Eye Surgery Correction Disqualifiers for PJ/CCT

Dubards

Unverified
Hello All

I spoke with my AF recruiter about Pararescue requirements and was set with PRK to get my vision to 20/20, when the surgeon noticed a cataract in my left eye.

My vision is still correctable in both eyes to meet the 20/20 standard, but my surgeon wants to perform cataract surgery (IOL) in the left eye and PRK for the right.

My recruiter says there is no way of knowing if cataract surgery (regardless of outcome) is disqualifying. She suggests getting the surgery done ASAP and that the only way to know is "is by sending up the medical documents after the surgery and having the chief medical officer look at it".

I have looked at AFMAN/ AFI 48-123 and noted the clear standard. I have also asked the AF, and they said corrected-to-standard eyesight is potentially waiverable on an individual case-by-case basis, so no disqualifying condition.

Given the expense of the surgery for what may be an already disqualifying condition, I wanted to ask if anyone has knowledge/experience with cataract surgery/IOL and waivers in going for PJ/CCT?

Thanks.

Thanks, Red Flag 1.

I had a hunch it wasn't a pleasant surprise, but I understand it. Eyesight is a job requisite in SO/SF for good reason.

The surgeon said he was surprised as well to find a cataract at my age. No trauma to the eye with the cataract that I specifically remember, and we joked that if I hit my head that hard I probably wouldn't remember the head trauma.

If you do find anything USAF-specific I would greatly appreciate the heads up.

Thanks again.

Thanks again, Red Flag 1.

It's not the best news, but I was looking for a clear, no BS answer and I think I got one.

Based on the info, my chances at PJ/CCT look grim due to the cataract. I suspect IOL is not waiverable due to the similarity with LASIK (which, I think, would DQ me from Dive/Jump Schools).

Hard to see a way through with this one. I'll get back with my recruiter and go over options moving forward.

I really appreciate the help. If you find anything else, I would again appreciate the heads up.

Much respect and Thanks.

Thank you for the encouragement, @Red Flag 1.

It's hard to let this one go, but then again I wouldn't have been much of a PJ if a setback like this kept me from contributing to my country and serving my community, now and in the future.

Onward and upward.

On the bright side, I enjoy the SS forums. The intelligent comments, the unintelligent comments, arguments/discussions, humor, range of topics, and general irreverence for just about everything and anything are a great read.

Thanks.

Back