk in the park either. Hard to see someone that old getting through OCS.

I see it on a generic Navy recruiting site; I do know in 2018 they raised max age for enlisted to 39. Some designators (210x, 220x, 290x and 410x) can be waived into the 50s. I have yet to see URL waiver at 42. Doesn't mean it doesn't exist; however, likely does mean it's such a unicorn that it rarely happens. Navy OCS ain't BUDS, the Q, or Ranger school, but it's not a walk in the park either. Hard to see someone that old getting through OCS.

In this case they are referring someone going to OCS And commissioning BEFORE going to BUD/S. They are going to be sore...

Back